You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default How much does angle matter in distance?

Just a question I have and am considering getting a new range finder. Does the angle really make that much difference in shot distance.
    I performed a practical experiment. I measured with my Bushnell Yardage Pro from the base of the tree 20, 30, 40 yds then climbed to my preferred ht ~25 feet and checked the yardage, was the same 20, 30, and 40 yds. I held right on and shot dead on with maybe 1-2 of 5 arrows hitting no more that 1-1.5 inches high.
    In hunting scenerio, I had a doe at 45 yds with a downward angle, held for 45 yds and just barely cut the hair on top of back. Was it me? or did the angle make a difference?
    What is your experience
    Mathews Switchback XT/ 70 lb/Easton ST Epic 340/Rage 3 blade/Sims Mini S coil/Trophy Ridge Outfitter 5 pin/Ripcord rest/TruBall release

"I'll see you around, 'round my home town"
    Charlie Robison

Quote Originally Posted by sugarray View Post
    Just a question I have and am considering getting a new range finder. Does the angle really make that much difference in shot distance.
    I performed a practical experiment. I measured with my Bushnell Yardage Pro from the base of the tree 20, 30, 40 yds then climbed to my preferred ht ~25 feet and checked the yardage, was the same 20, 30, and 40 yds. I held right on and shot dead on with maybe 1-2 of 5 arrows hitting no more that 1-1.5 inches high.
    In hunting scenerio, I had a doe at 45 yds with a downward angle, held for 45 yds and just barely cut the hair on top of back. Was it me? or did the angle make a difference?
    What is your experience

Usually the grade has to be at 5% or more before you will notice any difference. Usually I don't make any adjustments until about 8% and that's only about two yards.
    As for if it was your or the angel I would say who knows. Depending on if the deer could hear or see that arrow before impact she may have squatted, seen it happen. My hunting rig is shooting 287 and all my pins at 40 plus are set two yards light for that reason. So if you did not compensate for the angel and she jumped your arrow yes your can easily miss at that distance. Hope this helps.
    The more I learn the less I know

www.bkarchery.com
    T.R.U. Ball Release Aids
    Speciality Archery
    Victory Arrows
    Bohing Archery

Default Yes it does

Quote Originally Posted by sugarray View Post
    What is your experience
    Thats why most archers hit high when shooting from an elevated stand. I think the new rangefinder from Nikon will be a big hit. My Nikon 440 may never quit and Im not buying another one untell it stops.

Here the new one for archers.

Click Here
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te....form23&Go.x=9

Bust 'Em

sugarray funny you should mention this topic today.i went out to the local/public range to shoot with a buddy this morning after working all night.i walked up the shooting platform,probably 15" tall and the targets are on a pretty descent downhill grade.i at present don't have a range finder so i begin to shoot at the,what i guesstimate,30 yard target.i hold dead on my 30 yard gap and shoot 6" high.i say that i must have pulled so i fire another same story.so i deduce that if i shot that high to shoot my 20 yard pin even though i know full well that target is further away than 20 yards,when i shot with the 20 yard pin i hit dead nuts center.well after scratching my head for a couple minutes my buddy drives up.i ask him for his range finder,he has an older model before the arc/tbr,and it read right on 30 yards to the target that i had to use my 20 yard pin on.now i am shooting a hoyt katera 27" draw length,67 lbs,and a 385 grain axis arrow and it is flat shooting but it shouldn't be that flat shooting.so unless i have an extremely flat shooting bow i definently see the need for the arc/tbr feature on the new rangefinders.
    Whitearrow->>>------------------->

Default Here what some tournament archers use.

Actually it pretty dead on
    Attached Images Attached Images

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I don't climb very high with my stand, maybe 15-16ft.; If I hold under 2-3" it seems to work OK.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Thats why most archers hit high when shooting from an elevated stand. I think the new rangefinder from Nikon will be a big hit. My Nikon 440 may never quit and Im not buying another one untell it stops.

Here the new one for archers.

Click Here
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te....form23&Go.x=9

We have them for $239.99, www.bkarchery.com look under optics and range finders.

www.bkarchery.com
    T.R.U. Ball Release Aids
    Speciality Archery
    Victory Arrows
    Bohing Archery

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2310 View Post
    We have them for $239.99, www.bkarchery.com look under optics and range finders.
    Do you actually have these in stock, I know someone looking for one.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

The farther away from the tree, the less angle and the less differance in distance. I have an angle compensation Nikon. At 20 yards from my tree I tend to shoot a little high because I can't always hold my form perfectly as I bend at the waste to shoot. When I draw as though I were going to shoot straight out fron the tree and hold that form well as I bend at the waste, my arrow hits the same 2" dot it does from the ground. Straight down, I have to aim at the inside rib of a deer to shoot just inside the spine. The more I bend, the less I can hold my form. However, I've found with my new ambush saddle, I can angle my whole body and in effect shoot from a standing possition, straight down. I'm dead on from 30' up with my 10 yard pin, if my form is good. In short, it was probably you, not the angle.

Default In stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Do you actually have these in stock, I know someone looking for one.
    I have a few suppliers, so I'm sure somone does. In most cases I can get them TYD in 3 days.

www.bkarchery.com
    T.R.U. Ball Release Aids
    Speciality Archery
    Victory Arrows
    Bohing Archery