You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default how good do you need to be?

Shooting limited compound indoor tournyments at 20 yard range how good do you need to be to compete at
    local tourneyments?

I mean I understand they are open to anyone but in our class we do scoring every week. 30 arrows and the max score is 300 points. Only the advanced people at this range shoot in the 290 to 300 point range and they all compete (some at the national level) all the tme.

Right now I am shooting in the 220 pt. range and have much to learn. Should I get to the 290 to 300 point range to compete? It may take a year or two of lessons to get to this point. Whats a good starting point for getting into tournys (and not getting my as* handed to me because I am stacked up agaist a room full of guys who can easily score 300 at at 20yards. )

Now this is just my opinion, but I would go ahead and compete. Don't worry about your scores. Find the best guys you can to shoot with and in time the scores will come around. Raise your goal each week and don't get frustrated. Practice as often as you can, and listen to those around you. Good Luck

MoBowman ```--------->
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

MoBowman is right. Go shoot the tournaments. You might make some new friends that can help you get to your goals. Don't worry too much about the scores right now, just go have fun.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Its all about having fun on the local level. Go and have fun, but don't forget to learn. Most shooters will help you improve is you will only take the time to ask. If you stay away till your good enough, you will never compete.

Darrel
    Pro Staff Positions:

True Spot Scopes
    Coffey Marketing
    WindStalker Cable Guard
    VaneTec vanes
    Prostring custom bow strings

Default I compete against myself

Best archer I know is my coach Dean Pridgen.

He said Dan you cant do nothing about the other mans score so dont worry about his score. Archery is challenging yourself to be the best you can be be.

Good book that explains this is With Winning in mind from Lanny Bassham.
    I have the audio tapes and listen to them often when headed to shoots.

Lannybassham.com is where you can fnd this.

He said Dan you cant do nothing about the other mans score so dont worry about his score. Archery is challenging yourself to be the best you can be be.
    I am a firm believer of what Dean is saying. If someone beats my score, that's fine. I don't get upset over it. I get upset with myself if I don't shoot well. I know what my score should be when I walk off a course.

Sometimes it's better than average, sometimes average and sometimes not.

I set goals in my shooting. However, do not make them so high you cannot achieve them. If your currently shooting in the 220's don't go to the next shoot and say to yourself you need to shoot 290. It's not realistic.

Set your goal at 240 or 250. When you reach this goal you will feel you have acheived something and you have. Now set a new goal and keep working at it.

Here is a tips for shooting indoors. Don't aim at the white, aim at the X. Aiming at the white gets you complacent. Indoor rounds are mentally challenging.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Smile I agree

I always try to beat my score from the week before. It's a new goal every week - well, most weeks. I have a bad week every now and then, but I guarantee if you try it you'll love it. Just have fun and don't put too much pressure on yourself.

I shoot inner 10 ring from 20 yards which is the size of a quarter. Scoring 300 is quite an amazing feat of accuracy, thats 30 arrows at 20 yards within < 1 inch grouping..

I beat my score from last week so I am happy

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    I am a firm believer of what Dean is saying. If someone beats my score, that's fine. I don't get upset over it. I get upset with myself if I don't shoot well. I know what my score should be when I walk off a course.

Sometimes it's better than average, sometimes average and sometimes not.

I set goals in my shooting. However, do not make them so high you cannot achieve them. If your currently shooting in the 220's don't go to the next shoot and say to yourself you need to shoot 290. It's not realistic.

Set your goal at 240 or 250. When you reach this goal you will feel you have acheived something and you have. Now set a new goal and keep working at it.

Here is a tips for shooting indoors. Don't aim at the white, aim at the X. Aiming at the white gets you complacent. Indoor rounds are mentally challenging.

I started shooting competitions this year. I dont even come close to the guys shooting in my class, but my competition is with myself. If I shoot a higher score its a good day, If not I try to figure out why. We also have a bunch of good shootes that are more than willing to help me out with my shooting.

keep shooting ?

i began my 2nd year of 3D shooting this june.

my score was still pretty poor 220 out of 30 targets but it was my best yet. with this said im setting obtainable goals each time i go out.

dont have alot of courses to get to without paying serious gas money..................so i do the best i can...............and as much as i can get by with (family obligations, etc.)

my fav course switched ownership/who's running it. it was set up pretty difficult and not very error friendly. (i.e. setting up small bear at 30yds with half of the ten ring blocked by a "V" tree)..................................also was presented with some targets i hadnt seen before (polar bear [all white] and some african species). hurry up spots 2 targets from one stake in a "V" ..................fun stuff. i could blame the rain (but im honest with myself and know that i need more practice at the 30-40 yard ranges).

so when the dust settled (or more like the rain stopped)..............i didnt feel too bad.

camoham

Default Make suggestions

Camoham,

You might make some suggestions to the new owners of the shoot you attend. Chances are this is their trial run, and they may not know what shooters are looking for. While some of those shots sound fun, they can be costly (arrows aren't cheap). Maybe you should mention that the course is extremely difficult for new shooters. If they aren't open to new ideas you can always shoot for practice and choose the distance you shoot from until you're ready to shoot from the stakes.

Paulie

they gave me fair warning.............so i didnt mean to seem like i was complaining...........

just experiencing a learning curve.

camoham