You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Broadhead question

How much accuracy should one give up.

My questions is simple.

I beleive one Broadhead will put a better hole. Better blood Trail.

Other broadhead shoots dead on accurate.

What is it that you look for in a broadhead?
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    How much accuracy should one give up.

My questions is simple.

I beleive one Broadhead will put a better hole. Better blood Trail.

Other broadhead shoots dead on accurate.

What is it that you look for in a broadhead?
    I got 3 deer and 1 turkey with 1 slick trick before I hit a branch and stuck it in a tree

At the cost of broadheads, That what I like about slick tricks, you can sharpen them and reuse them.

The arrows didn't hold up, but the slick trick did!

Huntin Junkie

Rage, give up no accuracy and cut a big hole. Some have problems with them, but I have seen none. JMO
    Introduce a kid to the outdoors, the American way depends on it

If you can read this, thank a teacher
    If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

08 82nd Airborne, 29" - 60 lbs - 300 fps
    Octane Hostage Pro
    Octane quiver
    G5 XR .019 sights, Meta peep
    Sims S-coil
    Carbon Force Radial X-weav, Rage 3-blade - 390 grn

06 Tribute, 27.5" - 284 fps

Default Hood

Quote Originally Posted by The Hood View Post
    I got 3 deer and 1 turkey with 1 slick trick before I hit a branch and stuck it in a tree

At the cost of broadheads, That what I like about slick tricks, you can sharpen them and reuse them.

The arrows didn't hold up, but the slick trick did!
    Its the SlickTricks Im not getting to group as well. New GrizzTricks.
    My Montecs will hit deadon. I shot the oringinal Slick Tricks and they flew better than these GrizzTricks. Thats my dilema. I know darn well these can group and most likely will get in the Vitals somewhere. I dont take long shoots on deer. I know darn well these Grizztricks are going to blast one hell if a hole.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Default reply

On short shots, I would go with the bigger head. 2'' hole 2'' right is better than 1'' hole dead on. But at distance, a well placed shot, no matter what size wound is key, I think.

Archery fanatic

I believe shot placement is everything, a fieldpoint well placed will kill a deer quick (i wouldnt use one) but you could lose a deer with a huge hole in its gut or brisket. Accuracy all the way.
    APEX 7 FOR PAPER & FOAM
    DXT FOR FLESH & BONE
    POSTEN, SWORD, COPPER JOHN, QAD, RC

Default grizztricks

Grizztricks dont shoot real bad. Groups usually end up in the white at 25yrds.

Obviously enough to hit the vitals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I personally would stick with the broadhead that shot better for me.

Nothing wrong with that DB. Any of those shots will do the job.
    Proud Member of the FBSA

3D for CP - www.archeryata.com/3dcp.html

I would never ever give up accuracy over a larger hole. I guess if something went wrong and you got a bad hit, a 1 1/4 over a 1 1/8 or 1 inch dia head may or may not make the differance in recovery....... hard to tell....... 1/8 inch diff is not alot. But if you go from a 2 inch group to a 6 with a bigger head, your pry going to get more marginal hits. I personaly wouldnt do it. my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
    On short shots, I would go with the bigger head. 2'' hole 2'' right is better than 1'' hole dead on. But at distance, a well placed shot, no matter what size wound is key, I think.
    I dont agree with this, 2 inches could be the differance between a fast kill, and a long night and next day, what if the deer moves 4 inches befor the arrow hits it? Then you missed your spot by 6 inches insted of 4. 4 inches could still be a good hit, and so could 6, but 6 could get bad depending on where you were aiming and how the animal was standing to begin with.

Default Bullspotter

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
    I would never ever give up accuracy over a larger hole. I guess if something went wrong and you got a bad hit, a 1 1/4 over a 1 1/8 or 1 inch dia head may or may not make the differance in recovery....... hard to tell....... 1/8 inch diff is not alot. But if you go from a 2 inch group to a 6 with a bigger head, your pry going to get more marginal hits. I personaly wouldnt do it. my .02
    I harvested six deer with Montecs last year. They shoot so accurate.
    But I got to admit the blood trail wasnt what I thought should happen.

Now SlickTricks make one heck of hole. If you cant track a deer with them something wrong. Check out this picture This icture is of a 14 yr old shooting 240fps.

Broadhead question - Bowhunting forum

Broadhead question - Bowhunting forum

All those arrow hit to the left of center. did you move your pin out some to adjust? I know mine is set where it belongs when i have arrows to both sides of center consistantly, if their all to the left, or all to the right, ill make an adjustment, Thats really not a bad group at 25 yards, but i think you could be a little closet to center. Not bashing you or anything, just something i noticed.

Default Arrows

All those arrow hit to the left of center. did you move your pin out some to adjust? I know mine is set where it belongs when i have arrows to both sides of center consistantly, if their all to the left, or all to the right, ill make an adjustment, Thats really not a bad group at 25 yards, but i think you could be a little closet to center. Not bashing you or anything, just something i noticed.

That picture they hit a little left. Others stayed all around the white for the most part. There not flying like field points. There able to stay in the white at 25 yrds.

Default What is everyone shooting in Broadheads

Lets hear it?

What is the differance in size of the montec, and the slick trick? ARE you sure those montecs are sharp? You wont always get good blood.

The cow elk i shot this year was a good lung shot from the ground, she went about 50-60 yards, and went right down, i gave her 2 hours be for going out their. Just because i didnt see where i hit her. The arrow went right though her, their was hardly any blood on the arrow, lots of fat and some hair, their was not any blood on the ground for pry 30 yards from where she was hit. The rest was from out of her nose and mouth. Their was no blood on her at all where the arrow went in, and a small amount on the exit side, but she was laying on this side when we got to her, she was already getting stiff, so im sure she was dead pretty fast. But i wanted to give her some time as i didnt see the arrow hit.

Default You think Montecs are not sharp

What is the differance in size of the montec, and the slick trick? ARE you sure those montecs are sharp? You wont always get good blood.

The cow elk i shot this year was a good lung shot from the ground, she went about 50-60 yards, and went right down, i gave her 2 hours be for going out their. Just because i didnt see where i hit her. The arrow went right though her, their was hardly any blood on the arrow, lots of fat and some hair, their was not any blood on the ground for pry 30 yards from where she was hit. The rest was from out of her nose and mouth. Their was no blood on her at all where the arrow went in, and a small amount on the exit side, but she was laying on this side when we got to her, she was already getting stiff, so im sure she was dead pretty fast. But i wanted to give her some time as i didnt see the arrow hit.

This shot last year was through the shoulder. Now notice the hole and blood was not good but this deer only went 40yrds at the most. Im always looking for something better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lets hear it?
    im shooting strikers for the first year.

Default My brother shoots them

im shooting strikers for the first year.

I got two packs free and set his bow up with them. There deadly sharp. Make no mistake Montecs shoot good. Im a big Montec fan. Tell you why most the best scores shot over the last several years at are broadhed tournament was with Montecs. They fly as close to fieldpoints as any broadhead.
    DB

I think their was some posting on here last season, about some of the montecs not being all that sharp. Thats why i asked, I do have freinds that use them, and some that use slick tricks also with no complaints. I still think some hits just will not give a good blood trail. Im in the same boat as you as far as looking for something better all the time. I hunt alot, with alot of differnt people who all use differnt equipment, Ive seen animals bleed tons and go a long ways before being done in, and some not hardly bleed at all, and expire within 30 yards.