You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question How to clean you bowstring???

How do you clean your bowstrings?? I was looking at mine yesterday and noticed they were starting to turn black inbetween the strands of the strings. My guess would be just dirts and dust that has collected on my strings through time. Is there something you can put on your strings that will clean this up. I wiped them down with a papertowel and it helped, but they are still dirty. What do you do to clear this up?? Can you use regular soap??
    HoYt TRYKON.........Enough said!!!!!!!

Referral Link for Hoyt1986 http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8025

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt1986 View Post
    How do you clean your bowstrings?? I was looking at mine yesterday and noticed they were starting to turn black inbetween the strands of the strings. My guess would be just dirts and dust that has collected on my strings through time. Is there something you can put on your strings that will clean this up. I wiped them down with a papertowel and it helped, but they are still dirty. What do you do to clear this up?? Can you use regular soap??
    I just use a little bit of dish detergent and water on a washcloth. Just rub it lightly and the old wax and dirt and stuff will come off. Rinse washcloth off with clean water and then wipe the string again. Let it dry and put some new wax on it.

Hope that helps.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    I just use a little bit of dish detergent and water on a washcloth. Just rub it lightly and the old wax and dirt and stuff will come off. Rinse washcloth off with clean water and then wipe the string again. Let it dry and put some new wax on it.

Hope that helps.

Ron
    Ron,

When you say dish detergent are you referring to Dawn or a product similar??
    HoYt TRYKON.........Enough said!!!!!!!

Referral Link for Hoyt1986 http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8025

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt1986 View Post
    Ron,

When you say dish detergent are you referring to Dawn or a product similar??
    Yes, exactly.... You can also use Simple Green. You just need to use a non-abrasive mild detergent that has a grease cutter in it. Dawn dish detergent would be as good as anything.

You'll also be surprised at how much dark stuff comes off the string and cable(s) if you have not done this cleaning in a while, or ever...

Ron

If itís on your hunting setup I would do the same but use scent free soap that you would use in the shower on your strings, this would eliminate the perfume smell getting on your strings thatís added to dish soap.

Good Luck!
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    If itís on your hunting setup I would do the same but use scent free soap that you would use in the shower on your strings, this would eliminate the perfume smell getting on your strings thatís added to dish soap.

Good Luck!
    Yeah, that's a good point....

Ron

Old Archer

Smile String Cleaning

Winners Choice makes a kit that contains a cleaner and there sting wax.
    First dewax your string using a piece of dental floss wrapped around your string. (Not serving Area). do this several times on all areas of string using a
    different spot on the floss or new piece of floss as needed. When your satisfied that all the wax is off, simply follow the directions for cleaning on the winners choice kit! works great!