You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Range finder question

I always assumed ( Wrongly so I guess) that a range finder shot a straight line to and from your target thereby giving you an accurate distance even if you were in a stand.

How much is it off by say if you were in a 16 or so foot tree stand and shooting 20 to 30 yards ? I'd sure hate to miss because I didn't know.
    Mathews Drenalin 65lbs, Muzzys, Vortex Binos, ,Bushnell Bow Hunter, Equalizer tree stand
    The only stupid question is the one you never asked !!.

Default Bob

At that distance. I would take a yard off or two. Heres a good rule of thumb
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Default Great Chart....

Hope you didn't have that copy righted.

Default Its just a reference

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    Hope you didn't have that copy righted.
    Field shooters often refer to this chart. Very inportant they make the right cuts when shooting an uphill or downhill shot. Reason some carry angle compensatoer with them as well.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

So now I need to know what degree/angle I'm shooting at ?
    Mathews Drenalin 65lbs, Muzzys, Vortex Binos, ,Bushnell Bow Hunter, Equalizer tree stand

Default Yes and Nikon got the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob4 View Post
    So now I need to know what degree/angle I'm shooting at ?
    Now if My old Nikon 440 goes bad which I doubt happens. Ill be contacting Chris and purchasing this baby. Might be time to sell the 440 and move to better. Really good item for bowhunters.

http://www.obsessionarchery.com/niko...er-p-1564.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

A good guide line, ďbut every setup is going to affect the end result accuracy of itĒ
    The poundage of oneís equipment, in relation to how heavy his or her arrows, in relationship with the draw length will affect oneís impact from anotherís.
    Poundage
    Arrow weight
    Draw length
    Speed
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Angles... Measurements are in feet & inches

30 feet up a tree... Now go see how much your arrow drops in the difference. And don't forget parallax on those shots under 10 yards...
    Last edited by JAVI; 01-03-2010 at 01:56 PM.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Default Posted like a true engineer

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    Angles... Measurements are in feet & inches

30 feet up a tree... Now go see how much your arrow drops in the difference. And don't forget parallax on those shots under 10 yards...
    Thanks Javi. If I had half your knowledge. I would be good to go.
    DB

The most important thing about treestand hunting is practicing from the same height I plan to hunt from. Practicing from every position I can imagine shooting from has made me much better at hitting the kill zone of a deer. I aim for a 1" dot, but my goal is "reality" based, not target score based. Twisting, turning and bending is normal when trying to shoot a deer. I have an angle compensating range finder not because the 2 or 3' differance in distance reading will cause me to miss the kill zone. I have it because I'm obsessed with gadgets. I only use mine to check distances after I'm in the tree and to note landmarks that represent various ranges. Knowing my rangefinder gives me actual horizontal distance makes me 'Feel" better."Feeling" better improves my confidence. Being more confident helps me kill more deer.

Thanks for the help.

I have taken 1 buck at 20 yards before I knew about all this crap. Shot went right where I intended. I have to laugh at myself with all this reading getting me over thinking.

I grabbed a friends Tree stand today. 12 footer.
    I'll shoot from it tomorrow. But I jumped in it quick today with the range finder.
    There was a 1 yd difference at 20 yds.. And 4 yds difference at 40 yds.
    This was compared by sighting on the ground then in the stand. So ,and correct me if I'm wrong, but at short distances of 20 to 30 yds the difference is minimal. Maybe place a pin on top of the kill zone at 30 yds if I get brave at that distance ?
    Longest I'd probably shoot is 30 -35. At 35 it has to be really worth it.
    Shooting approximately 70 lbs.

Thanks for the help.

I have taken 1 buck at 20 yards before I knew about all this crap. Shot went right where I intended. I have to laugh at myself with all this reading getting me over thinking.

I'll shoot from it tomorrow. But I jumped in it quick today with the range finder.
    This was compared by sighting on the ground then in the stand. So ,and correct me if I'm wrong, but at short distances of 20 to 30 yds the difference is minimal. Maybe place a pin on top of the kill zone at 30 yds if I get brave at that distance ?
    Simply use your rangefinder on level ground to verify range to a target; shoot it at 20 then step up the difference... and verify again. Then using the same pin and aiming point shoot again... that will tell you the difference in POI for your bow...

Depending on how well you shoot, you may or may not see any difference...
    Last edited by JAVI; 09-26-2008 at 06:08 PM.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    Depending on how well you shoot, you may or may not see any difference...
    Finally not shooting like William Tell helps !

Thanks Javi.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

( Maybe place a pin on top of the kill zone at 30 yds if I get brave at that distance ? )

Itís just the opposite donít hold high on your 30Ē hold lowĒ. You always take yardage off never add.

I always sight in from an elevated stand then thereís no second guessing. But thatís me.

If you think Java agrees with your understanding thatís fine Iím not Java and I would never aim high or add yardage on drop shots or uphillís.

Take Care

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

I could easily be wrong (it's been known to happen ) but it seems to me that horizontal distance is horizontal distance. Gravity affects the arrow flight over the horizontal distance traveled not vertical. The only part gravity plays in vertical distance is to help the arrow get to the ground faster.

I range trees around my stand to get the horizontal distance from the tree I'm in and shoot for those ranges if a deer walks past those pre-ranged trees. Now I might not be nock'n the flea off the hair, but it's a dead deer all the same.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    Bob

( Maybe place a pin on top of the kill zone at 30 yds if I get brave at that distance ? )

Itís just the opposite donít hold high on your 30Ē hold lowĒ. You always take yardage off never add.

I always sight in from an elevated stand then thereís no second guessing. But thatís me.

If you think Java agrees with your understanding thatís fine Iím not Java and I would never aim high or add yardage on drop shots or uphillís.

Take Care

Up or down hill the horizontal distance is always less than the line of sight. Except for the very rare instance, you would always cut yardage from the line of sight distance.

Granted for many hunters depending on shooting abilities, the difference is rarely noticeable at the extremely short ranges they normally shoot at game.

The larger issue (assuming good form) for most would be parallax on shots of less than ten yards from a tree stand.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Java

Whatís with the drawn out speech I understand cutting yardage I think my statement made that very clear.

I just stated that an over sight between how Bob was trying to understand your info. From his statements it stated that he thought at 30 yards he would have to raise and shoot a little high on the vitals in order to get the arrow impact that was desired.
    That said if he is raising his pin and the arrow then hits higher then his point of aim, he just ended up with a high hit on an animal or shot over the top.

When in turn if he would take a yard off as you explained then he may actually hit where he wanted to.
    But you guys were getting all warm and comefee, because he was pumped about all your knowledge and you overlooked his misunderstanding of your good efforts, this would then cause a possible wounded deer or a complete miss on a buck of a lifetime.
    I just was hoping to set this right so others also reading this would not make this mistake and then wonder whatís up

Also when shooting at a target thatís closer then 8 yards or 3 yards from the tree and being in elevated stand say 20 feet up does not have the same effect on arrow impact vs point of aim, as you would have being on the ground and shooting at the 3 or 8 yard target many mess this up because when being elevated you will have the addition 20í that falls in play with your line of sight versus being only 8 or 3yards away when being on the ground.

When on the flat you know as well as I that we have to use yardages in the 60 -80 range to hit a fly or dot at 4 yards and that this changes rapidly as your work your way back to say 8 yards then from there everything seems easy to understand for most, This pertains to target archery and being prepared for the extreme close shots on say a turkey or something.

But when folks get elevated up 15 to 20 feet and think now they have to use a 80 yard pin for expl. On a deer at 4 or 5 yards away from the stand or tree they will shoot high.
    This is because the distance of the 15 to 20 feet was not taken into consideration with the 4 or 5 yards

Keep things simple but lets not have some misunderstand the good efforts and not catch it

We are all trying to help others for the better of the sport

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    Java

Whatís with the drawn out speech I understand cutting yardage I think my statement made that very clear.

I just stated that an over sight between how Bob was trying to understand your info. From his statements it stated that he thought at 30 yards he would have to raise and shoot a little high on the vitals in order to get the arrow impact that was desired.
    That said if he is raising his pin and the arrow then hits higher then his point of aim, he just ended up with a high hit on an animal or shot over the top.

When in turn if he would take a yard off as you explained then he may actually hit where he wanted to.
    But you guys were getting all warm and comefee, because he was pumped about all your knowledge and you overlooked his misunderstanding of your good efforts, this would then cause a possible wounded deer or a complete miss on a buck of a lifetime.
    I just was hoping to set this right so others also reading this would not make this mistake and then wonder whatís up

Also when shooting at a target thatís closer then 8 yards or 3 yards from the tree and being in elevated stand say 20 feet up does not have the same effect on arrow impact vs point of aim, as you would have being on the ground and shooting at the 3 or 8 yard target many mess this up because when being elevated you will have the addition 20í that falls in play with your line of sight versus being only 8 or 3yards away when being on the ground.

When on the flat you know as well as I that we have to use yardages in the 60 -80 range to hit a fly or dot at 4 yards and that this changes rapidly as your work your way back to say 8 yards then from there everything seems easy to understand for most, This pertains to target archery and being prepared for the extreme close shots on say a turkey or something.

But when folks get elevated up 15 to 20 feet and think now they have to use a 80 yard pin for expl. On a deer at 4 or 5 yards away from the stand or tree they will shoot high.
    This is because the distance of the 15 to 20 feet was not taken into consideration with the 4 or 5 yards

Keep things simple but lets not have some misunderstand the good efforts and not catch it

We are all trying to help others for the better of the sport
    I did see his answer and gave him a way to test the results...

Please forget I even commented.
    Last edited by JAVI; 09-26-2008 at 10:41 PM.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

I appreciate everyones input. I'll be trying a shot or 2 this moning fom the stand at 20 -25 and 30 to see my results. I'll let ya know how I make out.

Default Good deal Bob

I appreciate everyones input. I'll be trying a shot or 2 this moning fom the stand at 20 -25 and 30 to see my results. I'll let ya know how I make out.
    Practice is the key to good shooting. Be sure and bend at the waist.
    DB