You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My first deer!!!

Well as you know this weekend was opening bow season here in Texas... I have been hunting for three years and have had plenty of opportunity, but it just wasn't my time, but yesterday it was!!!

Saturday morning my dad and I went out and didn't see anything, so that afternoon we try another ground blind stand spot. We had an interesting evening to be quite honest.. First there was a lizard that peeked his head through the window and then there was the snake I saw the snake peek his head in through the window and then his tongue started going...my dad had his head down and I said real quite...dad, there's a snake, there's a snake and he said, no it's just that lizard I said no it's NOT and he finally looked up and said yes that is a snake, so he took an extra arrow and hit it in the head and it fell down the outside of the blind...so needless to say I was on red alert the rest of the evening!

Well about 6:00 my dad said to me this is getting prime time, so you need to get settled and start listening and stop texting Kurt! Well I was so anxious and wanted to see something so bad, that I bowed my head and said a short little prayer asking for God to present me something and what do you know... about 6:20 walks out two beautiful does... As soon as I saw them I moved a little in my seat and the one in the front (the youngest one) heard me... she was standing facing us and looked straight at us for I guarantee 3 minutes... the whole time I had my bow up ready to draw and my dad was sitting there whispering to me, don't move don't move, she will duck her head and go back to eating... well she finally did and she turned broadsided and I told my dad I said that is a perfect shot, so I drew my bow back and settled down my pin and wham!!! she jump up and took off as fast as lighting! I watched exactly where she ran and sat back in my chair and didn't say a word because I was so stund at what just happened!

About 15 minutes later my dad gets out and goes to look around the area that I hit her to see if he could find my arrow or any blood, well he couldn't so we decided to head back to the truck and wait for Kurt and my brother to get finished hunting so they could help us track her.

So we get back to the kill spot at around 7... we start looking around and I look in some brush that was behind the deer when I shot her and there is my arrow!!! CLEAN PASS THROUGH!!! This is a good sign, we are going to find her I said!!! So my brother then finds blood a few yards away, and then there is more, she winds through this cut trail we have and there is more blood...then she comes to a y in the trail... so we try and figure out which way she went left or right... Kurt finds blood to the left...then more blood... I was staying behind at each blood spot so we wouldn't lose the trail until they found another one... Then all of a sudden I hear my dad say hey baby, come put your hands on your deer!!!! WE FOUND HER!!! She ran about 75 yards from where I shot her!! So I go up and look at her and they all say to me, you do see where you shot her don't you??? I said yeah, right in the heart! Perfect shot!!! So Kurt decides he is going to be the one that drags her out of the woods for me and he does until about the last 20 yards and I drag her myself! She was a heavy bitch, but I didn't care she was my prize and I had so much adrenaline built up I could have drug a 200 pound dear out!

When we got her to the truck and really got the lights on her, I noticed how pretty she was... it felt so nostalgic, happy and sad at the same time.. I had just shot my first deer and was so thankful but also a little sad to see how beautiful this creature was.

This was a great experience, something that I will never forget and don't want to forget...I can tell you one thing though... There is no feeling in the world like the one that I had yesterday evening and I just hope that God gives me the opportunity to re-live it again!

Here are some pics...I also have video of me dragging her out, I just have to figure out how to transfer it from the video camera to the computer!

My first deer!!! - Bowhunting forum

Of course our family tradition...first deer, you get blood on your face!
    Last edited by mathewsgirl13; 09-28-2008 at 09:30 PM.
    Staff Shooter: On Target Archery--Vortex Optics--Sure-Loc--T.R.U. Ball--Gold Tip-- Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers

Default Im jealous

What a great thrill harvesting your first deer. Now not only are you getting to be quite the archer now your shooting those deer in the heart.

Really nice shot. Love the pictures. You go girl.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

way to go your first deer will always be special, and, waht a special moment to share with your family
    GO TEAM 12

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    What a great thrill harvesting your first deer. Now not only are you getting to be quite the archer now your shooting those deer in the heart.

Really nice shot. Love the pictures. You go girl.
    DB
    thanks DB!! What a thrill it was!!! Almost as nerve racking as that shoot down!
    Staff Shooter: On Target Archery--Vortex Optics--Sure-Loc--T.R.U. Ball--Gold Tip-- Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers

congrats, I havent seen anybody with deer blood smeared on their face in a long time.....

we used to cut off your shirt tail too, but hunting clothes are way too expensive for that now.....

Default Good shot

That is awsome! That is a great shot for a first deer.

Kevin

THATS AWSOME.......

glad you got your first!!!

now go get you a BIG ONE......(BUCK THAT IS)
    I cut things up and split them down!

congrats....................................
    Target: Elite Energy, Copper John A.N.T.S., TT SS II, Posten 28" Victory X-Ringer HV 312gr.

Woods: Mathews Switchback, Trophy Ridge 5 pin, QAD Rest, Maxima Arrows

GO TEAM 3!!

Awesome Tiff!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

That is AWESOME........CONGRATS.

Good eatin right there.

"HONDA"

Great job, great story, congrats!!! It only gets easier from here!
    Hoyt Vtec +
    Rage Broadheads
    =
    A lot of blood.

Congratulations on the first of many..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Tiff, that's an awesome story. Congrats on your first deer you will remember that day and the people you shared it with forever.

Nice shot too!

Richard
    Archery Outpost
    Tulsa, OK
    Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite & Mission Bows

great story... and congrats on a great deer and now you are truly "baptized"

now go get another one... with horns so you can have bragging rights over hubby... hee hee

Default JUst made my day girl

You do Texas proud. Your becoming quite the archer and hunter.

Nice to see the ladys in the field. Time to go get that buck now?

Give us your set up you used to take this doe. Picture with details.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Congrats!!

rick
    No catchy signature here.....

Default Way to go Tiff

Very proud of you!!! I'll see that Susan see's this. Tell your Dad, husband, and brother Doug and Susan says hey and best of luck to you for the rest of the season. We are going to my dad's lease in west Texas this coming weekend. Could be fun.
    Staff shooter for Outdoor Specialities, Victory Arrows, Bohning, Bucknasty Bowstrings, TRU Ball, & Gripwerks Custom Bow Grips

ASA Lifetime member

Awesome!!!!

Congratulations on your first and best wishes for many more good memories
    That was an awesome story of the hunt!!!
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Default Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Thats quick!! Thats a super shot, too! Just one of many I'll bet.
    Goldtip Arrows,T.R.U. Ball Releases
    ,Bohning vanes