You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Archery Targets and Hunting --- Did you ever wish you had a little luck???

Just curious how many folks have gotten started in archery be it competitive or hunting on their own
    No parents to encourage or support their interest in this
    No friends that are able to help for improvement close to home
    Just canít get it figured out why it looks so easy for some to hit the target all the time, but you keep trying with no luck.
    Been deer hunting, but no luck havenít shot a deer yet and you wish you could just get lucky once and have a chance, but no luck

If this is your luck letís hear your story
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

pragmatic_lee

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    Just curious how many folks have gotten started in archery be it competitive or hunting on their own
    No parents to encourage or support their interest in this
    No friends that are able to help for improvement close to home
    Just canít get it figured out why it looks so easy for some to hit the target all the time, but you keep trying with no luck.
    Been deer hunting, but no luck havenít shot a deer yet and you wish you could just get lucky once and have a chance, but no luck

If this is your luck letís hear your story
    FWIW: I'm 56 years old and had never shot a bow before Jan. of this year. For some unknown reason, I got the "urge" to "give it a spin". I was 100% self-taught and in reality, I had a very BAD teacher. Being lucky, blessed, or whatever you'd call it, I soon found myself in the mist of a bunch of good/veteran shooters. If I have any complaint at all, it would be that these folks were very reluctant to offer criticism. Sometimes I simply wished that they'd slapped me behind the head and told me I was wrong in this or that, but being the nice folks that they are, they didn't want to hurt my feelings.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to simply start over. For me that meant not only a different release, but a new bow as well - not that there was anything wrong with the bow I was shooting, it was more of an attempt to shoot a bow that my fellow archers were familiar with.

So to answer you question - NO, I'm not looking for or hoping for "luck" - that's what I depended on when I was "self-taught". Now I'm "expecting" skill in "total" shot execution to hit the X.

And at the risk of calling out the ethics police, I REFUSE to take my hunting bow in the woods till I am confident I can make a "skilled" - not lucky shot. Do I have somewhere to hunt - YES - own my own land that has "never" been deer hunted and there's no doubt that there's plenty of deer that call it "home". Do I have the proper equipment - YES - without getting into bow/arrow brands, I have no doubt I have equipment capable of a deer harvest.

Will I depend on luck - NO WAY - it's one thing to make a bad shot on a paper target and take a little trash talk from my buddies - it's an entirely different thing to make a bad shot on a living creature (no matter how good it might taste).

I like your story

The luck I was referring to is the guidance towards being a better archer and the luck of having someone give you a few tips in the right direction as far as hunting and then being lucky enough to see a few deer and add a little icing on the cake by getting one.
    I believe there are quite a few that deal with a little of this.

pragmatic_lee

I like your story

The luck I was referring to is the guidance towards being a better archer and the luck of having someone give you a few tips in the right direction as far as hunting and then being lucky enough to see a few deer and add a little icing on the cake by getting one.
    I believe there are quite a few that deal with a little of this.
    My best advise would be to seek out and befriend some really good archers. Granted there are some who can wait till the day before archery season opens to get their bow out and within minutes are shooting good. For me it means shooting practically every day - I just don't have the natural born talent that "some" seem to blessed with.

And no matter how much I read when it comes to form and shot execution, somethings I just have to be shown. Example: recently a shooting buddy kept telling me to keep my "wrist down". Now, just what the "hay" does that mean? After a couple more shots and his "ongoing encouragement" to keep my wrist down, I finally asked him to "show me". That in itself has been the best piece of advise anyone has ever given me. Was it luck that he happened to notice my bad wrist placement and suggest a correction? I'm way too old to believe in "luck" - if there is any such thing, I believe we "make our own".

My bit of luck came from learning how to use a computer.

I would still be punching a out of tune mathews with a trigger release if it wasn't for about 3 or 4 archery sites that I ve visited for the last two or three years.
    I learned there was a whole world more to archery than shooting at a foam target once a month. I ve sence met a lot of nice people that are more than willing to help.
    I'll never be a world class archer but I do enjoy the challenge.

Your problems could be you need to just work on your form post some picture and we can pick you a part I mean just see if we can see anyting wrong and start there Do you have a pro shop around alot of these guy would help you out

ELITE PURE
    THE NEED FOR SPEED

I have done very well in both hunting and in competition in my time and I was hoping that someday others will have the same opportunity.

I just wanted to start a thread that would involve others that hope someday things would all come together for them to have a big smile on their face and be able to experience the excitement be it a great looking target or a nice deer.

Take Care

pragmatic_lee

I have done very well in both hunting and in competition in my time and I was hoping that someday others will have the same opportunity.

I just wanted to start a thread that would involve others that hope someday things would all come together for them to have a big smile on their face and be able to experience the excitement be it a great looking target or a nice deer.

Take Care
    I understand and appreciate the point you're making. My only contention is, like I said before, we make our own luck. And I know what you mean about the "big smile". Back in July I ventured to Cumberland MD for the Hillbilly shoot - one of the most challenging Field courses in the US. Those that were sitting outside the club house had no doubt that I had "done good" on the second day when I come walking out of the woods. One commented that I was "grinning like a possum eating briars". While my score was no where near the top, it was a new personal best for me - and trust me, I cherish the moment some 2.5 months later.

I've had both good luck and bad during my archery life..

The good was 48 years ago next month when while buying cedar blanks to make new arrows, I met an old fellow who would teach me the correct way to shoot and introduced me to field archery. The bad was when my dad found out what I was doing with my time on Saturdays and took my bow away from me for two years... Who knows, had I been able to continue with my lessons where I might have gone. My goal was the Olympics...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

I have to say my good luck was finding these web sites. I started at 15 with a recurve as many of you have. Then to a compound. Only a couple of friends through the years ever even gave it a try. I did manage to get a few deer over the years but looking back on it now it was probably more luck than anything. Right place, right time. Once I found the computer, there was things going with archery that I never knew about. You guys taught me more about shooting than all those years of just me trying.
    FBSA Member