You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: comparing bows

Question comparing bows

how does the pse stinger package compare with a mathews switchback xt? is the pse any good? would it be a good starter bow that i will be happy with for a couple of years or until i can get my hands on a used switchback?

As a new archer I would suggest you go to a good local archery Pro shop, have them fit you for draw length. I think you will find they will have seeveral almost new used bows in stock that you can try.

Find one that seems to best fit your need ( price / function )and seem to just fit your hand.

Better to buy from a local place that also fits and they may also have free instruction and or free use of indoor or outdoor range for the year as part of the purchase price of the new / used bow. Most times you also will get the bow setup as part of the purchase, as well as any items you buy that you want on a bow will be installed on the bow.

good luck and tell us how you make out.

Bill

Bill

Default Lots of good low priced lines.

Quote Originally Posted by gamoboy View Post
    how does the pse stinger package compare with a mathews switchback xt? is the pse any good? would it be a good starter bow that i will be happy with for a couple of years or until i can get my hands on a used switchback?
    I would consider PSE and the new Bear line of bows. Martin makes a good entry level bows. Just be pen minded and find what feels good to you.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by sweet old bill View Post
    As a new archer I would suggest you go to a good local archery Pro shop, have them fit you for draw length. I think you will find they will have seeveral almost new used bows in stock that you can try.

Find one that seems to best fit your need ( price / function )and seem to just fit your hand.

Better to buy from a local place that also fits and they may also have free instruction and or free use of indoor or outdoor range for the year as part of the purchase price of the new / used bow. Most times you also will get the bow setup as part of the purchase, as well as any items you buy that you want on a bow will be installed on the bow.

good luck and tell us how you make out.

Bill

Bill
    the problem with the archery shops around here are very small and usually the workers are stuck up and usually dont cater to you. i can buy a new pse stinger for 400 and have my uncle set it up for me and everything. alot of the time the pro shops dont have that big of a selection and most only carry 2 or 3 different brands. i have pulled the matin cheetah and it was comfortable a little harsh on the break over but over all comfortable but most people tell me to stay away from martins

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    I would consider PSE and the new Bear line of bows. Martin makes a good entry level bows. Just be pen minded and find what feels good to you.
    DB
    i like the pse line feels comfortable for a low end bow but havent been able to shoot it yet

Quote Originally Posted by gamoboy View Post
    ok, i have pretty much all day to practice. i do not work because my wife has a well paying job so i stay home to watch my daughter. i plan to shoot atleast 300 arrows a day and have a 2 acres of land. i plan to put my tripod up in the yard so i can practice treestand shot too.
    so even if its not as comfortable as a high end bow can i still get used to it with all the practice?

most people tell me to stay away from martins
    Then you need to find some new people...........

Quote Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
    Then you need to find some new people...........
    so is the martin cheetah any good? how bout the jaguar?

so is the martin cheetah any good
    Yep,i just picked one up and for the price its a fantastic shooter.ibo 320fps,one of the quietest bows ive owned,the fast's bow ive owned and dead in the hand.Very good quality too.My proshop set it up,and when i got home i spent 20min fine tuning it.So far its so good,happy camper.

P.S. I got the bow at Pats Archery,Okmulgee,OK....very good people.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks for the help. i think buying a bow is 100 times worse than trying to buy a gun.

The Hoyt Superhawk and the Bowtech Tomkat are two of my top picks that I've seen advertized for around 400 dollars. Also, Mathews makes a second line of bows called Mission Archery, and they make a bow model that is basicly a Switchback without the roller guard for a lot less money. Don't worry, if you're like me you will learn what you like and don't like and bow shopping may become a real joy. Good luck.