You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: bad meat?

Default bad meat?

Has anyone ever butchered a deer that has had wounds on it? Here's why I ask. I have a friend who shot a buck this week but when he went to gut it, he found an arrow wound that was probably a week old. It went through the gut and hind quarters on the left side. He was worried that all the meat could be ruined because of the bacteria and what not that could have gotten in the blood.
    Any insight or comments on this either way??? I've never had this so I don't know the answer.

My bet would be, the stress the deer was under alone, would be enough for me to reconsider eating that one.

When in doubt, throw it out.

if its cooked at 350 degrees or higher, all the bacteria and microrganisms should be kilt off.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

I shot one last year that already had a bullet hole into both lungs (looked to be a few days old), but no exit hole so I'm guessing muzzleloader. True that it was in the ribs so there wasn't much meat wasted, but I ate the hams, shoulders, tenderloins and backstraps. To my knowledge, it never made me sick. I guess that it all depends on the situation. Gut shot deer might make me think twice about it too.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
    I shot one last year that already had a bullet hole into both lungs....
    sounds like a fighter.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

Default reply

Bad meat from microorganisms and from badness are two different things. Some meat is just hard to digest and will make me puke it up-i.e. undercooked or dogged deer(high stress levels). It doesn't bother other people, but that deer probably was rely stressed and unhealthy- I wouldn't want it. Is it ok to eat????? I would say unless the deer was showing signs of major infection, he was fighting off bacteria introduced by the other broadhead and the healthy looking meats should be ok. And propper cooking should kill anything else. Deer are strong. I've seen them fully recover from woundings - no problem. Your guy was probably making a comeback till your bud saw him

IF in doubt or the meat looks or smells funny dont eat it. If you so chose, to eat the meat make sure it is properly prepared and cooked. There is no sense in getting sick or making your family sick over a questionable call. I know that in my state you can kill as many does as you want providing you buy the extra tags.
    GO TEAM 12