You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Sure loc, Toxonics, Copper johns, etc.

for you guys using slider sights with extentions do you always shoot w/the extention all the way out?
    I cut things up and split them down!

I bought a used Toxonics Naildriver this year to try out and at first I didn't shoot with it all the way out. But, I decided to try it all the way out there and liked it better. Funny thing was, when I first got it I sighted it in and shot it with it exteneded about 2/3 the way out and had it zeroed in... When I decided to try it all the way out.. I moved it all the way out and it moved everything high and right... I put it back to 2/3, and it zeroed out. So, out of curiousity I moved it all the way in, everything was low and left..

Anyway, I resighted for the bar extended all the way out and I've been shooting it like that ever since. I think it's like shooting a gun, the longer the barrel (and distance between front and rear sight) the more accurate you're going to be with it. I think the same applies for shooting these type sights as well, the farther apart you can space your sights the better off you'll be.
    "It's closer than it looks, but farther than it appears." - Yeah, I said that.

It depends. Shooting Field Archery, my Sure-loc with a 6" extension is fully extended.

Shooting 3D, it is pulled back in a couple notches. My Indoor rig has a 9" extension but it is not fully extended.

I look at two things. With it extended, can you hold it steady and where does it need to be to match up perfectly with the peep sight hole and scope aperture size. This seems more important to me.

The farther out you move it, the more magnification you get and the more pin movement you see. Too much will induce target panic.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    The farther out you move it, the more magnification you get and the more pin movement you see. Too much will induce target panic.
    I don't shoot mine with a lens so my target panic comes from a totally different source. One of the scopes I bought to try out came with a 4X lens and I just couldn't get used to it, plus it needed a clarifier and I didn't have one at the time. I've got a guy bringing me a Super Peep tomorrow and I'm going to look into possibly trying the lens again if I can locate a shop around here that will allow me to try some different clarifiers in there to see which one I need.

Good info though, as I've heard that moving your magnified sight in or out will effect the magnification of the lens but I didn't want to say that because I didn't know for sure if it did or not.

Any idea why my groups moved the way they did when I slide the bar in and out? I was thinking it must be a leveling issue of some kind because I just slapped it on there and shot it but I wasn't for sure.

The groups move because of the torque applied to the bow at full draw. All bows have it, some more some less but they all do. This torque is caused by the cable guard or roller guard having increased pressure at full draw. There is a lot of weight on those cables at full draw. Some bows have 150# on the cables at full draw and some are over 300# at full draw.

This is why I mark my sight bar so I put it back in the same place every time. Moving it in or out will usually also change your elevation.

For example, the other day I went to shoot a field round. At 50 yards, I was 4-5" high and could not figure out why. I looked at the sight and I had it in closer than it should have been. I moved it back to the last notch and bang, right in the middle.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Great info, Chris. Thanks!

My sight has a mark on it as well, so that I'll remember where to put it every time. Well, it was already there when I got the sight..