You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you do . . .

Does every one gut their deer in the woods? Are there places where you must take all the deer out of the woods or bury it? You never see the TV shows ever with the guts removed. Just a thought.
    Mathews Switchback XT/ 70 lb/Easton ST Epic 340/Rage 3 blade/Sims Mini S coil/Trophy Ridge Outfitter 5 pin/Ripcord rest/TruBall release

"I'll see you around, 'round my home town"
    Charlie Robison

I have always gutted my deer in the field except for a few occasions. IT makes it a heck of alot easier to drag out. it most takes out about forty lbs of deadweight for the average whitetail.
    GO TEAM 12

I guess it would depend on whether the guy with truck is done hunting yet.

Or if it's realy cold, I will dress it where I find it. Nothin like warm inerds.

we take ours back to camp!
    Staff Shooter: On Target Archery--Vortex Optics--Sure-Loc--T.R.U. Ball--Gold Tip-- Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers

I dont like to dress deer where im hunting because i will most likely hunt there again. Ill take else where and do it.....cant wait to drop #2 for the season. All this talk about dressing deer has me hungry for some heart philly cheese steak sandwhiches.

Gut where it lays have shot many within 30 yds from where a pile was but they dont last long the yotes love them

Quote Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
    Gut where it lays have shot many within 30 yds from where a pile was but they dont last long the yotes love them
    Me too, by the next day there is nothing left thanks to the coyotes, ravens and magpies.

Yep me three............

Depends...........but I usually gut in the field.

"HONDA"

Back in the bush we do it on site. Close to the feilds we will take them up closer to the barns in a large grass feild. Just depends on the drag facter!

My buddy had this thing for hanging them up in the barn and doing it into a large garbage can..then just dumping the can. Way to much of a mess..I think after 3 he gave up on the idea.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

I always gut it pretty close to where it falls. This last year I did notice some strange behavior though. I shot a doe and she went down in a wheat field. I pulled her about 10 yards or so to the edge of the field up a slight knoll. (I like to have thier head a little up hill, make the job a little easier). I field dressed her right there and left the pile on the edge of the field. The spot was only about 30 yards from my stand.
    I hunted the next day from the same stand. I had a few does come by and when they got to the drag marks they spent quite a bit of time smelling the trail, every doe that followed the marks got very skiddish. Each one followed the scent trail to the gut pile. When they got to the pile it didn't bother them at all. They just turned around and followed the drag marks back to the spot where she went down. Their tails up and and very nervous, they finally stolled off. One week later the exact same scenario. I figured the scent trail would be long gone but that doe went back and forth several times. Again the spot where the gut pile had been didn't bother her one little bit. These deer could have cared less about the gut pile but the scent trail caused form dragging the doe sure puzzled them.

I clean mine up right away after cuting my tag, Only time ill move one is on privite land i hunt, ill drag them to the edge of the field so the pile is not out in his hay. Ill do it right by my stands, hasnt seemed to bother the deer that i have seen yet anyways. I like to get that stuff out asap, helps with cooling the animal down alot also.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

On site everytime, I'll only move it around enough for my convenience. Agreed on lightening the load.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Default Here as well

Pile will be gone quickly.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

bowhunter, Pure-n-Simple harleyryder's Avatar

Right where it drops....I don't hunt farmers fields so thats not a factor but if I did I would do the same , it would be gone come morning
    Hoyt Katera XL and Gold tip XT hunters arrows...Tipped with a thunderhead

same here. Just gut them where they fall. hasn't ever seemed to be a problem. To me it is important to get them cooled off asap.

I was shotgun hunting in Iowa with a friend of mine and he shot a buck that dropped within 10 yards of his stand. He gutted it right there. The next day he was in the same stand hunting a doe and another buck came up and licked the gut pile. He also killed a doe shortly after the buck left.

As many have mentioned, it really depends on where my animal has fallen. Most of the time however, I do not like to field dress deer in my hunting area. I'm more concerned with making the remaining deer more nervous by the extra predators that a fresh gut pile seems to attract. Large hungry groups of coyotes indeed make deer nervous and my hunting pressure is enough to worry about, IMHO.

Gut in the field...if it falls too close to my stand I will drag it a bit. Another good thing about our little deer. Easy to drag!

I heard that slippy doesn't dress his deer out at all. He just gets out of his stand and starts eating it
    Hook 'Em Horns

In the field might move to a slight incline but usually where I find it
    Mike Wieck Sales Shooting Staff
    TRU Ball Shooting Staff , LL Cote Shooting Staff
    Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
    Level 2 Instructor,Bowhunter Ed Instructor
    Vt,NH, & CT ASA State Rep

Most times I gut close to where the deer fell, but I sometimes make exceptions. Such as, how soon do I plan to hunt that location again. I shot a doe last night and didn't gut her for about a half mile from when she fell. I didn't want a lot of predator traffic in the area.