You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Wife and Daughter Want to Get Started

Aloha! My wife and daughter have taken an interest in archery. In trying to keep everything at a reasonable cost, I've been offered to buy a used Hoyt Kbow and a Heritage Buckeye.

I've found some info and prices on the Buckeye, but can't find anything on this Hoyt Kbow. Anyone heard of this recurve? Is it obsolete/discontinued? Any good for a starter bow?

I also scored a Martin Gazelle for a compound, but my 8 yr. old daughter can't handle the draw weight. I think it's set a 35 lbs. The other recurves are 26 lbs. and 20 lbs., respectively. I'm pretty sure my wife and daughter can handle the Heritage, but just want to know more about that Kbow. The seller has both of them and I figure might as well make it a package deal.

Oh, our daughter is now taking lessons through the C&C Parks and Recs program. She's caught on pretty quick.

Any help is much appreciated.

Welcome or should I say Aloha,
    The only thing I can find on the K-bow is it's a takedown recurve made in Korea...

Should be a great first bow in my opinion.

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

My wife and two daughters are also just getting started.

I shoot traditional longbow, but I am starting them on compounds set low #age and shorter distance, till they build up arm strength. It really doesn't matter what they start with as long as it is safe, and isn't cr@p and causes frustration.

BTW, popping balloons is great fun and good practice.

Thank y'all for that input and welcome. I'll probably go for it and make that "seller" an offer for both bows and whatever arrows they have. As for the compound, I'm going to fidget with the draw weight to see if I can get it down to 25 lbs. It's supposed to be the minimum for this particular bow.

From your input, I really can't go wrong with what I've been offered and already have. From what I've found so far, none are cheapy equipment and should work well for entry level archery.

Thanks a bunch.

Default In the beginning

I don't know of the bow you are speaking of but. I started my boys out with genisis pro. The one thing I can say is when the boys start complaining about the bow not being accurate. I'll grab it and show them the bow isn't the problem. keep working the form. Its one thing to talk about shooting but when they see it the talking is over. These genisis pro's are good starter bows and wish I had something like this when I was young. I was recurve and later jennings lightning for my first compound. The genisis pro can be shot by little people and big. I have a 30" draw on fingers. One boy shot fingers and the other had release. I had to teach both the basics. Now these same bows are teaching my brothers young boys. Also started my sisters son into archery with these bows. All these kids know is these are uncle rob's bows to help teach them how to shoot. I told them once they learn the basics and get accurate we'll get them their own bow. My sisters son took about a year to get accurate and focused. Young and impatient. He just knows my bow is fast and accurate and lots of practice.

Thanks guys. Here's what I decided to settle on. I just made "friends" at our one and only archery store and I'll be taking in that Gazelle to have a rest and sights installed properly and have that draw weight adjusted. I'm also going to pick up the PSE Buckeye recurve from a seller. This one has a 20# draw weight and my daughter doesn't seem to have any problems with that. These also come with interchangeable limbs so she can "grow" into it. Most of the highschool archery clubs are using these now. The down side is they told us PSE is going to discontinue the interchangeable system so I gotta get off my butt and start ordering those extra limbs.

We did check out our local archery range. It ain't pretty, but the daughter was excited as all get out to get started. Felt bad we hadn't brought the equipment with us, thinking we were only going to see what kind of set up they had. She did end up making friends with one of the old timers, though. Talked his ear off. Will be taking her out this coming week, though.