You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Shakey Knees!!!

Default Shakey Knees!!!

So I used to go rifle hunting with my dad when I was younger. Stopped for a couple of years, and then this year bought a bow and starting shooting. I live about 10 mins from public hunting land and me and my neighbor go out for an afternoon hunt. I was sitting in the treestand for about hour and half and all of a sudden a fawn comes running up towards me and stops about 10yards in front of me. So I reach for my bow( I set my bow on the left hand side of me which was a pain to reach for--dummy) just in case some other deer follow. And of course they do. Two more big does come running up and stood about 10 yrds from me. I can not believe how bad i was shaking.....my knees where rattling together. Didnt get a shoot off, by the time I wrestled my bow into place they took off again. But it was great to see them. Hopefully next time the shakey knees will not be so bad where I can shoot. Anybody got any tips for shakey knees?

Ahhh...Haaaaa you got to feel the rush Breath really deep and picture yourself somewhere besides in the tree. Don't try to get rid of the feeling too much,,,that's what it's all about

Default Not me

I still get shakey knees and I have been hunting for a long time.

I need something for blood pressure when those bucks show up.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I have to keep reminding my self to relax and just let every thing unfold. That is the greatest feeling isn't it. I love that rush.

The day I stop getting excited when I see deer is the day I take time off from hunting. I have found that after the first few deer encounters of the season, I calm down a bit. I also have to force myself to look at the deer's body instead of the horns, when It's a buck of course. I also calmed down some more after my first bow kill. Try not to beat yourself up too much if you miss the shot, either. I had three complete misses before I took my first bowhunting deer. I missed an 8 point, a 6 point and a doe, all in the first two weeks. Have fun, and good luck!

OH I definately still get them! Especially the first one of the season. I had one in front of me last year I had no intention of shooting, just watching because it was small. My knees were a nockin', my back tightened up to the point of muscle spasms. Rediculous! I have to remind myself I don't HAVE to shoot it. I'm much better off if they just come in and the shot happens fast. If I see them for a few minutes first I really struggle to keep my composure.
    LOVE IT!
    FBSA Member

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Blay View Post
    The day I stop getting excited when I see deer is the day I take time off from hunting. I have found that after the first few deer encounters of the season, I calm down a bit. I also have to force myself to look at the deer's body instead of the horns, when It's a buck of course. I also calmed down some more after my first bow kill. Try not to beat yourself up too much if you miss the shot, either. Have fun, and good luck!
    I agree!

I have to keep telling myself "It's just a 3D target that moves, relax, breath and squeeze"
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

it's the best part of bowhunting if we didn't get the one heart stopping second alot of us prolly wouldn't bowhunt anymore!!!!!

Combat breathing ...Inhale and count to 4 at the same time in your head. Now hold your breath for a count of 4. Then exhale on a count of 4. Then hold for a count of 4 again.Then repeat so on and so on.You will be suprised how fast this can slow your heart rate and put you back incontrol. The Island Im hunting in the morning is the same stand I had the worse case of shakey legs in recorded history. It was a legit 150 class buck with a 120 class buck. At 30 yards looking directly at me for 5 minutes without blinking. They came through 3 feet of water and never made a sound! This was 11 years ago! If you aint getting excited you aint alive anyway! The more time you spend around deer the more control you will find in your inner predater as well.
    Last edited by jdawg240; 10-02-2008 at 08:24 PM.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

You just gotta love it!!!

But a side note when something dandy comes in and you know you want this one like real bad and all of a sudden you start to fall apart think about steaks frying in a pan or friends anything that could help com you down and then focus on your point of aim and squeeze.

Good Luck!!
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Some guys have trouble with the Shakes and some don't. Experience actually killing animals helps calm the nerves, but some take a long time to learn to control it.

Personally I get excited after the Fact!

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

I get a real hard heart beat. So Hard that I can hear it. Thump Thump...Thump Thump...Thump Thump...Thump Thump.... Then after the shot weather I connect or not I get shakey hands. I love it!

Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

Sophia's dad

That is the greatest feeling in the world!

I too am better off when they just step out & I don't have time to think about it. But the last few years I have been hunting a farm, and it seems like I have more time before the shot. I am able to calm down, & talk myself through the scenario. It seems to help alot to really try and focus on the things you practice in the off season.

I got my first bow kill a couple weeks ago, & I was shaking like crazy because it was a new experience. AWESOME !! I hope it never stops being so thrilling.

Team 6

I still get it,I hope I never lose it...When I first see a deer I shake pretty good,It calms me when I see they are going about their buisness and I wait for a open shot...Yesterday the wind was kicking pretty good,I did not think I would see anything at all...Bout that time , the squirrels started barking , then I heard a foot step, my heart was rushing and knees were clapping...I looked down and seen a decent 8 pointer...I said to myself,well if you wanna shoot him he has to move about 10 more feet to be in a open shooting lane,well he did and as I drew my bow,a different deer took off running,I only seen the one I was about to pop...I had to let the bow back down because my day was over...I got busted on the draw from a deer i never seen,thats the only bad part about hunting thickets,I still love doing it though...
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

Duck tape them together!

Quote Originally Posted by kskinner7 View Post
    Duck tape them together!
    why do such a thing it's the greatest feeling in the world!!!!!

Thumbs up

That is why we do what we do!
    Some of my friends don't believe me, but from when i see the deer to when i get that shot off, i don't move, shake, rattle, or roll. In fact, when i come to full draw i am steady as a rock. a few seconds after the "mystical flight of the arrow" is when i get the jitters in the legs. It happens after every deer i shoot, buck, doe, it doesn't matter. The day i don't shake is the day I sell my bow. Good luck with the rest of your year, PA Sarts Tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrow On the same cruise line...

I get shaky and nervous as anyone

Last year I totally forgot to aim at a buck, just pulled back and let it fly. If it wasn't 7 yards from my tree, I wouldn't have been so embarrased
    2008 Elite XXL 29 3/4" 70lbs- G1 Camo
    2008.5 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 60lbs- Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 65lbs- Metallic Red
    2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja

I get the shakes every time I see a deer in the woods, even if it is out of range. I hope that feeling never stops.
    Hoyt Protec, Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter, Copper John Dead Nuts Pro, Scott Rhino, Beman ICS Hunter, Muzzy 4 Blade

Like Gene Wensel once told me. I hunt to wrap my hands around an Antler and drag his butt out of the woods!!

I have to Agree!! I don't hunt cause I want to get the shakes. I used to get them when I first started back in the late 60's and I wouldn't be upset if I never got them again. It hinders doing what I'm out there for!

My enjoyment comes from outsmarting the Game I am after, and that includes that animals death. I'm out there to kill not sight see.

I do enjoy the Outdoors and everything about it, but when I hunt I put my Game face on. I'm a Predator then, not a spectator

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com