You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Hello and Have a Few Questions

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and wanted to say hey and throw out a couple of questions.

I am getting back into bowhunting/archery after about 15 years away and am trying to find the best equipment I can. I grew up shooting a PSE Polaris (I think...which I still have...somewhere), but am in the market for a new set-up.

I am about 5-10, 180 lbs, with a measured draw length of 28". If memory serves, when I last shot the it was 60-70 lb. draw. I've searched the local classifieds and there are quite a few used packages available for sale.

I've read a bunch of posts here and understand the recommendations to shoot as many bows as you can to find the best fit, but the opportunity is kinda limited so I wanted any input I could.

Right now there are several PSE Nova's for sale, a PSE Lightning Flight, a Jennings Carbon, a Matthews (not sure which model yet), a Parker Feather Grade 2...all for around the same price range of $200-$350. Most are a couple of years old and set up with accessories (case, quiver, sights, release, arrows), but I've been out of the sport for so long, I'm not sure which ones I really need.

So my question is: What's the best quality bow for the money? PSE vs. Jennings vs. Parker vs. Matthews...it's giving me a headache

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

TC
    Last edited by Goose3201; 10-06-2008 at 09:59 AM.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Trying to select something off the used market when you don't have the experience with particular models is pretty tough. You can't just say oh it's a PSE so I'll like that one because I liked one of their other models. You also can't say oh it's an Elite so every one of their models is better than anything else out there. (yeah I chose that brand on purpose ) There really is no short cut to getting your hands dirty and figuring out what works best for you. We could all give you our preferences and tell you what we would buy but that really is worthless to you; any of the newer bows from the standard manufactures is going to be perfectly fine, that doesn't mean YOU will like it. Unless I had a good feel for a specific model of bow out on the used market or I could shoot it before buying there is no way I'd go there.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Default Few Questions

What are you wanting this bow for?

Hunting or Tournament bow?
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I am primarily going to be using it for hunting.

My Question of: "What's the best quality bow for the money? PSE vs. Jennings vs. Parker vs. Matthews..." is more about the individual manufacturers. I understand Cougar's comments, but I guess what I'm asking is by brand, is there one company who has a better reputation than another...i.e. Stay away from Parker...they suck...or don't buy a bow older than x years because of advances in technology...

I know that individual preference makes up a huge portion of bow choice, but do y'all have input from your personal experience with any of the various brands?

Thanks again,

TC

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Last year I took 1 deer with a 2002 bow and had to finish filling the freezer during gun season; now if I had my new 2008 bow I'm using this year I would have taken 1 deer with a bow and finished filling my freezer during gun season. All the main brands are good bows and you don't need the latest one for your application, having said that if you're going to buy one I'd probably stay within the last couple of years. I'll probably shoot what I have now for a good while unless I get a wild hair for a target set up.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Default No one brand is better

I have shot Bear, PSE, Mathews, Martin, Hoyt and currently looking at Elite and Bowtech. They all shoot good.

Classifiads are a good place to shop.

DB

Heres a good bow in the classifiads. Good shooter. How much are you wanting to spend?

http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17530
    Last edited by Daniel Boone; 10-06-2008 at 09:26 PM.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I'll make ya a deal on a Parker Pheonix 34 that you can't refuse with a 28" and 29" draw module....
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

Quote Originally Posted by bullfiddle View Post
    I'll make ya a deal on a Parker Pheonix 34 that you can't refuse with a 28" and 29" draw module....

Shoot me an email...thanks!