You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: What I saw.

Default What I saw.

Saw 85+ deer yesterday. Only 5-10 of them were mature doe that I would have shot. All the others, were big as my rotty. Only 3 that I know of were buck. And that is what i'm after. Why would only 3/85 be buck?
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

because you dont shoot the does.........

Sounds like pretty bad deer management for the area you are in. Small deer can be attributed to lack of quality food or competition for food. I am unsure where you are located, but the bucks here in Michigan really don't start roaming during daylight hours for a couple more weeks.
    Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
    Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing

Default Shoot the does

We shoot a bunch ever year and its still not enough
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Slice View Post
    Sounds like pretty bad deer management for the area you are in. Small deer can be attributed to lack of quality food or competition for food. I am unsure where you are located, but the bucks here in Michigan really don't start roaming during daylight hours for a couple more weeks.
    Well, last year we quit shooting doe due to not seeing deer. 2 years prior to that, you would see 100+ just in the morning. Then last year, you were lucky to even see 10. This year there are a load of little ones, so that mean they populated big time. So the small doe will be bigger next year and get bred this year and even more next year. It could have just been I was in the wrong spot to see the buck? I also sat in the stand from 5:30am to 7pm with about a hour from 12-1 when I went to grab something to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by compoundxx75 View Post
    Well, last year we quit shooting doe due to not seeing deer. 2 years prior to that, you would see 100+ just in the morning. Then last year, you were lucky to even see 10. This year there are a load of little ones, so that mean they populated big time. So the small doe will be bigger next year and get bred this year and even more next year. It could have just been I was in the wrong spot to see the buck? I also sat in the stand from 5:30am to 7pm with about a hour from 12-1 when I went to grab something to eat.
    On dad's name and didn't realize it**
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    We shoot a bunch ever year and its still not enough
    DB
    I'll help...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Werd View Post
    Saw 85+ deer yesterday. Only 5-10 of them were mature doe that I would have shot.
    where you live? canada?

if you got that many, you better start killing them.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

Shoot them does...............they taste much better to me anyways.

"HONDA"

I dont know but that is a lot of deer in one day!
    Hoyt Kobalt 57#
    26 Draw Length
    Sword Twilight Hunter
    Cobra DiamondBack
    Maxima 250`s

you need to shoot/eat about 75 doe's ...your buck to doe is way,way, out of whack...

Educate me.
    What would be a good Buck to Doe ratio in a well manged setting?
    Mathews Drenalin 65lbs, Muzzys, Vortex Binos, ,Bushnell Bow Hunter, Equalizer tree stand
    The only stupid question is the one you never asked !!.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob4 View Post
    Educate me.
    What would be a good Buck to Doe ratio in a well manged setting?
    Ideal would be 2 doe to 1 buck, but that ain't gonna happen unless everyone around you shoot nothing but does for the next umpteen years (or you have high fenced property). I would be happy with a 4 - 6 to 1 ratio. You will see plenty of deer and still have an ample supply of does to harvest each year.

It will take a lot of sacrifice to acheive even these levels. The more 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks you pass the better the ratio will get.
    Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
    Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing

We used to see 100 deer a night and not 1 buck. Not anymore. Now we see 35 to 40 deer and 10 are bucks. Were getting there. You need to shoot does..does not matter the age. Just start flinging arrows. It will take a few years with that many doe's in one area.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Here they instituted a 3 point or better on at least one side rule and there is a much greater buck survival but most are yearlings. There are also more branch antlered bucks, 3 and 4 points to a side at 2 1/2 years old and a very few older yet. These are mostly mule deer, in the open country too many bucks were killed in their first year by people just driving around and shooting the first buck they saw from their vehicles. There should be more older bucks in the herd but it is at least better than it was and the young deer are passing the older deers genes along. The does are taken by permit and there haven't been any issued to the rifle hunters the last two cycles of rule making in my area do to low overall numbers. Bowhunters can take does the second half of the early season and during the shorter late season.

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
    We used to see 100 deer a night and not 1 buck. Not anymore. Now we see 35 to 40 deer and 10 are bucks. Were getting there. You need to shoot does..does not matter the age. Just start flinging arrows. It will take a few years with that many doe's in one area.
    That's what I'm saying. Dad won't let me though. Were trying to bring the population back a little bit from the last 2 years when they got completly slaughtered. You still need to kill atleast 10 doe a year.
    I play snake

Team 6

I have been seeing more Bucks than does,most of them are young though...I would guess and say we have 2 really nice 3-4 year olds running and the rest are 2 and younger...The 10 point I have been seeing is 2-2.5 years old,I am hoping he makes it through gun season...Next year he would be a easy kill for me,I have him pegged now...

We are starting to see the affects of logging...It has made more bedding areas for Deer..I think we are seeing more Deer this season than any other season...All the new growth is more food for them...Me and a friend were thinking it would go the other way because they lost alot of oak trees and other mast producers...We are in the second and third seasons of new growth...
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30