You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Arrow Recommendation

I currently use the Gold Tip Carbon Expedition Hunter arrows. Its specs are: Weight Tol. ± 2 grains. Straightness ± 0.006".

I'm new to this sport and started out with (6) arrows. I'm now down to 4, having unexpectedly shot a Robin Hood (nice, but $$$). I'm in need of new arrows, but am not sure what to get. I know I want carbon arrows, but at my level of experience (~ 2 weeks), I don't want to spend anymore than I have to until I develop better skills.

What carbon arrow would you recommend? In addition, would you recommend arrows that are made to better spec? If so, what specs would you recommend as a basis for arrow selection?
    "A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"
    2007/2008 Commander: 60lb/28" DL, HHA OL5519, Code Red, Choc Addiction, .400 Axis, Self-made Shoot-Thru
    2010 Elite GT500: 60lb/HHA DS5500, QAD UltraRest HD Pro Series, Victory VForce HV 400
    1965 Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve 50lb, 52", Original Bear Quiver & Cedar Arrows

This is one of those questions like Ford or Chevy...You are gonna get 100 different choices for 100 different reasons. The GT's are a good arrow and if you are satisfied with their performance then stay with them. I shoot Carbon Express because I liked the specs on the CX series, now I shot Maxima's for hunting and Linejammers for 3d...I shoot alot so I replace my arrows every year.

The more expensive the arrow the tighter the tolerances and the less GPI is the rule there are some exceptions.

What are your needs? Hunting, Target, 3D, Speed, Penetration, Durabilty...

Just get yourself some Carbon Force X-Weaves. And all will be well.

"HONDA"

CX Maximas are a GREAT all around arrow.......

GT Pro Hunters are a good arrow also, but kinda spendy......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Team 6

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    CX Maximas are a GREAT all around arrow.......

GT Pro Hunters are a good arrow also, but kinda spendy......
    Yeah,I love mine...1gr per doz and .001 straight...Thats pretty good outta the box...I think buying a new arrow can be testing at times,I would try to find my FOC on the higher end hunting arrows,Gold Tip has it on their site and it really helps...
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

Quote Originally Posted by Bulls Eye View Post
    I currently use the Gold Tip Carbon Expedition Hunter arrows. Its specs are: Weight Tol. ± 2 grains. Straightness ± 0.006".

I'm new to this sport and started out with (6) arrows. I'm now down to 4, having unexpectedly shot a Robin Hood (nice, but $$$). I'm in need of new arrows, but am not sure what to get. I know I want carbon arrows, but at my level of experience (~ 2 weeks), I don't want to spend anymore than I have to until I develop better skills.

What carbon arrow would you recommend? In addition, would you recommend arrows that are made to better spec? If so, what specs would you recommend as a basis for arrow selection?
    If your bow is tuned well and you like the arrows you have then get ahalf dozen more of "the same". They aren't the latest and greatest, but they will serve you well till you have need of getting higher quality arrows. By then who knows who will be making what.

If you think you need arrows with better specs then almost any properly spined arrow with straightness tolerance of .003" and 2 grains tolerance per batch should work just fine. Possibly GoldTip XT 3555. It's the same shaft you now shoot, but better tolerances.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

The GT expedition arrows are a fine arrow for you to be shooting, you should not have to spend 100+ dollars per dozen at this stage of the game for you.
    07 Hoyt 38Ultra 62# 27.5"
    06 Hoyt UltraElite 50# 27.5

I've enjoyed really good shooting with Carbon Express Maxima's. I use them for 3D and hunting. Dropped my deer Thursday, without any trouble.

BWiz

I use Carbon Express Terminator Lt. Selects. They're about 1 gpi heavier than Maxima's, have same straightness and consistancy standards and only cost 60 to 75.00 per doz., depending on how you shop. The last doz. arrows I assembled with all componets straight out of the box without weight checking them first. 11 weighed 400 grains and 1 came in at 402. Most of today's modern carbon shafts are much more accurate and consistant than I am. Also, using blunt, bullet style tips greatly reduced my nicked vanes and robinhoods. My wallet sometimes rates ahead of my ego. Have fun, I am.

Do you have a price range in mind? and what type of shooting are you going to be envolved in? If you are looking for a cheap but good arrow look at the Vapor line of arrows they are made by Gold tip and they are like $60 for .018 and 7.4 gpi.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member