You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: what to do

Default what to do

Last Sunday I saw two men exiting the woods. I stopped and asked if they had any luck they said yes and lifted a buck's head from the bed of the truck. They told me a story about shooting the buck Saturday and not finding it until Sunday. They told me that on Sunday they had to shoot it again and the second shot did the job. When I looked at the dear it had only one hole in it and no tag. Not wanting to make trouble I left and went home. What would you do if you were in my shoes.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Was the first shot not a pass through? Even if it was a different buck - they didn't find the first one, OK - it happens, I don't see the issue there. I don't know what state you are in, is the problem not having a temporary transportation tag? If so, then yes he should have filled one out and attached it to the deer, is that enough of an issue I would have been all upset about it - if they went and checked in or phoned it in or whatever you're supposed to do in your state I wouldn't have lost any sleep over it.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

I should have been more specific. I live in Pa. It is illegal to hunt on Sunday,It is illegal to dress or move your deer without tagging it first. It is Ok to look for a deer on Sunday but not to shoot it again. Wounding dose happen and I have no problem with that, not every shot is perfect. The question is what would you have done if you watched two hunters displaying NO licenses on them harvesting a deer with no tag on the deer on a day that is closed to hunting?
    I did nothing and I am second guessing myself. I am not a drama queen and do not like to make waves but I also feel bad for the people that do fallow the rules . Remember it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bundle. I also forgot to mention that this buck had 7 points on one side and 3 on the other. The side that had three looked like a moose rack more than a white tail. It would be very hard to mistake this deer with another. I have never seen another like it.
    Last edited by Ohansolo; 10-08-2008 at 11:46 AM.

don't see a problem.move on.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

You did leave out some info the first time! I think a Sunday hunting restriction is stupid, however it does sound like this goes beyond not having affixed a temporary tag. I would have been tempted to remember a plate number and call that one in. At this point there isn't much you can do, forget about it and press on. Do you have to display your license on you in PA?
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

DB,
    I agree about hunting Sundays. In Pa it is not a temp tag. The tag goes on the deer when you find it and dose not come off until the deer is butchered or sent to be stuffed. In Pa you must display a license. I am a bend the rules kind of guy, not a totally disregard the rules guy. I am a new hunter and just wanted to hear what others would have done. Thanks for your time DB.