You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Getting ready for the shot

Whats every one do after they first see there game and prepare for the shot?

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Look for the best shooting lane, (hah,maybe I even cut one in a good place) think about where my best spot/chance to draw is, watch the animal to see if is alert, oblivious etc.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Default If he a good shooter

I first and for most try to settle down my breathing.

I first range the deer for distance.

Score the rack as fast as possible.

When I pull back I try to hit ever anchor point and look at the level on the bow.

Pick a double lunger shot placement.

Stopping the heavy breathing the hardest thing for me. Shooting parts easy.

Good post. Will be interesting to hear everyone opionions.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker243 View Post
    Whats every one do after they first see there game and prepare for the shot?
    Try to stay quiet..........
    Bob L.
    Hoyt Trykon - Trykon XL- Bear Take Down recurve
    REDHDCHARM D-loop rope

Before I see a target I have ranged a few trees and hopefully have an idea of where it needs to be before I draw on it.

1st thing I think about when he/she does show up is standing up and not being seen. (I'm in a stand)
    Mathews Drenalin 65lbs, Muzzys, Vortex Binos, ,Bushnell Bow Hunter, Equalizer tree stand
    The only stupid question is the one you never asked !!.

RShunter's son

get my bow off of bow holder or out of my lap see where the deer id going draw back, hold, pick a spot and squeeze

if you're hunting lower than 25 feet make sure the deer's head is either lowered to the ground, behind a tree trunk or looking away from you. if you try to draw with their head up you'll get busted by their peripheral vision more than likely. other than that it's a good idea to aim slightly low. it's hard to maintain good form and bend at the waist in all the excitement, so more than likely your peep is gonna be slightly higher, and it also takes into account the drop of the deer at the sound of the shot if there is any.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob4 View Post
    Before I see a target I have ranged a few trees and hopefully have an idea of where it needs to be before I draw on it.

Yep

1st thing I think about when he/she does show up is standing up and not being seen. (I'm in a stand)

I usually don't stand up.

I look for some cover that will be between me and the deer for deciding when to draw as well.
    FBSA emertus

Quickly decide if it's a shooter or not.

Get bow ready and attach release.

Identify what trail he is taking and what shooting lane(s) I'll have to shoot through.

Estimate distances where he may present shot opportunities. I now have a rangefinder but haven't gotten in the habit of using it yet.

Identify a place where the deer will be where his vision will be blocked (like a large tree or brush) allowing me to draw the bow.

Draw, get anchored, check level, settle the correct pin on the spot, squeeze.

Stay quiet, watch and listen.
    Crackerized '09 Rytera Alien-X, Easton ACC 3-49's, Sword Twilight Hunter, NAP Hellrazer 100gr
    Martin/Rytera Archery Pro Staff;Sword Acu-Site Shooting Staff
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff; Paradigm Archery Staff; Vapor Trail Pro Staff

Grab my bow then settle down breathing look for openings and where i think im going to get shots!
    Hoyt Kobalt 57#
    26 Draw Length
    Sword Twilight Hunter
    Cobra DiamondBack
    Maxima 250`s

Sophia's dad

Settle down is the big part. Exciting stuff

I have range markers on certain trees, so thats 1 less thing to worry about

watch, wait, BE QUIET!!

Tell myself to slow down. Slowly get my bow if it's not in hand. Slowly stand up, if I'm not already. Then I let things unfold as they will, trying to do my part not to mess things up. When, not if, I do mess up, learn what I can and apply it to my next encounter. Keep it simple.

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

I usually take the bow out of the holder or get it upright out of my lap. After that, instinct and practice takes over. Honestly, I usually don't ever remember drawing the bow or the shot itself. I do remember getting a good sight picture and picking a single hair to shoot at.

I know I must go through a routine when a deer I plan to shoot shows up, I just cant tell you what it is, because I don't think about it, it just happens. I guess the biggest thing I have to think about is slowing my breathing down and telling myself to relax.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    I usually don't stand up
    Never thought about that not standing. Seems like that might limit your left or right shooting depending which way/hand you shoot. I'm r/Handed so shooting left wouldn't be a problem but to the right I'm limited in how far I can turn.
    Mathews Drenalin 65lbs, Muzzys, Vortex Binos, ,Bushnell Bow Hunter, Equalizer tree stand
    The only stupid question is the one you never asked !!.

Team 6

I start counting 1 mississippi 2 etc,,that helps calm me down...My adrenaline and breathing need to slow to normal as fast as possible...I look for the best time to draw,deer looking away,head down,"walking away do I need to stop the deer with a grunt"...I usually have my yardage figured out by the time all this happens,now it is time to get into Sniper mode and go for the air bags...im usually calm before 10 miss...Most of my hunts are evening hunts,I usually have my bow ready in my hand,as a hunter you should never be caught off gaurd, thats what my dad says...

Controlling your breathing to me is the key to making a good shot,whether it be in a target or on a animal..Never hold your breath,it send's a panic message to your brain,"i need air",that happens even if you think its not happening...
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

Yeah, for we righties a right side shot does require standing. I try to position my stand so I have a straight to left side shot. Once in a while they will come in from a different than normal spot though, then I'll have to try and stand and get in a position to make the shot but I really avoid having to make all the additional movement. Try practicing shooting sitting in your stand, I think you'll find you can be just as accurate.
    FBSA emertus

Try to calm myself down, if I have seen the deer from a ways and watch it come I can get really excited. Mostly I spot and stalk so I get into position and wait for the deer to stand up. Hopefully I have been there long enough to settle down, telling myself I may still not get an arrow off. I run through the shot sequence in my head, get ranges and pick the spot visually in my brain. When the deer stands I hope the practice I've put in over the year preparing pays off, at this point instinct takes over, I draw put the pin where I want adjusting for angles and shoot all in a matter of seconds usually.