You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default techniques for pre-rut

What is your favorite technique to use dooring the pre-rut?
    I have a tree stand along a rub line and I am going to try using a call.

There isn't much you can do. Just try to use pre-rut attractants. Just something to try to strike their attention.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

hunt food sources in the late evening is what I do......

Quote Originally Posted by Werd View Post
    There isn't much you can do. Just try to use pre-rut attractants. Just something to try to strike their attention.
    Not much to do in the PRE-rut?

The Pre-rut is the BEST time to be out there...bucks respond very well to calls....rattling sequences, grunts/bleats, snort wheezes, etc. They are not yet to the point where they are deaf, dumb, and blinded by the does....

Hunt the wind, call aggressively, avoid any attractant scents, (remain scent free, go 100 percent undetected still)
    - put the time in the woods....
    WARP SPEED

Default Pre Rut

Have grunt call in hand. Hunt where the does are. My favorite time to hunt.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Be patient, keep your eyes open and don't do anything to alert any deer to your presense.

I like to have my call ready so when I see a buck off in the distance I give a few soft grunts to get his attention and wait for him to come in. You should also watch to see if the buck is using a different trail to scent check the scrapes. They don't always go directly to them. Other then that pray for a little luck.
    Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
    Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing

Hunt elevated, down wind of doe bedding areas. Try all the usual tricks, but not all at once, or on the same day. When hunting pressured deer, too much of anything, will drive them away. As long as I enjoy the hunting, the outcome will be favorable, weather I take game or not.

When you say "Pre Rut" I asume we are talking about the few days leading up to the full on breading cycle "rut".If so, its the BEST time to hunt . Just before the does go into heat. Grab a grunt tube and sit as long as your rear end can take it. My mature buck sightings actully go down once the breeding starts. Its those few magical days just before that are the best. Were only 3 weeks away from the start of the best time to be in the woods.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER