You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Quartering shots/Ethics

I'm a bit inexperienced so thought Id ask.

Hypethitical ! 20 to 30 yard shot.
    Ideal shot being: deer standing 90 degrees perpendicular to you. How far does he have to turn towards you before you decide that "this shot won't kill"? or are you going to try and go through a shoulder ? I don't imagine it's very much before that shoulder gets in the way or your arrow is well away from a vital hit.

My thought is if it doesn't look like I will get a vital , near the heart or lungs, I'll wait it out.
    Thought about this tonight as I was walking around shooting "No corn" My 3D target.
    Mathews Drenalin 65lbs, Muzzys, Vortex Binos, ,Bushnell Bow Hunter, Equalizer tree stand
    The only stupid question is the one you never asked !!.

I look for were will the arrow exit. any shot that will take out the lungs is a good shot . thats my goal.
    HOYT KATERA
    PRO ELITE
    ULTRA ELITE

Quote Originally Posted by PA.JAY View Post
    I look for were will the arrow exit. any shot that will take out the lungs is a good shot . thats my goal.
    I just shot my first **** last week I after I found him I thought I shot a little to far toward the back end right side of the deer but the arrow exited right behind the left shoulder. After seeing the damage I could not of asked for a better shot.
    I would want to shoot right behind the shoulder and make a pass through shot.

The higher you hunt the less chance's that you will be able the get a shot to pass thru both lungs.
    Last edited by Breck; 10-09-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Team 6

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    The higher you hunt the less chance's that you will be able the get a shot to pass thru both lungs.

Im not so sure about that....You can take out both lungs and the heart from being higher if you hit the deer in the spine exiting the lower chest...I like shooting from a higher vantage point,I see better for one,I usually get a great blood trail from lower chest exits...Not to mention if you hit the spine,they just drop in their tracks...

To answer your question,if I were high enough to get a spine shot into the lungs,thats what I would do...I would not wait for the deer to quarter in,why wait for his eyes to pick you off?...I think we practice so much at broad side shots,that becomes our comfort shot..When you start practicing spine shots,you will have another comfort shot...The lungs are in the same place whether the deer is standing broad or looking away...
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

If I have to I will try and put it through the shoulder to avoid hitting guts. but on my broadside shots I either go for double lung or if it's under 25 yards a heart shot. quartering away I usaully try to put it into the lungs then the opposite shoulder for and exit!!!!