You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bow Recommendations...

Hey guys im new to the forum and im in the market for a new bow. Right now i have a Darton Trailboss and i just outgrew it. I had it since i was 13 and i am now 19 so im in need of something different. It will only be used for whitetailed deer. What do you guys shoot and what would you recommend? Thanks
    Last edited by Raxxor; 10-10-2008 at 12:16 AM.

BOWTECH!!!!!!! stay with an older bowtech if you wanna save money and the quality is alot better check out the classifieds and you can find a real nice used bow for reasonable price. But if I was you I would stay away from the dartons!!!

Well im looking for something new. But thanks.

If you want something new go for the bowtech 82nd airborne one of my favorites it will run you about 800 for the bare bow and prolly a couple hundred more for sights etc..... buying a new bow is quite the pricey deal these days prepare to spend well over 700-800 dollars

BOWTECH!!!!!!! stay with an older bowtech if you wanna save money and the quality is alot better check out the classifieds
    HOW IS THAT BOWTECH SHOOTING THAT YOU RIPPED ME OFF ON ?? THIS PUNK TRADED BOWS WITH ME. SENT ME A BROKEN BOW & STRIPPED SOME ACCESSORIES OFF !
    DO NOT TRADE OR ANYTHING WITH HIM. I'LL JUST CHALK IT UP TO HIS PARENTS DIDN'T TEACH HIM BETTER.

http://www.3dshoots.com/forums//showthread.php?t=19766
    HOYT KATERA
    PRO ELITE
    ULTRA ELITE

Default Bow

I prefer Mathews my self, but there is a lot of good bows out there. Most importantly I would find a bow that feels good to you. I would try and find something around a 33" axle to axle length so the bow is a little more forgiving yet small enough to maneuver around in a stand or ground blind.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Try as many as you can and find what feels best to you. The name on the bow is of little consequence.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Best bet is to shoot as many as you can, see what feels the best to you!
    Mathews Staff Shooter Northern Dutchess Archery & Sportsman Supply - www.ndarchery.com

TruBall & Axcel & Dead Center Archery Shooter Staff

shill's suck

#1 I would advise you to get a bow that is your draw length.

#2 get a bow with a draw weight that you are comfortable with.

After that, it's personal preference.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've had a Newberry Sb1, couple PSE's, Hoyts and now I have a Bowtech 101st airborne and I agree with alot of guys, just get what fits you and feels good. But, if you want a quiet, way to fast bow, get a 101st!!

Quote Originally Posted by PA.JAY View Post
    HOW IS THAT BOWTECH SHOOTING THAT YOU RIPPED ME OFF ON ?? THIS PUNK TRADED BOWS WITH ME. SENT ME A BROKEN BOW & STRIPPED SOME ACCESSORIES OFF !
    DO NOT TRADE OR ANYTHING WITH HIM. I'LL JUST CHALK IT UP TO HIS PARENTS DIDN'T TEACH HIM BETTER.

http://www.3dshoots.com/forums//showthread.php?t=19766
    Excuse me I said to the admintrator send it back if you wanted I would not sell a broken bow to somebody due to the risk of injury and or death!!!!!
    Why are you still complaining though call martin and they will replace them for free I have already talked to them and they said take it to a local martin dealer then the dealer will call them and the limbs will be sent out that day.
    The only charge will be the shipping whicj is what 5 dollars!!!!

Alright thanks guys i havent gotten around to shoot any new bows yet but hopefully soon. Another question is Carbon arrows. Are these worth the money? How about sights whats good?
    Last edited by Raxxor; 10-10-2008 at 11:59 AM.

If you want a SUPER bright sight get an extreme. Carbons are great for hunting but for target use and fun, I'd go with aluminums!

Adam of Archery Outfitter fstgstdsmpay's Avatar

As far as bows go just shoot a bunch and try as many as you can. I perfer hoyt for me hoyt bows just fit.

Sights - Has to be Sword or Spot Hogg, both are top quality, durable, bright, and the best out there in a pin sight.

Arrows - For sure go with carbon, there more durable then aluminum, cause they cant bend, there faster. For Hunting, 3D, any kind of shooting there great. I shoot for victory archery which make top notch carbons.

You will get all kinds of answers here the best thing to do is decide which one feels better to you. As for arrows I switched a few years ago to carbon and really like them but be sure to flex test them before shooting each shot.

"HONDA"

I shoot a Hoyt Vectrix, Carbon Express Terminator Lt. arrows, and I use a very tough and bright Cobra Sidewinder Radiant sight. I'm not rich. I've spent a lot of hard earned money trying different stuff. I wound up with these average priced, top quality products. I consider these purchases money well spent. One suggestion I actually listened to was to find a bow that was among the top on my wish list picks, and buy it for 2/3 the price after they come out with the new models. That's why I own a Vectrix instead of a Katera, I shoot a discontinued model Cobra sight, and I shoot Terminators instead of Maxima's. Top quality. Average price. This can be done with almost any quality brand. I focus on value, not brand. Who knows, next time I may buy a Bowtech General, if they become affordable.

Since I haven't heard from either of you, I thought the trade between PAJay and gizim_1132 had been taken care of.

The right thing to do is swap back or
    gizim_1132 gets a set of limbs sent to paJay and/or
    gizim_1132 compensates PAJay for the limbs and missing items.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Raxxor View Post
    Hey guys im new to the forum and im in the market for a new bow. Right now i have a Darton Trailboss and i just outgrew it. I had it since i was 13 and i am now 19 so im in need of something different. It will only be used for whitetailed deer. What do you guys shoot and what would you recommend? Thanks
    As far as a bow goes. Are you more into speed/hard hitting, or smooth and quiet. What's your draw length? If you don't know measure your wingspan from tip to tip and we'll figure it out. What's your budget? Do you want inexpensive, middle of the road, or high end? What kind of draw weight would you like to pull? 50-60 lbs, 60-70 lbs, or over 70 (not recommended)?

If I were you I would shop for a bow already knowing what your daw length is. If you have short arms alot of bows will be not fit you.
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

Default Bows

I also have been doing a lot of shopping lately and I have been reading a lot of reviews at different archery sites. It would seem that most manufacturers are making a pretty descent bow these days. Some have a little vibration or don't seem as smooth, but ANY bow you buy today will be better than the older bow you were shooting. I would definately get something with a parallel or near parallel limb, but aside from that, it's really a matter of personal preference.

Darton makes good bows. So do many of the smaller manufacturers such as Martin, Parker, and Diamond, etc. I just shot a Bear Element at Gander Mountain and put one on layaway. They had it on sale (as a package) for $299 and I couldn't resist. It shot as well as my older Parker Phoenix, which cost me nearly $600 for just the bow!

Anyway, my point is that all of the manufacturers make good bows and you should do what you can to at least hold them and draw them back before buying anything. If you can actually shoot a few... EVEN BETTER! At least one of them will call your name. Then, regardless of price, do what you can to get it. A bow should fit well with the shooter.

Good luck in your search.

Todd