You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Tournement question for Dean

... And anyone else who has conquered this problem.

In practice, I shoot pretty good. I'm not yet at national level, but I have taken one state indoor championship. (don't be impressed or anything, it was the same weekend a Louisville & all the really good shooters went there)

Most of the time when I'm in competition, I get nervous, tense and shakey. I know that my preparation and practice has been good. I know that my equipment is tuned and ready. It's just that when I get to the line, I'm shakey until I shoot a couple of bad arrows. Then I settle down and shoot nearly as good as practice.

Since this is indoor, a couple of bad arrows knock me out of the running.

Indoor season here starts a week from Sunday, and I've been shooting scores in practice that are much better than my scores from the last few years. I'd like to see some results in tournements.

Is this something that goes away after I've blown enough tournements? Is there some way to settle down sooner so that I have a chance of placing?

Thanks,
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post

In practice, I shoot pretty good. I'm not yet at national level, but I have taken one state indoor championship. (don't be impressed or anything, it was the same weekend a Louisville & all the really good shooters went there)

Most of the time when I'm in competition, I get nervous, tense and shakey. I know that my preparation and practice has been good. I know that my equipment is tuned and ready. It's just that when I get to the line, I'm shakey until I shoot a couple of bad arrows. Then I settle down and shoot nearly as good as practice.

Indoor season here starts a week from Sunday, and I've been shooting scores in practice that are much better than my scores from the last few years. I'd like to see some results in tournements.

Is this something that goes away after I've blown enough tournements? Is there some way to settle down sooner so that I have a chance of placing?

Thanks,
    Allen
    I read once if you want to simulate pressure in practice walk up to the range attendent and slap down a $20 and say, "this is yours if my next end isn't 5X's."

Do that repeatedly until you're broke or you no longer feel the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by bbaumer View Post
    I read once if you want to simulate pressure in practice walk up to the range attendent and slap down a $20 and say, "this is yours if my next end isn't 5X's."

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Thanks,
    Allen
    I just don't have time right now to answer but I will tomorrow night on this thread......look for it.

Thanks Dean, I'm looking forward to it.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by bbaumer View Post

Thats not pressure..................that is donating to the shop.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Thats not pressure..................that is donating to the shop.
    It'd be both for me. $20 is still a chunk of change in my budget, so pressure it would be - AND since I'm not very good to begin with it would also be a donation.

Default Tournament Jitters

Thanks,
    Allen
    From my experience all of us are nervous at certain times on the line.The younger crowd has less of it and as we get older more of it. There is no one way to correct the problem but exposure on the line with your competition sure helps.
    A lot of it has to do with desire to excel, to much desire hurts you.Will it go away you ask, sure...at times you will be so full of confidence and shooting good that you won't even think of it. I try to do things and think of things to relax me. Sometimes I strike up a conversation with a fellow competitor on the bench and other times maybe a little deep breathing on the line but most of all I try to think of things that take my mind off of negative thinking.Best thing I can tell you is be patient....work on it and build your confidence up by getting a lot of exposure with your competition.I don't think there is an archer out there that hasn't blown a shoot or two due to this very condition.
    Dean