You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default I get caught everytime...

everytime i go bowhunting the deer smell me, it might not be right away, but eventually they will, i havnt watched a deer for more then 15 minutes yet this season..what is everything you do to make you and your clothes scentless?..thanks

get some cover scent? haha

or just dont keep your hunting clothes inside, keep them outside where the fresh air can get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by david13 View Post
    everytime i go bowhunting the deer smell me, it might not be right away, but eventually they will, i havnt watched a deer for more then 15 minutes yet this season..what is everything you do to make you and your clothes scentless?..thanks
    15 MINUTES. What are you waiting for?????????????
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

go higher & stay still any head movement will bust you .
    are you using the same stand ? try being on the down side of the trail not on the up side makes you eye level or without much eye movement to see you.
    fill the washer up put 1/2 box of baking soda in it wash the cloths & hang them outside. put them on when you get their from a plastic bag. do you wear foot scent things I got busted because I left them on my boots up in the stand.
    deer arn't smart just very cautious out smart them . you will figure it out . trust me !!
    Last edited by PA.JAY; 10-12-2008 at 03:50 PM.
    HOYT KATERA
    PRO ELITE
    ULTRA ELITE

Do not wear your hunting clothes on the way to go hunting. Wash them in scent free soap and put them in a tub or bag to keep scent off them.

When you get to where you are going to hunt, change into your hunting clothes. Also use a scent killer spray. Spray your boots, hat, etc. Some even spray their bow.

Pay attention to the wind direction and try to guess which way the deer will come from. If they are going to come in down wind, you need to move your stand.

A scent killing/hiding garment might help as well. ie scent block/scentlok
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Put your stand higher if you can. We hunt around 20ft or higher if possible and try to leave some cover behind you to break up your outline. I also use scent wafers in fresh dirt and white oak. I've deer approach from down wind and not scent me even though I wasn't very high.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Do not wear your hunting clothes on the way to go hunting. Wash them in scent free soap and put them in a tub or bag to keep scent off them.

When you get to where you are going to hunt, change into your hunting clothes. Also use a scent killer spray. Spray your boots, hat, etc. Some even spray their bow.

Pay attention to the wind direction and try to guess which way the deer will come from. If they are going to come in down wind, you need to move your stand.

A scent killing/hiding garment might help as well. ie scent block/scentlok
    dittos
    and wash yorself as well
    use some type of scent killwe on your body after that as well
    shew clorets as the have clorifill in them to kill scent.
    eat some zinc as it will kill your body order
    if you stinck take zinc

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Move your stand!
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

I use scent eliminating spray and play the wind. Slippy knows all about playing the wind. sorry I had to

"HONDA"

Add carbon or other scent controle clothing to all the other suggestions. Rubber boots. Also I'll repeat what's been said; move your stand. The deer have already patterned you. Please let us know what you do and how it works. I'll learn from you, too.

Site Guru

use scent free soap, shampoo and breath spray / mouth wash.

I use dead down wind on all my clothes after washing them in scent free detergent, then store them in a scent free bag and tub which also have fresh earth scent wafers in them. I then use fresh earth cover scent a LOT, I go through at least 1/2 a 4 oz spray bottle every time I'm out, I spray myself and all my gear at least every 2 hours and spray the ground by the bottom of my tree stand.

The cover scents work! and they work very well! plus they cost less then 5.00 for a bottle that will last the whole season, compare that to the base layers at 60.00+ / piece and you STILL need the cover scent anyway... its a no brainer for me.
    No I'm not dead

Shave all your body hair and shower with scent free soap. (then turn in your man card for shaving all your body hair)
    Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
    Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing

I wash up with scent free soap
    My clothes are all washed with scent free laundry soap
    My bow and arrows and small accessories release, grunt tubes, etc have all been completely wiped down with Peroxide.
    My boots have been treated inside and out -- the worst human scent dispenser yet - old hunting boots have you ever smelt your boots insoles yuk!!
    Clothes are stored in containers
    And then I smoke up with the white smoldering smoke of oak leaves
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!