You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Rattling whos doing it

Biggest deer on my lease was harvested by a hunter standing on the ground using the Lohman rattling box in the picture here.

I have rattled little bucks but never a mature buck. You guys have any luck rattling?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I have rattled in a bunch of bucks with a rattle bag, but it is always young ones. Another guy on my lease has pretty good luck rattling in mature bucks though Guess he just does it better....he uses real antlers though.
    Hook 'Em Horns

I sit and wait. No grunt call, not rattlers, no attractants, just patiences.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

I do it. Not now of course, but when the time is right. End of this month...

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

I've rattled in a few small bucks in the past, but nothing this year. I've only done it a couple of times this year though. This time of year I'm not rattling aggressively, just light sparing. Hoping to arouse curiosity.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

I've rattled in a bunch of bucks...mostly little guys...the shooters don't often commit to bow range though without seeing action...I need to find some bigger horns....The set I rattle with now are barely 100 inches...I'd like to have a 140 set. I believe real antlers are better than anything fake, although I have a rattle bag that has worked for me a long time back...

In a week or so I will start light rattling and grunting...and at the end of the month, start on the bleat can and heavier rattling...
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

I've rattled in a bunch of bucks. Most of them are young and stupid but ocassionally you'll get an amorous mature buck come in close for a look. My largest buck was taken after he came to the antler rattling.

With all the sparring I've seen and heard so far this Fall I have tried rattling a few times. I've had several bucks (3-4) in the 100-110" catagory come to the rattling. I also hear a deer (assuming it's a buck) sneak down wind of me to check out the scene with his nose first. I've never seen any of the deer that I hear down wind of me.
    I won't be rattling again until the beginning of the 4th week of October.
    Crackerized '09 Rytera Alien-X, Easton ACC 3-49's, Sword Twilight Hunter, NAP Hellrazer 100gr
    Martin/Rytera Archery Pro Staff;Sword Acu-Site Shooting Staff
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff; Paradigm Archery Staff; Vapor Trail Pro Staff

I rattle in about 10 to 15 little ones to 1 decent buck. It just one of those things you have to use a lot to get the opportunity.
    Goldtip Arrows,T.R.U. Ball Releases
    ,Bohning vanes

Team 6

Quote Originally Posted by RxBowhunterKS View Post
    I've rattled in a bunch of bucks. Most of them are young and stupid but ocassionally you'll get an amorous mature buck come in close for a look. My largest buck was taken after he came to the antler rattling.

With all the sparring I've seen and heard so far this Fall I have tried rattling a few times. I've had several bucks (3-4) in the 100-110" catagory come to the rattling. I also hear a deer (assuming it's a buck) sneak down wind of me to check out the scene with his nose first. I've never seen any of the deer that I hear down wind of me.
    I won't be rattling again until the beginning of the 4th week of October.
    You might want to try some buck urine for those that come in down wind of you,it can help with Bucks that are hanging up like that...Those big boys know how to use their nose and stay alive by using it...You need to trick 2 of 3 senses,eyes, ears and nose...It takes 2 of those senses to spook them as well,sometimes just the nose is enough...My biggest bow kill was in the first week of Nov. using real horns and buck urine,he grossed 156...I learned that from a article in Bow Hunter magazine...

I tickle them here n there this early in the season,I think a person will do much better in pre and full blown Rut...Rite now in my area all the bucks are still running together and pretty much know where each other is..I do have one solo buck running the corn that is still standing,I am planning his demise as we speak...I found more of his droppings today,this ole boy has some serious constipation going on LOL he is a bigger Deer for my neck of the woods...
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

never tryed it but i am going to try it on the lease during the rut
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Quote Originally Posted by MagnifiedFur View Post
    You might want to try some buck urine for those that come in down wind of you,it can help with Bucks that are hanging up like that...Those big boys know how to use their nose and stay alive by using it...You need to trick 2 of 3 senses,eyes, ears and nose...It takes 2 of those senses to spook them as well,sometimes just the nose is enough...My biggest bow kill was in the first week of Nov. using real horns and buck urine,he grossed 156...I learned that from a article in Bow Hunter magazine...

I tickle them here n there this early in the season,I think a person will do much better in pre and full blown Rut...Rite now in my area all the bucks are still running together and pretty much know where each other is..I do have one solo buck running the corn that is still standing,I am planning his demise as we speak...I found more of his droppings today,this ole boy has some serious constipation going on LOL he is a bigger Deer for my neck of the woods...
    I haven't had any luck trying buck urine. I can't get them to stand still long enough to pee in the bottle!

Actually I have used Roger Raglin's Maniac 150. It's pretty good stuff but not everybody carries it. I usually break out the Tink's 69 around October 21st or so and start some mock scrapes as well as hang scent drippers.

Funny story.
    Several years ago on our lease I rattled in three little bucks, two 6 ptrs and one forkie. They gathered around the base of my tree posturing for several minutes before wandering off. I'd let them get about 70-80 yards away and I'd tickle the antlers together and they would come right back and do the same thing. This continued for almost an hour! They'd leave and I'd rttle them back. I was hoping eventually that a bigger buck would join in the fun.
    Crackerized '09 Rytera Alien-X, Easton ACC 3-49's, Sword Twilight Hunter, NAP Hellrazer 100gr
    Martin/Rytera Archery Pro Staff;Sword Acu-Site Shooting Staff
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff; Paradigm Archery Staff; Vapor Trail Pro Staff

My luck has been limited, mostly smaller bucks coming in. However, I do believe rattling will work and I carry a rattle bag. In PA with a lot of does, rattling works best before the chase and actual breeding phase...more pre-rut. Ymmv!