You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Right handed but left eye dominate

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and new to archery I will have tons a questions but the first is, I am right handed but left eye dominate and was wanting to know what everyone thoughts were about this and would it be ok to shot right handed.

yes it's ok to shoot righthanded if you want, but if you're new to archery and dont have to relearn to shoot I would recommend shooting with your dominant eye.

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post

yes it's ok to shoot righthanded if you want, but if you're new to archery and dont have to relearn to shoot I would recommend shooting with your dominant eye.
    Ditto......

Left handed, right eyed... Shot left handed for many years... Right handed since I put a sight on my bow...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

My wife and one of my sons are the same way. They have a really hard time just closing the right eye. If something that basic is such a problem, I can't imagine them being able to concentrate on the other important aspects of anchoring and releasing an arrow.

I plan on trying them both out on left handed bows. The less you have to consciously think about and the more relaxed you are at anchor, the better.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Thanks everyone I will go out and try to shot some left handed bows to get the feel like I said I am new and want to learn the right way.

Site Guru

Get used to shooting left handed, I do everything right handed except shoot as I'm left eye dominant. Its actually not hard at all to get used to as you will be using your dominant (and stronger) arm to do the more stressful piece which is holding steady on the target.
    No I'm not dead

It is possible to to train your eye to function correctly. It does take some work, but it can be done. I have the same problem, but have been shooting with both eyes open for a couple of years now.
    Bob
    If I can't hunt in
    heaven, I don't wanna go
    Shoot straight, and aim
    for the 12 ring.

I am right handed but left eye dominant -- I have tried numerous times to shoot lefty. I just can't bring myself around to it to shoot comfortable, so I have just stayed a right-handed shooter. At the end of the day, you need to shoot the way that it is most comfortable for you.

Plus -- I didn't want to be labeled a freak like Dredly!

I have been shooting right handed for the past 5 years and just recently switched to left handed.... I have a thread about it in the General section. I personally wanted to switch to see if it would improve my scores. If I had a choice from the beginning and knew I was suppose to shoot with my dominant eye, then I would have started shooting left handed from the get-go.

But I do agree with some of the others.... shoot what is comfortable to you.

and
    FBSA Fire Fighter/EMT-I
    '08 LEFT HANDED Equalizer
    Best Indoor score so far 300 48x Left handed!!!!
    Best 3D score so far 316 12x (RH)
    Firechic Finger Slings - PM for info

try both to see which is the most comfortable. go with what feels the best. Or you could get an eye patch and become a pirate ARRRGH matey
    GO TEAM 12

I am also wanting to shoot with both eyes open and I heard that if you are shooting right handed and are left eye dominate when you try to shoot with both eyes your left will try and take over.

My son is one of those exceptions to the rules. He rights left handed. Pretty much even in both eyes. He shoots pistols and rifles either way accurately. He can shoot a bow left handed but prefers right. He bowls right but have seen him do it left also. He says he likes shooting right because it is more comfortable and there are more choices for equipment, bows and such to chose from. The thing is he is slightly stronger with his left arm than his right.