You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Question on Antler Growth

A buddy and I hunt in the same area and have both had our trail cams out for a few months now. We got a picture of what we thought was a very nice 8 pt. (Post pics when I get home.) Come to find out its a 6pt, one side is 4 and the other side is a fork. Curious to know if it was something that damaged it while in velvet or what? We've been debating whether to pass on it or not since neither have ever shot a Buck with a Bow. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Hof22 View Post
    A buddy and I hunt in the same area and have both had our trail cams out for a few months now. We got a picture of what we thought was a very nice 8 pt. (Post pics when I get home.) Come to find out its a 6pt, one side is 4 and the other side is a fork. Curious to know if it was something that damaged it while in velvet or what? We've been debating whether to pass on it or not since neither have ever shot a Buck with a Bow. Any thoughts?
    It would really depend on how old it is. If it is young, I would let it grow and see what happens. It could be an injury or just genetic.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Team 6

I shot one like that last year,it turned out to be a 9 if you count the 3 kickers on the right beam that also had the 2 point fork...They are all long enough,their about 1.5'' and a scoring ring will hang...The main reason I shot him was my buddy hit him low and to far to the front,he got a limp and a nasty cut across his chest from the arrow...I shot him 2 days later out of the same tree...

I would let him grow if there isnt alot of hunting pressure in your neck of the woods,if there is,Stick Him...He may not make it til next season...
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

we have 2 like that if they walk in front of me they are dead
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Default shoot it

I spot and stalk here in wyoming. I think any buck with a bow is a trophy in my book. I treestand hunt sometimes but to take one on the ground is some serious fun. Anyways your out hunting and not on the couch watch other people hunt on TV. Just appreciate what we have right now and wonder what is gonna happen after the election. I understand where the Palin side stands on the outdoors not sure on the obama side?

Picture 002.jpg Have to try and shrink the others.