You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Can Calls

Question Can Calls

Does any one hunt in WI for the whitetail? But the real question is if any one uses can calls and if you do how often do use them in one night hunt? Or even grunt calling how oftne do you use the call in one night?

Default I use a can call

Only to call the doe that might be with the buck.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Sophia's dad

I hunt in WI, will be there this weekend. I have used a can, but only to stop a deer. Use grunt more often. Give it a few toots every 10-15 min. & keep your eyes peeled. Grunted a small buck in last night. We had a little staring match before he walked away. Really fun to see them come in to a call.

I use a MAD Growl call...and I have to say, they don't seem to like the GROWL, but if you disconnect the black tube, and just use it as a grunt...I got deer to come in almost everytime between 4pm-7pm using it.

I used it every 15 minutes...2 calls, wait 5 seconds, followed by a single call.

Worked very well. The deer I just got last night I called 2 times, and that was it...and it came out onto the field within 2 minutes of me grunting.

I have the can, but never used it this weekend...grunting seemed more effective in my mind.
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

I have called in many bucks, small and big with the can call. Sometimes I call blind and other times I hit the can when I can see a buck out quite a distance and I know they will not be coming within range on their own. If I can see the deer I will hit the can once and they will usually look my way. If they put their head back down or keep moving away I will hit a second time. After this you will know if he is going to come your way. If he comes your way put the can away and grab the bow. If I am calling blind I will hit the can two or three times, about 5 seconds between each time. The can will work almost every time during pre rut or rut on a buck that is by himself, that is at least my experience. I have not have good experience with calling in does with the estrous can call, however. They will look my way and then move on.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Sophia's dad

[QUOTE=swintj1;202554]I use a MAD Growl call...and I have to say, they don't seem to like the GROWL, but if you disconnect the black tube, and just use it as a grunt...I got deer to come in almost everytime between 4pm-7pm using it.

Glad to know. The buck I grunted in last night was with a MAD growl call with the black tube on it. I never watched the dvd that came with it because I bought it on the way out last night. Better watch it.

I will never use another call other than the buck roar. I have had countless amounts of buck come in to that thing. I will use it for about 5-10 minutes with no pauses. When i see the buck start heading my way, I use just 7-10 short brat brat brat brat like grunts. It's telling him " yo, beef up and lets scrap. '' NEver had any luck with a can, but buck roar for sure. I had a huge 8 or 10 point come all the way from 300 yards to 60 in a minute.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Back in 2006 this buck came into an apple orchard one evening while in Buffalo County WI. He would not respond to grunts period but with one little tip of the can he came in so fast that it was something to get ready for the shot. All ended with a happy camper and good memories.

I like the can here in WI.

But my all time favorite this next couple weeks when she gets crazy is the snort whezz One call that will get the attention of an aggressive buck 95% of the time. Iím pretty good at making this without the tube call you can buy.

Good Luck this Fall
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

I don't know what a snort wheeze or a buck roar is but I've heard about them for long enough now..I need to get me some.

I use just a regular grunt tube and can, and horns, and lay mock scrapes...those are my only tricks..
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

I have had good and bad luck with the can, gotta be the right time thats for sure.......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    I have had good and bad luck with the can, .......
    I'm sure you have.......BUT we're talking can CALLS for deer. This is a hunting thread for HUNTERS, please move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I'm sure you have.......BUT we're talking can CALLS for deer. This is a hunting thread for HUNTERS, please move on.
    this is a site for 3-d archer's........so scratch.........
    I cut things up and split them down!

Default calls

I've called in ALOT of deer over the years with the Primos Can call, they work.
    As far as grunt calls go, the Primos Buck Roar is the best I've used. During the rut last year here in Iowa I had bucks running full bore to the base of the tree with it...
    John's Customs ProStaff "custom strings & tune jobs"
    MossyOak Pro Staff

I don't know what a snort wheeze or a buck roar is but I've heard about them for long enough now..I need to get me some.

I use just a regular grunt tube and can, and horns, and lay mock scrapes...those are my only tricks..
    The buck roar requires a lot of wind, I would stay away from that slippy
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    this is a site for 3-d archer's........so scratch.........
    Look at the top of the page lunch head at the forum subtitle we're posting in!

Chris, please handle Peter Cottontail for me.

Look at the top of the page lunch head at the forum subtitle we're posting in!

Chris, please handle Peter Cottontail for me.
    Made me giggle.
    I play snake

mataconfletcha

We are not allowed to hunt at night with any type of calls for deer.