You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default want to try a recurve

I wnat to give recurve shooting a try after bow season. I have a 28.5 to 29 DL What else do I need to know, Where can I find a reliable source of info on the subject? Any help or links are greatly apreciated.
    GO TEAM 12

You've got a pretty good, but small group here
    Then there is bowsite, tradgang, or tradtalk.
    Where do you want to go with this? Target? Hunt only?
    If your serious, start with a lower weight, say, 30-35lb recurve. You won't struggle with the holding weight and you can actually spend time learning.
    Are you completely green or have you played a little before?
    FBSA Member

A new book by a guy known on more than a few web sites as Viper. Should cover about as much as we need.
    http://www.shootingthestickbow.com/
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    You've got a pretty good, but small group here
    Then there is bowsite, tradgang, or tradtalk.
    Where do you want to go with this? Target? Hunt only?
    If your serious, start with a lower weight, say, 30-35lb recurve. You won't struggle with the holding weight and you can actually spend time learning.
    Are you completely green or have you played a little before?
    I shoot a compund for hunting and used to shoot a little local 3D in my younger days. I just wanted something different to try and maybe hunt with when I reach a certain comfort level with it. maybe some bow fishing. IDK just want to try new things.
    GO TEAM 12

A couple ways to go. If you have a Trad shop within driving distance, by all means go and shoot some bows. If not, you could do an ebay deal for a $100 or less bow, let us know what ya got and we'll try to help with arrows.
    You could go new, and there's a huge variety of bows. PSE makes a few, Martin makes some too. Lancasters carries Win/Win, Samick, and Hoyt target type and hunting bows. The custom boyers are endless, and subject to personal opinion. IMO if your looking in Ebay, stay with a bow 62" or longer, no more than 40lbs@28. If you go ILF or standard takedown, pretty much the same. ILF makes alot of sense to me, it's just the type of connection from limb to riser, but you can fit any ILF limb (short, medium, long) to any ILF riser, which come from 19" to 25", 23 and 25 being the most common. You could probably get into a new ILF rig for 300 or so. You can later swap limbs for heavier limbs to hunt with.
    I obviously can't cover it all, but how ever you choose I'd not overbow myself or it won't be fun and you won't learn a damm thing.
    I started with recurves, went compound for years, back into Ebay recurves, and now into the ILF thing. Pick which you think your going?
    FBSA Member

sounds like good advice to me..... you definately dont want to over bow yourself.