You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Story Time...

Team 6

Default Story Time...

Place your favorite hunting story here...I know the Images are still burnt in your head like it was yesterday,we somehow remember every little thing...Lets share our favorite time in the woods...
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

I'll start

When I was 12. My dad and I went out with the bow. I was shooting my old champion bow, I miss that thing. Anyway, we went in the top of our hunting spot, and the deer, about 10 of them, were already in the bottom. So we snuck down through the middle of the field to the haybales and it was about 25 yards when I took the shot and I hit my first deer. A little button buck. I hit him a little far back. He ran 40 yards and stood there for 15 minutes. My dad took at 45-50 yard shot to try to hit him again, but he missed Then the deer ran another 50 and layed down. Dad stalked it and put it down for me. It was the happiest moment of my life. Will never forget it. And my dad video taped it, so I always have it.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

My story from Jeff Heeg Ė JDX--

Sitting in the tree stand tonight I actually was reflecting back on the last few years. Itís amazing how time flyís by and how we can take some things for granted.
    For many years I was able to get up in the morning and have all the camaraderie of my 2 kids and some local friends to bow hunt with, we would all meet in the early morning talk about stratagies, the wind and what stands would be the best for that given hunt afterwards we would all get together and help each other getting all the deer to the trucks.

In time things changed in the last three years both of my kids have gone on to college and bow hunting has taken the side line to studies, I miss them very much this time of the year especially, we tended to bond more hunting together and I hope some day after their schooling is done that they will join me hunting again and that will be their choice.

I also lost 3 close hunting friends Kenny Peterson a close friend here locally passed away in 2006, a very close friend and team mate and hunting partner who I have had the honor of sharing many good hunting memories together with, Jamie Russ passed away in 2007 and my best friends dad and my boss Ted Schoenherr who I filmed on a bear hunt and have shared many hunting stories with passed away in Feb of 2007.

Some of the loss in hunting partners in the last few years was lessen by the fact that I was very lucky to have the opportunity to be filmed in 2005 shooting an awesome buck for a Muzzy Hunt with my team mates and close friends Jesse & Ginger Moorehead while hunting in Buffalo County Wisconsin. We also got together and hunted the same area in 2006 and 2007. I think what I cherished most about being able to hunt and hang out at the 2 outfitter camps the most, was the excitement and awe that the other hunters expressed we would all hang out and answer questions on equipment, tuning and some shooting would take place. I really get more enjoyment out of archery seeing others in awe because; all of a sudden they are shooting beyond their own expectations.

I have became close friends with a few folks in Buffalo County this for me is an unreal place to be in the bluffs or mini mountains are amazing to view and to be sitting in a stand and to see all the beauty and scenery of the valleys and bluffs to hear the echos of 2 bucks fighting a couple 100 yards above you while youíre a hundred yards above the bottom and to be able to glass a whole valley or another bluff, it is so cool and the deer are huge!!! All that with some excellent cooking and some very neat cabins itís a hunt of a lifetime.

I grew up and still live in the central part of the state and its flat here so for me this is like being in hunter heaven in the bluffs.

I had some very good experiences with these folks and some may have a different opinion of the area, and thatís ok because we all have our places that have left good memories echoed in our minds forever.
    I havenít had a chance to see these friends this year because of being busy with shooting schedules and so forth and have lost a little communication with them. So yes as I sit in this tree stand itís somewhat lonely I do miss all the camaraderie of the hunt.

If you ever wanted to hunt the Buffalo County WI area, save up for the trip, itís an awesome place with an awesome view and monster bucks some thing that will stay with you forever.
    If you want check out some of the info that Butch has on his camp itís pretty cool,

http://www.bluffbucks.net/

Butch Foxes cell # 715-459-2277

I really had a good time, with a lot of good memories here
    Thanks Butch

Another friend of mine in Buffalo County would be John Anabis
    John knows the country well and has quite a bit of property he lives for deer hunting and has had some maga bucks to show for it. If you ever wanted to hook up on some property to solo hunt or hunt with a small group of friends, John has always been able to get you set in the right direction with some awesome land to hunt.
    No fancy lodges or cabins here but I have stay in campers and some small rental cabins in the Nelson WI area

If you may be interested in doing a solo hunt or semi guided hunt this may be a way to experience the hunt in this area in a less costly

John Anabis
    Cell #715-572-3410

This is my story, my good memories of close friends and the moments that went with them and the memoires of all the happy smiles when everything came together for the guys and gals in camp when they were tacking the target and had new found confidence to take a deer.

Thats my story and i hope you liked it
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    My story from Jeff Heeg Ė JDX--

Sitting in the tree stand tonight I actually was reflecting back on the last few years. Itís amazing how time flyís by and how we can take some things for granted.
    For many years I was able to get up in the morning and have all the camaraderie of my 2 kids and some local friends to bow hunt with, we would all meet in the early morning talk about stratagies, the wind and what stands would be the best for that given hunt afterwards we would all get together and help each other getting all the deer to the trucks.

In time things changed in the last three years both of my kids have gone on to college and bow hunting has taken the side line to studies, I miss them very much this time of the year especially, we tended to bond more hunting together and I hope some day after their schooling is done that they will join me hunting again and that will be their choice.

I also lost 3 close hunting friends Kenny Peterson a close friend here locally passed away in 2006, a very close friend and team mate and hunting partner who I have had the honor of sharing many good hunting memories together with, Jamie Russ passed away in 2007 and my best friends dad and my boss Ted Schoenherr who I filmed on a bear hunt and have shared many hunting stories with passed away in Feb of 2007.

Some of the loss in hunting partners in the last few years was lessen by the fact that I was very lucky to have the opportunity to be filmed in 2005 shooting an awesome buck for a Muzzy Hunt with my team mates and close friends Jesse & Ginger Moorehead while hunting in Buffalo County Wisconsin. We also got together and hunted the same area in 2006 and 2007. I think what I cherished most about being able to hunt and hang out at the 2 outfitter camps the most, was the excitement and awe that the other hunters expressed we would all hang out and answer questions on equipment, tuning and some shooting would take place. I really get more enjoyment out of archery seeing others in awe because; all of a sudden they are shooting beyond their own expectations.

I have became close friends with a few folks in Buffalo County this for me is an unreal place to be in the bluffs or mini mountains are amazing to view and to be sitting in a stand and to see all the beauty and scenery of the valleys and bluffs to hear the echos of 2 bucks fighting a couple 100 yards above you while youíre a hundred yards above the bottom and to be able to glass a whole valley or another bluff, it is so cool and the deer are huge!!! All that with some excellent cooking and some very neat cabins itís a hunt of a lifetime.

I grew up and still live in the central part of the state and its flat here so for me this is like being in hunter heaven in the bluffs.

I had some very good experiences with these folks and some may have a different opinion of the area, and thatís ok because we all have our places that have left good memories echoed in our minds forever.
    I havenít had a chance to see these friends this year because of being busy with shooting schedules and so forth and have lost a little communication with them. So yes as I sit in this tree stand itís somewhat lonely I do miss all the camaraderie of the hunt.

If you ever wanted to hunt the Buffalo County WI area, save up for the trip, itís an awesome place with an awesome view and monster bucks some thing that will stay with you forever.
    If you want check out some of the info that Butch has on his camp itís pretty cool,

http://www.bluffbucks.net/

Butch Foxes cell # 715-459-2277

I really had a good time, with a lot of good memories here
    Thanks Butch

Another friend of mine in Buffalo County would be John Anabis
    John knows the country well and has quite a bit of property he lives for deer hunting and has had some maga bucks to show for it. If you ever wanted to hook up on some property to solo hunt or hunt with a small group of friends, John has always been able to get you set in the right direction with some awesome land to hunt.
    No fancy lodges or cabins here but I have stay in campers and some small rental cabins in the Nelson WI area

If you may be interested in doing a solo hunt or semi guided hunt this may be a way to experience the hunt in this area in a less costly

John Anabis
    Cell #715-572-3410

This is my story, my good memories of close friends and the moments that went with them and the memoires of all the happy smiles when everything came together for the guys and gals in camp when they were tacking the target and had new found confidence to take a deer.

Thats my story and i hope you liked it

WELL WRITTEN.
    You have not only captured the essence of what the hunt is really about but have made me remember (rather tearfully) some of my hunting partners thant have passed on. The time in the woods, the scenery, the hunt itself and especially the comaderie with friends, the sharing of the hunt with your children or remembering the pride in your dad's eyes on your first harvest are what it is all about. The actual kill is a distant second. Too bad most of us have to wait 'til we get older to understand this. The REAL trophies of the hunt are in our minds and hearts and not on the "walls". Even the cold, wet nasty hunts are dear to me when I think of those that shared them with me and they now seem funny and warm.

I lost my hunting partner is 06'. I never got to hunt one day with him

In 06', him and his girlfriend were having problems, the next morning we get a call and he commited suicide

I was so looking forward to hunting with him. but everything changed.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Team 6

I am one of very few Deer hunters in my family..My dad and uncles dont really care for the taste of the meat,so they do not hunt them...They are Rabbit hunters and fishermen...

I do not honestly know where my passion for White Tail hunting comes from...I always loved being in the woods as a youngster and seen a deer here n there...I was always excited to see deer,and would run home to tell my parents the story of the day...As I grew older I was introduced to hunting them by a friend in high school...I got my first bow a Jennings that actually fit me pretty good and I was learning to shoot it...I got to go a few times that year but I only seen 1 Deer and it was to far for a shot...

My friend moved away to Tenn. and I was left hunting by myself, I really wasnt doing very good at all...I never thought about giving up,it never crossed my mind...The love was there and it was deep...I lost the land we was hunting on due to him moving away..The only place I had to hunt was 24000 acres in the Clark state forest...Yea,alot of acreage I know,but the jumpiest Deer in the world...These Deer have pressure on them year round...

I found a great spot after buying my topical map from the forestry office...I was deep in the woods about 1.5 miles in a natural funnel that has 5 knob fingers that met in a creek bed that ran into Deam lake...I was ready,I knew this area very well from a friend at work that hikes it every weekend...I set up my climber the night before and had a way in that saved me about 1 mile of walking....

It was 30 degree's,the first night below freezing in late October...I remember the woods coming to life that morning like no other morning hunt I have been on...The birds were singing first as usual then little squirrels were bouncing on limbs ever where I looked...I seen a Red Fox cross over one of the knob fingers...Little Chipmunks were all over the place...This is the most noise I have ever heard in the woods while hunting...I was feeling good and was anticipating my first bow harvest,actually my first Deer harvest...
    About 10 am I heard some small twigs snap,then I heard it again...I heard lots of leaves being kicked up and stepped on...Then another snap and more leaves getting stepped on...I was thinking to myself,could this be the day...Am I going to get a shot off? Then about 10:20 I seen a adult Doe,then another with her fawn...They were coming rite towards me,bowing their heads and wagging their tail...The young one shook its coat like a wet dog,I will never forget that as long as I live...They turned slightly and headed to the dried up creek bank...Yes,I am going to get a shot on one of them!!! The two adult Doe walked into the creek bed and up the other side while the younger fawn found something on the ground it really liked the taste of...My heart was pounding faster than I ever dreamed of...I did not know how to slow my breathing or do anything to help the fever...I drew my bow and the kisser hit home..I used my 30 yard pin and put it behind the shoulder and a tad high..The fawn lifted its head and I thought I was busted...Then it took a step,put its head back down...I was shaking like a leaf in 90 mph winds,still at full draw...I slowly started to squeeze and the arrow was off towards the deer...SMACK,I heard the broad head break the skin and the fawn ran back towards the way it came in...The 2 doe ran off and circled back towards the same way...I dont remember exactly where the arrow hit because I did not see the black shaft...My friend told me to concentrate on the vitals and do not worry about seeing the arrow hit the Deer,that is how his dad taught him to shoot so he passed it on to me...
    I remember hearing alot of noise and russeling in the leaves but to be honest with you,at that time I did not know my deer had crashed and piled up...I was very excited to had hit my first deer but I was also nervous because I had not tracked a Deer yet...I waited for a hour and a half before I climbed down to the forest floor...I walked over to where the fawn was standing and I seen bright red blood and hoof mark slides where it took off in a hurry...I knew where it ran because i seen it...I walked that way and blood was getting heavy,I knew deep down I had my first Deer,I just had to find it...I tracked the blood to a point where 2 knob fingers came together and looked up,there was my first deer all piled up under a tree in a bed of leaves...It turned out to be a button buck that ran about 45 yards on a single lung hit...He had a bloody nose and a pretty good size exit hole...I field dressed him rite there and walked to my friends house for some help dragging him out...I was pretty proud of my shooting at that time and I finally had my first Deer under my belt after 2.5 years of bow hunting...

I cant wait to share bow hunting with my 3 children...

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

Sophia's dad

This may not be one of my fondest memories, but it is one of the times I feel fortunate to have shared. My father was a big hunter & fisherman while I was a kid. I took on my own love of hunting & fishing when I got older & he was too unhealthy to do it anymore. We did have an opportunity to share 1 deer hunt together when we got a place to go that he could easily get to & not have to climb stands or anything. We put him in a old broken down bus on the edge of a gravel pit that deer frequently traveled through. Well the hunt wasn't a huge success, but my brother did shoot a nice 8 pt. my dad got to share with him. Dad saw deer, but true to form he was only shooting big bucks. My father passed away in Jan. of 07', 5 days after my daughters 2nd birthday. We miss him a ton, but often share cool memories such as this when we get together as a family.

I do think it is important to remember loved ones while we do things we used to do together. Personally it gives me the drive to contiue, & succeed.

Thanks for the thread. I know it was good for me.

Tim McVary
    wildfan99

the vision i have stuck in my head is an absolute monster of a buck running over a hill last year after i shot the doe he was bedded with and was reloading my muzzelloader ... talk about make you sick to your stomach

Team 6

Quote Originally Posted by killbambidead View Post
    the vision i have stuck in my head is an absolute monster of a buck running over a hill last year after i shot the doe he was bedded with and was reloading my muzzelloader ... talk about make you sick to your stomach
    I bet you wished you had two smoke poles on that hunt...
    Last edited by MagnifiedFur; 10-27-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

Default Favorite

I was lying face down in tall grass glassing with my buddy sitting waiting for this ten pointer to come out of the woods.

Six pointer and two does walk right up to me in the grass and the six pointer actully hits my foot. Im dressed in leafy wear. The whole time my buddy has his muzzleloader aimed at this six pointer.

He even whispered I ought to shoot this dumb buck. I think he going to mount you. I was trying so hard not to bust up laughing.

They walked off and got ten yards away and started blowing and snorting. Fyn time shared with a good friend.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I know this is an archery forum, and i'm new here, but I thought I would share my sons first rifle hunt.
    I was excited because of it being his first hunt ever.
    This is the short version: we get all situated in the stand and 15 minutes later a doe comes up through with a broken leg. I first thought "wow already?". So as I pointed it out to him, that deer walked right up to us (within 25 yards) and turned broad side. He shoots one shot perfectly behind the shoulder and he ends up with his first doe. That was on Thursday.

On Saturday we go back to the same stand and within 30 minutes 5 doe walk past us. He shoots another one at 60 yards.

I explained to him how fortunate he was for hunting two days and getting two deer.

You couldn't beat the smile off of his face after those two days.

It was the first year of PA's anlter restrictions that means the area I hunt buck must have 4 points on one side. So I come home from work grab my camo & bow head out to the woods climber on my back bow & arrow in hand I get to my spot and theres someone there so I back out go to plan B so I have to make a half mile loop so I can get in down wind not real happy at this point but that life so now I am in the field getting ready to drop into the oak stand I see some deer I take out my bino's 5 buck's feeding now what well I know I am going to get busted by the buck's but it is worth a try so I but the tree stand down lighted my load took off my hip quiver I am only going to get one shot at this maybe, so I moved in slow wind in my face I have some cover but not a lot now I am 50 yards away deer are still feeding and they don't know I am here time to move closer now I am 35 yards away from here it is all open, there is only one shooter in the 5 an 8 pt. 2 5pt. 3pt. & spike my focus is on the 8 pt. well 35 yard double lung went 50 yards somethings just work out

ELITE PURE
    THE NEED FOR SPEED

Default hunting with my dad and brother and friends

We hunt colorado and wyoming every year. Just like to hunt the mountains. The one big thrill for me is to get my dad into elk and deer and see the look on his face. He doesn't say a lot but we know. I pretty much set up for my dad so he can have a good hunt. He's 65 and doesn't hit the hills like used to and I make sure we pick out areas so he gets into critters. Got him on a 6x6 nice bull elk this year but no shot. But for him to be in the moment with his recurve was good enough, just nice to see the animals. Also got into some nice muley's with heavy antlers and but no luck. Seen a lot of nice game but its not about the kill. My dad went hunting and his two sons were their. Me and my brother understand this and we now have some of the best hunts we have ever had and being in the moment!

Team 6

Thats awesome 4X4...That is what hunting is all about...I bet you remember the days he helped you...I wish I had memories like that hunting with my dad...I do have them creek fishing though...He likes to bluegill fish when they are nesting...

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

Default good huntin

I think my dad remembers all the animals we scared off when he drug us around when we was little. I think one of our big moments is when I shot my first deer and I did it on my own. It was everything I had learned from him. My first deer was with a jennings lightning. It was like graduating from highschool or something like that. I was 14 yrs old in nebraska. huge whitetail doe. field dressed at around 220lbs. I couldn't even drag it anywhere had to get my dad and we drug it out. Big deer in Nebraska!! My brother is yet to shoot a elk due to nerves, he gets the fever bad. He comes to wyoming to have a nervous breakdown every year and loves it. He has missed many elk with his bow and he is a good shot.

Default I was bear bait!!

When we was younger around 14 or so he used to use us for bait for bears, kinda. We used to hunt bear with donuts from day old donut shops in fort collins colorado area. Up the mountain we'd set up baits and I would set up treestand and my dad would set up a stand in a area that the largest bear would come in. We had many bear coming in, sometimes up to 11 different bears. Sometimes the bears would wait for us to come down and then they would come in after we left. So I would come down at a certain time and sure enough after I left a bear would come in just like clock work. My dad would wait for the right bear. The later it got the bigger the bear was the routine. My dad later shot a nice boar with recurve. He wanted to shoot one good bear and that was all he wanted and he did. We used to shoot out of arrow dynamics, (old shop) and all the guys would come and help on a long blood trail. Two boars got into a fight when he took the shot and wasn't as clean a shot as he wanted but got the bear. I miss the crazy characters that use to help out, good times!! Good times on the stand and all the things you see.

9 in fort collins colorado and it was a big deal