You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default ok ive got to ask?????

I have seen alot of pics with guys who hang their deer up by the head... was kinda wondering why??? I have always hung mine by the hind legs, I think its easier to skin from the hind legs down, and also i think it will cool better as the hot air will rise up and out of the rib cage. I could be wrong, was just kind of wondering.......

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
    I have seen alot of pics with guys who hang their deer up by the head... was kinda wondering why??? I have always hung mine by the hind legs, I think its easier to skin from the hind legs down, and also i think it will cool better as the hot air will rise up and out of the rib cage. I could be wrong, was just kind of wondering.......
    If you don't have a gambrel it's easier to hang it by the head....
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

Default tarsal glands

if you dont cut the tarsal glands off the. the testosterone will run down into the meat and your meat will taste gamy. that is just what i heard. that is why alot off people hang from the head
    GT500 27.5/65= 284
    GT XT Hunter 7595
    Slick Trick 100gr Mags
    CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn

Quote Originally Posted by gamoboy View Post
    if you dont cut the tarsal glands off the. the testosterone will run down into the meat and your meat will taste gamy. that is just what i heard. that is why alot off people hang from the head
    That is not true. Old timers have told me that to. We never remove ours and we hang from rear legs. Meat is always great. It doesn't taste any different than a doe.

I have a gambrell but initially hang the by the head just to promote drainage.
    FBSA Member

I hang mine by the head to rinse the cavity good, then I hang by the hind leggs to skin. The only concern I have for the tarsal gands is to remove them for freezing to use as a drag and hang for a scent attractant.

I hang by the head sometimes for a couple of reasons.

1. Sometimes I skin the deer using a truck or a winch.
    2. After skinning you can start taking off quarters to cut them up. You can cut off a hind quarter and the deer is still hanging.

I hang mine by the head also. The reason is very simple. If you look at the natural flow of the deer hair/fur, it lays from the head to the rump. when you hang the animal by the head and start skinning at the head/neck area, you are pulling the hair/fur in it's natural direction which causes less hair to fall out and less hair on the meat below.

If I've already field gutted then I hang by the feet... but if I'm gutting I hang by the head..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

I hang from the head for the first night to allow drainage. Then the next morning flip the deer and hang them by the hind leags for then remainder of the time. Couple of reasons. One, its much easier to skin a deer from rear to front. Two, the majority of the meat is in the hind quarters. By hanging from the rear the blood drains down twords the neck and front shoulders (which we grind anway).Less blood means better tasting meat. The blood is what gives deer a gamey taste. Same reason we soak our duck breast in salt water over night. Draws the blood out and gamey taste. Plus my dads been a butcher for 40 years and this is the way I was taught
    Last edited by jdawg240; 10-30-2008 at 04:14 PM.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

i hang them by the legs so the blood drains to the head and out the mouth and nose. if you hang by the head it all runs into the legs and settles there and makes it taste gammy.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

Very good question. I always hang mine by the hind legs but may try hanging by the head next time.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Very good question. I always hang mine by the hind legs but may try hanging by the head next time.
    I wouldnt, never have and never had a gammy tasting animal.......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Big Lew

Default heads or tails

I hang from the head only if gutting, it's easier to remove heart, lungs etc., otherwise, I hang from the feet because I find it easier to skin and quarter. As for the tarsal glands, only way they will taint meat is if you cut them and then cut meat without cleaning the knife.

Set of horns makes nice easy hanging job. Flip them over when ready to skin.