You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Fun just watching

Went to a stand I rarely sit in last evening. It's 30 yards from a riverbank, across that river is my inlaws property. No hunting alowed on their land. After having been in the stand for a while I noticed a couple deer on their land in the meadow under some water oaks. Watching them I realized there were 3, and then a forth. They stayed about 70-80 yards from me till after dark. But before dark, they cued me in on another deer on my side, but way off still. It turned out to be the same (I think) spike I'd seen opening morning. He eventully came around and ended up feeding all round me for 15-20 minutes. I actually drew on him a couple times, but it would be my last buck tag. I hate to give that up as we can hunt till the end of the year. He hung with me untill dark as well. Now I'm in a quandry, I need to leave, but don't want to blow them all out of there. So I wait...and wait...and wait some more. Sitting in the dark just listening. When I could no longer hear him, I start to get ready to lower my bow down,when all of the sudden I have deer coming at me, several. I think the same crew from across the river but I'll never know for sure. But now these deer hang around a while. One was grunting and they all seemed to be playing tag. I could'nt resist and turned on my hat light. Darndest thing is that light did'nt phase them in the least, like they were just playing under a streetlight! I could'nt make out horns on anything but they kept me treed for about an additional half hour. When I finally did get down and started walking out, I bumped 2 back across the river. Hope to see them again, and they bring their mamas or daddys with them. Frustrating, but fun just the same.
    FBSA Member

Dang...your inlaws won't let you hunt? Time for a divorce.
    Proud Member of the FBSA

3D for CP - www.archeryata.com/3dcp.html

I know what u mean..if they keep me too long i just howl like a cyote..or try to.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
    Dang...your inlaws won't let you hunt? Time for a divorce.
    Yep...

"HONDA"

It's actually a deal I have with the wife
    She's the animal saver. She's like the freekin pied piper, they all run to her. Cats, cows, call ducks, chickens, horses, she has them all. There is no woods on that property, 26 acres of mostly field, and some meadow along the river. Deer visit but they don't hang out there. No cover. It's an easy deal to live with believe me. About the only "hunting" we've done is whacking a few wild ducks a couple times a year with the boys. The kids would rather duck hunt, there is more action than waiting for deer.
    FBSA Member