You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's some good pocket knives?

I'm am being looked down upon by my peers because I don't carry a good pocket knife. So know I want a bad azz one to show them up. What do you recomend?

Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

how much do you want to spend. I can reccomend some from 35 to 700 dollars. Gerber, CRKT, ken onion, leatherman, Case XX, spyderco, do you want serrated, something tactical looking, or stylish? A knife needs to be matched to its jobs just like a tool. Do you want to clean your nails and open the mail or do you want to hack through 1 inch rope and rubber hose. The Best knife is one that is a high quality steel that will take and edge and stay sharpe.
    GO TEAM 12

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer870 View Post
    how much do you want to spend. I can reccomend some from 35 to 700 dollars. Gerber, CRKT, ken onion, leatherman, Case XX, spyderco, do you want serrated, something tactical looking, or stylish? A knife needs to be matched to its jobs just like a tool. Do you want to clean your nails and open the mail or do you want to hack through 1 inch rope and rubber hose. The Best knife is one that is a high quality steel that will take and edge and stay sharpe.
    I want something between $100 and $200. I'd like an all purpose knife that I could cut hose with and open packages. I was looking at some Benchmade knives, they look pretty nice. Any suggestions?

Ben

FBSA Member

Bechmade is a quality blade as are boker and spyderco in that range you wont be unhappy with either choice. BTW search Eba* for some good prices on the brands but, go to retailer sites and do some shopping so you dont get burned. good luck. lets see what you go with. I used to see handle material to some of the finest custom knifemakers in the US both for fixed blades and folders. Thats why the 700 dollar price came up. Most of them carried a commercial made knife instead of a custom. The favorite, the Case sodbuster.
    Last edited by duckslayer870; 11-04-2008 at 05:43 PM.
    GO TEAM 12

Bust 'Em

i would say benchmade on the high side and gerber on the inexpensive side.
    Whitearrow->>>------------------->

i like kersaws and gerbers
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Team 6

I like my toss away heavy blade "break off" utility knife,LOL naw its not gonna impress my buddies but my wallet aint hurtin...I have used the same one now for 3 seasons of Deer hunting...it cost me like 2 or 3 bux...The bad part about my knife story is I lost my Case XX buck knife,it was the small one,I forget the name of it...I gave like 75 bux for it way back when...I just dont want to lose a higher dollar knife in the woods again...I have a Texas tooth pick i use to skin with now,I keep it at home so it is good and safe...i dress with the break off blade...Maybe you wont lose your high end knife like I did if you just skin with it at home it and field dress with a cheaper blade...
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

I like my Uncle Henry...........and my Case.

"HONDA"

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

While I love a K-Bar, they are not always "practical" for every day wear/use. I always carry a BENCHMADE Model 9100 AutoStryker w/ 3.7" powder coated black combo edge Tanto profile balde.

What's some good pocket knives? - Bowhunting forum

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...px?model=9100#

Mine has been to hell (Iraq) and back and been through some pretty tough jobs, and has never ever let me down. Simply the best "folding" knife I've ever owned. But due to it being automatic (aka "spring loaded", or "switch blade") it's a restricted item you must be Military or Law Enforcement to purchase and carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by SandSquid View Post
    While I love a K-Bar, they are not always "practical" for every day wear/use. I always carry a BENCHMADE Model 9100 AutoStryker w/ 3.7" powder coated black combo edge Tanto profile balde.

What's some good pocket knives? - Bowhunting forum

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...px?model=9100#

Mine has been to hell (Iraq) and back and been through some pretty tough jobs, and has never ever let me down. Simply the best "folding" knife I've ever owned. But due to it being automatic (aka "spring loaded", or "switch blade") it's a restricted item you must be Military or Law Enforcement to purchase and carry it.
    Or you could buy one for me.....

"HONDA"

Team 6

Yeah,what he said...need my addy? I like that Tanto style tip...Was it issued to you or did you have to buy it?
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

I really like the kershaw assisted open knives like the Leek or CRKT tomcat. Good knifes all around. Good for everyday use, never gonna chop down a tree.
    FBSA-MEMBER
    2007 Black Ice
    Spot Hogg Whammy
    Tru Fire/ Scott hybrid release
    Copper John Dead Nuts II
    Posten FTW
    FOBS

Quote Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
    I'm am being looked down upon by my peers because I don't carry a good pocket knife. So know I want a bad azz one to show them up. What do you recomend?

Ben
    Another vote here for Case XX and Uncle Henry for pocket carriers such as trappers and jack knifes (both are styles that refer to number and type of blades). I like these for everyday around town jeans pocket knives.

Also another vote for cheap belt clip knives. I usually pick up a couple of these types of knives at a gun show each year. They don't always hold the best edge but for $6 - $10 a pop I can afford to buy a few and wear them down with the everyday yard type duties (rough cutting, etc.).

I am also a fan of a little traditional style and class, and carry a nice single blade folder when I wear a suit (yes, I am a corporate type with solid blue-collar, mid-west roots). As I travel and don't check luggage I don't get carry a knife abroad, but I have one in my truck waiting for me when I land.

I have more knives than one man should, but I love them all for their different purposes. I have folders, fixed-blades, and autos. For those looking to buy autos that are not in the military or law enforcement - try Ohio and Arizona, both allow automatic knife purchases and sales to civillians.
    Member of Team 9
    1.submrnr729
    2.BUNNYMAN
    3.killbambidead
    4.rut
    5.CPTBitlle

I haven't tried a lot, but Outdoor Edge has some great products in my opinion.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

I just buy cheap Gerbers now because I lose at least one knife a year.......

If I were gonna spend some money I would probably buy a Benchmade.

I have a Schrade Old Timer that I have had for over 20+ years. It's the ticket, if you can find one any more. Menards used to sell the exact one I have for abou $20. Schrade went trhough some owenership changes over the past 3-4 years so I'm not sure what's up with them.

I'm surprised that notbody brought up the good old Victorinox knife line. If you want a multi-function knife that is a true pocket knife Voctorinox makes several different knives so you can choose the features you want. They are not like Leatherman multi tools but rather true pocket knives.

The other suggestions are good too. It would just be a butt kicker to loose a $200 knife. I still cannot believe I have my Old Timer for all this time. It will probably need to be replaced in the next 10 years because it's been sharpened so many times that the blade is shrinking past it's useful life...

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Thanks guys. The more I think about it, the more likely I am to get a $70 to $90 knife. I'm sure I will lose it within 6 months.

Ben

FBSA Member

If you look around a little and find the "right" person you could get your hands on an auto opening benchmade. That'd be about as bad azz as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by 48down View Post
    If you look around a little and find the "right" person you could get your hands on an auto opening benchmade. That'd be about as bad azz as it gets.
    I think pocket knives have to be under 3.5" and manually opened in the state of Michigan.

Ben

FBSA Member

I carry a spyderco rescue for protection, I dont cut stuff with it, have been carrying one since thay came out maybe 15 years. I also carry a cheap but well made knife for everyday things.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Redhead Kronik 60-70# 26" Draw
    Octane Hostage Pro Rest
    Tru-Glo Tru-Site X-Treme
    Limbsaver 4.55 S-Coil Stabilizer
    T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss