You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: move or not

Default move or not

I have been hunting the same spot most of the season 2-3 days a week and I regularly see a ten point buck at 50- 60 yards out I just can't get him to come in to range. I have tried to grunt at him and he will move 5-10 yards closer but when he dose not see another deer he goes back the other way. I am going to buy some doe in heat but my question is would you move to the place that you see him or just keep your stand in the same place and try different attractors. I also was wondering if anyone thinks a doe bleat works if the buck is already fallowing a doe? In your experience will he stop fallowing her to look for a more receptive doe?

Do what your are doing and add a decoy and some scent into the mix. It's worth a try.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

I'd move 1/2 the distance if he does this consistently. I had the same thing happen to me a couple year back. When I moved, I fell out of the tree.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

The second or third time I see a buck in the same area, I hang a second stand or use my ambush saddle 10 to 20 yards away from that spot. If possible, I would hunt in the favorable prevailing wind direction. The decoy and scent ideas sound worth trying, also.

I would move if he is regularly out of range. Try to disturb the area as little as possible with trimming etc to make the new stand site huntable. Good luck, keep us posted.

Team 6

If you decide to move closer,you might want to do it at night in the dark...Sounds like you are close to his bedding area IMO...some good hunting strategies for you to try in this thread...Good Luck to you...
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

I'd move closer and try to make the wind work for me. Make sure to watch that you don't spread too much scent. If you can time it right before a rain that would even be better. I would prob. try a a decoy first though it I had one available and it's not public land.

We need to see a diagram of the hunting area, where his stand is and where the deer seems to relate to.

He also needs a place to move to that is possible to move to and makes sense to move to.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

He also needs a place to move to that is possible to move to and makes sense to move to.
    I vote for this.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Thanks for all the advice guys. I tried some doe in heat last night but I did not see him. I usually see him in that spot once a week or so. Last night I did not see any deer at all, must have been the weather as I always see doe and a few small bucks. I have dragged a wick covered in pee on a few game trails going from my stand to the bedding site that i always see him entering and I will take a decoy up to my stand tonight. I f i can't get him to respond by Friday I will try moving closer to the bedding site. Thanks for the help guys, and I will keep you posted on any luck I have.