You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default what scent conrolls are yall all useing

i was wondering what scent killers are yall all useing and think is the best
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Wash your camo clothes, underwear, longjohns, socks, etc in water with an unscented detergent like Sport Wash.

Mix as much Baking Soda as you can in a gallon of distilled water and spray your clothes with it (About 1-1/4 cup dissolves in a gallon of distilled water as I have found). The reason you use distilled water is not for scent but for the fact that it lacks dissolved minerals so you can get more baking soda to dissolve in it, by far, over using tap water. Let your clothes dry outside or in the garage away from perfumes and kitchen odors after you spray it with the baking soda/distilled water solution. After they are dry, store them in a plastic tub that has been cleaned out with baking soda and water. Also keep an open box of baking soda in the box you store your camo in. Seems like a lot of work but it's not at all. Once you do it a couple of times it's just as simple as normally doing laundry. You can also add a cover scent to the box but I don't mess with that since the cover scent might not be native to the area you hunt in, which wastes money and time and could negatively affect results.

Wash yourself in a non scented soap and use a non scented deodorant. Arm and Hammer makes a great one that is in a coupon fairly regularly for $0.99 a stick at Walgreens. You don't have to buy the stuff they sell in the hunting isle of the expensive sporting goods stores for $3.50 and up. In fact you can use baking soda to wash yourself and hair and under arms and forget the unscented soap as well. Brush your teeth as well with baking soda and water (obviously ) and be careful about what kind of snacks you take in the timber with you.

Do not wear your hunting boots in the house or in your vehicle if you can avoid it. Wear gym shoes or something until you get to your hunting site and then change. If you can do that with your camo that's even better. Keep your boots in a plastic box.

Spray the bottoms of your boots with the water/baking soda mix before you trek into your hunting area.

Be sure the inside of your boots are dry before you put them away, but keep all the stuff out of the way of man chemicals/wife chemicals/GF chemicals, kid chemicals, kitechen smells, pets and anything that can be a foreign scent.

There is a ton of information out there answering your question. Be aware though that you do NOT need to run out and spend a ton of bucks on 'scent killer' type clothes or products, sprays, etc... I've been there and done that and wasted a lot of money. Baking Soda, scent free detergents, being careful about what you and your hunting clothes come in contact with and some common sense really works well and does not cost an arm and a leg.

I did get an 'X-Scent' set of long underwear for christmas a few years ago. It's just polypropo and it's comfortable so I won't knock that. I have no clue what it does for scent control but I don't care because I take care of it like I do the rest of my camo.

Hope that helped and good luck !

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

I do prety much the same. The x-scent long undies too! I do find the x-scent socks do help with the foot odor so they must be good stuff. Although I do have a pair lightweight scentlock coveralls, I rarely use them once the temps go down. I also use a baking-soda spray on my hands and in my hat when I get close to the stand.
    Last edited by red44; 11-09-2008 at 10:22 PM.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    I do prety much the same. The x-scent long undies too! I do find the x-scent socks do help with the foot odor so they must be good stuff. Although I do have a pair lightweight scentlock coveralls, I rarely use them once the temps go down. I also use a baking-soda spray on my hands and in my hat when I get close to the stand.
    I didn't know X-Scent had socks. Do they still have them and where did you get them ?
    I LOVE polypropo underwear with outer clothing in the cold weather. Wicks away moisture and it's warm without being too warm....

Ron

Got them at wallyworld a couple years ago. I think if you do a web search for x-scent you'll find a few retailers.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Got them at wallyworld a couple years ago. I think if you do a web search for x-scent you'll find a few retailers.
    I will do that, thank you sir.

Ron

I use original scent shield spray. $20 a gallon at Gander. I have a recipe for making my own. Haven't tried it , yet.

i am using primos silver xp but you can spray it on your hand an smell something in it i have scentloc cloths an wash them good thinking about dead down wind anybody ever tryed it
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

I tried some odornix. It seems to really do the job. It made all my smelly places odorless. Armpits are scentless. The bottle said that it was developed for doing autopsies on decaying bodies. I am going to go and check out their web page and see if I can find out anymore information about the spray.

My baking soda scent killer does not work as well as odornix but the baking soda does help.

JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff armyof1's Avatar

Default sent controll

i use sent away laundry soap for cloths and ivory bar soap for my self

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Wash your camo clothes, underwear, longjohns, socks, etc in water with an unscented detergent like Sport Wash.

Mix as much Baking Soda as you can in a gallon of distilled water and spray your clothes with it (About 1-1/4 cup dissolves in a gallon of distilled water as I have found). The reason you use distilled water is not for scent but for the fact that it lacks dissolved minerals so you can get more baking soda to dissolve in it, by far, over using tap water. Let your clothes dry outside or in the garage away from perfumes and kitchen odors after you spray it with the baking soda/distilled water solution. After they are dry, store them in a plastic tub that has been cleaned out with baking soda and water. Also keep an open box of baking soda in the box you store your camo in. Seems like a lot of work but it's not at all. Once you do it a couple of times it's just as simple as normally doing laundry. You can also add a cover scent to the box but I don't mess with that since the cover scent might not be native to the area you hunt in, which wastes money and time and could negatively affect results.

Wash yourself in a non scented soap and use a non scented deodorant. Arm and Hammer makes a great one that is in a coupon fairly regularly for $0.99 a stick at Walgreens. You don't have to buy the stuff they sell in the hunting isle of the expensive sporting goods stores for $3.50 and up. In fact you can use baking soda to wash yourself and hair and under arms and forget the unscented soap as well. Brush your teeth as well with baking soda and water (obviously ) and be careful about what kind of snacks you take in the timber with you.

Do not wear your hunting boots in the house or in your vehicle if you can avoid it. Wear gym shoes or something until you get to your hunting site and then change. If you can do that with your camo that's even better. Keep your boots in a plastic box.

Spray the bottoms of your boots with the water/baking soda mix before you trek into your hunting area.

Be sure the inside of your boots are dry before you put them away, but keep all the stuff out of the way of man chemicals/wife chemicals/GF chemicals, kid chemicals, kitechen smells, pets and anything that can be a foreign scent.

There is a ton of information out there answering your question. Be aware though that you do NOT need to run out and spend a ton of bucks on 'scent killer' type clothes or products, sprays, etc... I've been there and done that and wasted a lot of money. Baking Soda, scent free detergents, being careful about what you and your hunting clothes come in contact with and some common sense really works well and does not cost an arm and a leg.

I did get an 'X-Scent' set of long underwear for christmas a few years ago. It's just polypropo and it's comfortable so I won't knock that. I have no clue what it does for scent control but I don't care because I take care of it like I do the rest of my camo.

Hope that helped and good luck !

Ron
    Great post Ron. Thats the best free advice a hunter can get. I do exactly as Ron says also. It aint easy but if you follow Rons post, it will pay dividends, get lazy and you will probably go home empty handed.
    Pearson Z-32 52# 28 1/2"
    Slick Trick Mags TEAM 2

Default I usually step in some cow manure

Works great. Little on the boots goes a long way.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    DB
    Man I miss having the cows around. When the farm I hunted was a dairy operation we did the same thing. And boy did it work.

Now days I layer up with 2 layers of scent lok, and wash everything with scent killer detergent. And spray down big time with scent killer spray. It helps but you still gotta play the wind,

Nice to see your still alive Ron, I thought maybe you still had a hangover from Wabby
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
    Man I miss having the cows around. When the farm I hunted was a dairy operation we did the same thing. And boy did it work.

Now days I layer up with 2 layers of scent lok, and wash everything with scent killer detergent. And spray down big time with scent killer spray. It helps but you still gotta play the wind,

Nice to see your still alive Ron, I thought maybe you still had a hangover from Wabby
    I got some scent loc this year and use dead down wind
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

I use nothing I hunt down wind and I got some nice deer 2 big 10,s and a masive 9 and lots and lots of 8,s most people have more then 1 stand on the property they are hunting mark them on a map and let the wind chose the stand you hunt that day if you know a nice deer is moveing around 1 stand be patient dont go to that stand if the wind is not right cover sents well lets see say you use pine sent deer comes down wind of you says to its self there is a human in a pine tree over there or man that crazy fox is pissing over there right by a human the deer will smell the cover sent and you bathe well with non detergant soap hunt high and down wind of the direction you expet the deer to come from and it will pay off and dont visit a stand more then twice in 1 week just my 2 cents worth and when you take advice from your buddys let there wall prove there advice the proffs on the wall here
    Last edited by Turborattler; 10-16-2009 at 10:51 AM.

I knew a guy who had escaped from a work crew. He said that they put the dogs on his trail and that he could hear the dogs getting closer and he was almost totally exhausted. He was in a cow pasture and had heard that cow manure would kill his scent. So he rolled in the cow manure and then ran a little ways over a hill a hid in a blackberry patch. He said that he heard the dogs come to the place where he had rolled and they stopped. He then heard the dog handlers say that the dogs had lost the trail and that they needed to back track and see if they could pick up the trail again. He rested up a little and then made his final escape. He later turned himself back in and finished his sentence.

I don't know how well this would work so someone who works with dogs may call BS on this. I also saw a post where someone used his lab as a test to how well scent eliminators worked. The lab always wanted to go with him so all he had to do was put on some scent eliminator and take a hike and after a few minutes his wife would turn the dog out. If the dog found him then he knew that the scent eliminator was not doing the job. He also found that if he kept this boots in the barn and then walked through some cow manure the dog could not find him. So maybe some farmer will start selling some real good scent eliminator.

Old Archer

Default Scent Control!

For Bow Hunting Only!, Scet-Loc clothes with base layers because it gets cold here, The Green Soap liquid in a bottle, wash from head to toe! Hunter Specialties I think!, they also make a deorderant. Brush teeth, then with baking soda because most breath stinks, eats apples and nuts for snacks while in tree and drink water. No leather boots, rubbers like LaCrosse Burlys or Muck Boots, Put a Primos Bow sling over your bow, then spray down that and everything your taken in the woods, including your stand, use zip-loc bags in your pack to store things.

STEPS MENTIONED ABOVE ARE A LITTLE EXTREME, MOST NORMAL DEER DON'T REQUIRE THIS TYPE OF WORK. BUT THE KIND YOU WHAT TO SPEND MONEY TO HAVE MOUNTED ON YOUR WALL DO. my 2cents!

One more tip! don't use the spray bottle the products come in. Those are junk, go to your local hardware and buy a $2.00 large multi purpose spray bottle. It will have a larger trigger, and you won't wear your finger out! Then buy the stuff in one gallon jugs.
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Other than the usual, wash up with hunting scent free soap and good clothing, I smoke up my under garments and some of my outer clothing in white smoldering smoke from Oak leaves only. I have a mini grill only used for smoking up.

Good Luck this fall

JDX--
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    DB

I do the same......but you do have to remember when climbing up and down to your tree stand that some will stay on the steps and give you a hand full.

Old Archer

Talking Oh Gosh Gator!

Leave it to you to come up with Pooh on the steps.
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.