You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rage Expandables Not Flying As My Field Tips.

I was test shooting today and my rage expandables are not grouping the same as my field tips.

Default arrow tuning

i had the same problem with my broadheads and found that my arrows were not tuned to them. what i mean is that when i layed my arrow on the table with my broadhead installed it did not line up with my flights having two flights touching the table at the same time as two of the blades everytime.this is something that has to be done either by heating the current insert and turning it with the broadhead installed or when you have them fletched the archery shop should do it for you.
    hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    I was test shooting today and my rage expandables are not grouping the same as my field tips.
    have someone run the numbers on your setup and see if the spine of your arrows is correct.....

by the way your FLETCHINGS do not have to line up with the blades on your broadheads.......if they did I would never have gotten my 4 blade Muzzy's to fly worth a darn, with three fletched arrows......
    I cut things up and split them down!

One of my Rage practice heads hit consistantly low and the other was right on. I changed arrows and it hit in the same 2" dot at 20 yards as my target tips. Good enough for me.

I currently shooting a 70# hoty katera left hand 29 in draw.After I shot I went back to the house and paper tuned the bow it was shooting tear high the owner at the archery shop said he does not belive in paper tuning. I have it shooting a bullet hole now.

The day before I was shooting a bottle cap hanging off the ceiling at 20 yrds. The next day I wanted to see how the rage expandables would fly so I warmed up shooting field tips and my gropupings were 2/3 low. shot the rage and they were even more off. The only thing that changed was the top of my dressing that holds the sight was comming loose. He redressed the wrapping It must have shifted.

One of my arrows I changed to a vortex 100gr head it shoots dead on if i put the rage on it it's 3/4 inches off. I noticed the rage heads make a lot of noise as compared to the vortex heads I have going through the air. on a 2 blade head I like to set them up so they fly vertically.
    Last edited by Breck; 11-10-2008 at 09:58 PM.

My 3 blade fly right with field points out to 35 yrds, after that they drop about 1 in vrs my FT. So I aint sure how to help you.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

IMHO expendables should always group with fps if your bow is properly tuned. I have never been able to group fixed blades with my field points even after having my bow tuned at a shop. I use spitfires not rage but that should not mater. I would have my bow looked at or try a different head. I can account for spitfires being a good head so i would recommend trying them as it will be cheaper than having your bow tuned. On the other hand you could come up with the same problem If your bow is not tuned right. Many people will tell you that if your bow is tuned right the broad head will group with your field points . I don't agree with that in the case of fixed blade heads . I think when you change the shape of the head it creates a new ballistic trajectory. Just my Opinion. If your field points group well then your bow is most likely tuned. The last thing I can think of is if your head is to heavy for the shaft of your arrow, any supplier can check that for you and it will not cost anything to ask for advice. Good luck and let us know what you find out .

Both my two blade and 3 blade rages fly like my field tips out to 50 yards. Probably even farther, but I haven't shot them any farther. Maybe check to see your arrows are spined right, your fletchings are in good condition and not hitting anything, and lastly make sure your bow is in tune and within specs.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

After I shot last sunday I went home and paper tested. after the first 2 shot's I was tearing high so I made a small adjustments to my rest the next 2 shots were getting better the last 2 were very good for me. This friday I will paper tune again to reverify then I will try the rage heads again.

my rage fly the same at all distances so i have no clue

Last night I just noticed the my field tips I am shooting look like they are 85 grain I will weight tomorrow. I told the guy at the pro shop I will be shooting 100grain heads that will account the drop I was seeing with my rage heads. Are any of these field points marked.

Bust 'Em

Last night I just noticed the my field tips I am shooting look like they are 85 grain I will weight tomorrow. I told the guy at the pro shop I will be shooting 100grain heads that will account the drop I was seeing with my rage heads. Are any of these field points marked.
    well there you go.there is your answer most likely.
    Whitearrow->>>------------------->

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

I'll pass along a bit of info
    The broadheads have a FOC ,front of center, that are different from the field points
    ie: the heads are longer than the points creating a heaver wieght up front.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

So if I move the FOC back it will get better?

So if I move the FOC back it will get better?

I never had a problem with this with expandables. I think when you switch to 100 grain feild tips you will see that was most likely your problem. Another question, were the rages just shooting low or were they doing a whirly bird as they flew? If they flew perfect like a dart is most likey that you had lighter field tips and that is why your rages were hitting low.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

I did some shooting today the first thing I did was try to paper tune after about a hour of paper tuning I gave up.I am more than certain My arrows are undersplined I am getting a left tear I cannot get rid of.

So I put my setting back the way the pro set them up for me and resighted my bow in at 20 to 40 yards I can shoot around 2 in groups at 20 to 30 yards at 40 around 3 in. I feel good with the groups. That was with field tips. Next I started to shoot my expandables I shot the target tip hit in the center next was a rage hunting tip shot in center the 3 rage 3 inches low. Next I shot my thunderheads grouping is very good around 2 to 3 in at 20 to 30 yards. I can see my arrows are wavy in flight. But I am real confident with my groupings. I shot each arrow several times.

For now I will leave the settings as they are until I get some stiffer arrows. I also think I can shorten them this will help.

For anyone that want to make a broadhead target Instead spending 70+ dollars for one I made one using a cardboard box and packed it with rags it works O.K. after you shoot you have to unscrew the broadhead to remove. The target works great with field points.
    Last edited by Breck; 11-14-2008 at 02:48 PM.

At least I admit Im Crazy Looney Bin's Avatar

If your arrows are wavy in flight then I would worry. If your bow is tuned well and you setup is correct a Rage should fly within an 1" or so of your fieldpoints.

Are they fishtailing or porposing? Or is it a combination of both?

What kind of rest are you using? Have you checked for fletching contact? Shortening your arrows will stiffen them up. Another thing you may want to look at if you can't get rid of a tear is torqueing the bow when you shoot.
    Torque had a buddy of mine stumped as to why he could get rid of a tear. Until we watched him shoot. We corrected his wrist postion and reduced the torque and bingo the tear disapeared.

i never had trouble with mine
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Here's a possible odd ball suggestion.

I don't know much about hoyts, but check the top cam to see if it leaning. I know a left tear on mathews can sometimes mean the idler wheel was leaning and you had to twist the cable yolk to fix it.

here is my setup Hoyt Katera 29 inch draw 70 lbs HD drop away rest. using a trigger release. arrow 29 in st excel 340 9.5 gpi 100 grain tips with 2 in blazer vanes. I also have some 3-49 .390 a/c/c arrows.

What arrow's would you guys recomend for me? price is no object whatever I need to correct this I will get it.
    Last edited by Breck; 11-14-2008 at 09:02 PM.