You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hey, Firechic,
    I just noticed that you're left-handed too. GO LEFTYS!
    2008 Diamond Black Ice @ 65#/C.P. Oneida Extreme
    Easton Axis Carbon ST 340, Q.A.D. Ultra-Rest,
    G5 Optix SE Sight, G5 Meta Peep, Tru-Fire Excalibur II Release, NAP Thunderhead 100gr. BHs
    Great Sales and Service at www.oneidabows.net

You have done the boys a wonderful service. It seems that maybe you have given these boys an anchor to hold onto in the storm, and a great male role model. I cannot imagine what they feel with dad gone overseas. Maybe you can bring the dad over to the Team when he gets home and give this family another way to bond. Boys need positve male reinforcement. BTW you seem to have quite a few converts under your belt. You are truly a great person.
    GO TEAM 12

very nice...
    Martin Archery Pro Staff Shooter
    Victory Archery Staff Shooter

CCPorter Pro Staff
    I appreciate each and every one of you...most of the time

Thats what its all about. Great story......... Prayers for dad to return safely to his family.

"HONDA"

Smile

Great story SandSquid!
    I was at the range the other day and I was shooting my "pretty" bow. Kids are funny because they perk up when they see a good shooter with a "cool" bow! There was a young kid around 12 shooting a typical "hunting" bow. I noticed a few things he was doing wrong and cautiously commented. I say cautiously because most archers don't want to be told what they are doing wrong! The first thing he was doing was shooting off 5 arrows in just over a minute and ultimately all over the place. I asked him if he was in a hurry and he said "not really". I told him I had 4 minutes to shoot five arrows and usually I use all 4. I went on to explain about muscle recovery and then onto proper breathing. His parents were there and told me he never had a lesson and no one ever took the time to "teach" him. His father said he didn't feel he was good enough to show him what to do. I needed to get going but the little guy was listening and doing what I told him to do so I stuck around for another 45 minutes and helped him out. He was consistantly shooting in the white with the odd one going astray. I would say to him "what happened there" and he would tell me "I stopped paying attention", he was listening. His parents were very gratefull and he was feeling real good about himself, excited about the next arrow.

Another older teenager was having some problems one day and I stepped in to show him some tips and found he was shooting "range" arrows and none of them matched. I went into my case and pulled out 5 new carbons I picked up at Walmart for just such an occasion and gave them to him. His mother told me he saved up for his own bow and she couldn't afford arrows for him and when I gave him 5 new carbons she was speachless! His shooting has improved greatly.

I have only shot for 10 years but I had a world champion bowhunter class archer who helped me and I am willing to give back anytime I can.

So I would encourage all the archers out there to help and encourage each other and take the time to pass on their years of wisdom to the newbies and the youth, some will listen and some will not, so be it! Every archer I know has a "ton" of equipment sitting in closets. I would encourage all of us to help out the youth and those who can't afford the sport by donating what we have, equipment and time. Do this and the sport will grow at an amazing rate. Trust me!
    God Bless!

It's always great to hear stories like these. It is important for us to set up troubled kids success. We shouldn't make unreasonable and unreachable goals and rules for them. Create rules that your child can achieve and teach them how they can achieve this. Support them and set them up for success instead of setting them up for failure by expecting something from them which they are not prepared or equipped for.

This threads 3 years old .........he's probably grown and has little heck raisers of his own by now.

Good story!! I don't care how old it is, my hat is still off to SandSquid and great luck to the two boys. Stay in archery.

GREAT JOB GUYS WE NEED MORE PEOPLE AROUND THIS WORLD LIKE U FOLKS..HATS OFF TO YOU BOTH. I HAVE 2 BOYS AND THEY LIVE AND DIE TO HUNT SHOOT WHAT EVER ITS OUTSIDE. I HAVE NEVER HAD THE CHANCE TO HELP OUT A YOUNGSTER BUT I WOULD IN A HEART BEAT...

Thumbs up

Very awesome to hear. Very kind of you...thanks for sharing!