You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question Due to a significant injury I may have to learn to shoot weak hand, help appreciated

Hello. Im new to the forum and havent shot a bow in about 20 years. I am interested in getting a longbow and shooting for fun or possibly hunting in the future, but the main goal is just to enjoy myself. I left handed, but slightly right eye dominant. The complication is that 18 months ago I completely tore the main tendon between my shoulder and chest and lost about 40% of my chest muscle on my right side. While the tendon has been repaired and should eventually heal up to about 70% of what it once was, I will never have the stability in my right shoulder that I once had. This is due to the lack of strength, the tendon injury, and part of my clavicle that was shaved off causing my shoulder to be somewhat "loose" and shaky even when tensed. I still have plenty of strength pulling back on the right side, but the chest strength or pusshing forward, lateral and horizontal shoulder stability are compromised due to the injury. I would still be considered a strong guy compared to most people and my strength should continue to improve somewhat, but the stability is the main issue as that will likely never return.

I shoot guns left handed and shoot cross eyed dominant successfully. However I know bows are not as forgiving as pistols when it comes to cross eye dominance. It would feel much more natural to me to pull the arrow back with my left arm, but Im guessing that I would not have the stability to steady the bow with my right arm. I would be thrilled to find an ambidextrous longbow and simply experiment with different methods, but Im shopping for something used and inexpensive and while left handed and right handed are not hard to find, ambidextrous do not seem to be widely available.

Unfortunately I do not know anyone who shoots bows and there are no dealers nearby that I know of. If anyone has any opinions on which side would be best to shoot from, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

go to and post on the

Physically challenged archers of american site.

they may be able to help with info and suggestions etc.

I know they sure helped me during my rehab for shoulder repair etc.

I started out after the rehab with a little bow that was less than 25 lbs and had to relearn how to draw and hold. I now am shooting recurve in the 50 to 55 lb range. But again it took me two years to work up to a full 40 lb bow that I could hunt with.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by sweet old bill View Post
    go to and post on the

Physically challenged archers of american site.

they may be able to help with info and suggestions etc.

I know they sure helped me during my rehab for shoulder repair etc.

I started out after the rehab with a little bow that was less than 25 lbs and had to relearn how to draw and hold. I now am shooting recurve in the 50 to 55 lb range. But again it took me two years to work up to a full 40 lb bow that I could hunt with.

Bill
    Do you have a link to that site? I can seem to find it online.

I guess my main question is this: if you had one arm that that you could not keep as still as the other while aiming, would you want that arm to be the arm holding the bow or drawing the arrow?

My secondary question would be: Between holding the bow and drawing the arrow which motion uses more of your chest muscles?

Some of the older Bears are R/L hand. The last 2 here are R/L Alaskans.
    http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/...&_osacat=20839
    Also some of the older all fiberglass bows were ambidextrous.
    Sorry for the link Chris, just trying to help a guy out.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Some of the older Bears are R/L hand. The last 2 here are R/L Alaskans.
    http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/...&_osacat=20839
    Also some of the older all fiberglass bows were ambidextrous.
    Sorry for the link Chris, just trying to help a guy out.
    Thank you for the help!