You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question How much would you pay?

My inlaws have 212 acres in southern Michigan, it has a combo of hardwoods, swamp, set aside and crop fields, A creek goes down 1 edge and there are many drainage ditches running through it. I have hunted this for 14 years and taken many bucks, the biggest being a 140s 10pt, have never seen anything over probably a 150. he is now thinking of leasing this because of tough times,
    What would something like this go for, i have never leased land so i am in the dark on this.

This day and age $2000.00 wouldn't be too much.

$10 an acre $50 an acre depending on the quality and quantity of whitetail on the property.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by STRO View Post
    $10 an acre $50 an acre depending on the quality and quantity of whitetail on the property.
    Not sure but somehow I think $20,000 would be hard to get these days.
    Maybe if there were deer behind every 4th tree of so.
    Mathews Drenalin 65lbs, Muzzys, Vortex Binos, ,Bushnell Bow Hunter, Equalizer tree stand
    The only stupid question is the one you never asked !!.

Default Taxes

See if you can find out what they pay for taxes on the land. That would be a good number to start with.

The taxes on the 385 acres I hunt in Southern michigan are around $7500 bucks a year. This includes a large private lake though with no houses on it. I find out how much the taxes are to start with that then add a little. Maybe get a few hunting buddys to kick in on it with you.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Quote Originally Posted by Bob4 View Post
    Not sure but somehow I think $20,000 would be hard to get these days.
    Maybe if there were deer behind every 4th tree of so.
    Try the math again.
    Mike from Maine
    John 3:16
    Hoyt Katera 2008.

Leases average from 10-20per acre around her... depending on the quanity, and quality... But beeing that it is familly... You should get treated better.

My main huting property is owned by my father and mother inlaw... and i have full rights to it as the only hunter, and they dont charge me a dime

I have never really heard of charging familly... when my daughter is old enough to get married, if I am lucky enough to have a hunter for a son in law... whats mine is his.

JIM
    STABMAN.... Stabilizing the world one bow at a time.

I have been the only bowhunter on it for 13 years free of charge, but he just lost his job and things are very tight so this is his way of making somthing off of the property, he is under the assumption if he leases it to an outside group that i can still hunt it, but i told him if a group leases it they are not going to let me hunt it.

Quote Originally Posted by millerarchery View Post
    I have been the only bowhunter on it for 13 years free of charge, but he just lost his job and things are very tight so this is his way of making somthing off of the property, he is under the assumption if he leases it to an outside group that i can still hunt it, but i told him if a group leases it they are not going to let me hunt it.
    Oh I see.. Well now your in a tough spot, cause there will always be someone that will pay more. Did he tell you what he wants?

If the hunting property a hunt club of ten guys will pay $30 and acre and not have a problem doing it... What county is it in?

JIM

Another suggestion... He would make more with the Michigan CRP program and you could still hunt. Offer to help with the CRP program on extange for hunting rights, and the state of Michigan will pay the bill.

JIM

Branch county, he already has some of it in CRP, he is hoping to get around 30 to 40 an acre wich is way more than i could do with a few friends, I figure more than 6 guys and it would be to crowded, most of my friends are willing to pay no more than 500.00 each. It will probably go to a group from the detroit area. They dont care about the cost.

Branch county, he already has some of it in CRP, he is hoping to get around 30 to 40 an acre wich is way more than i could do with a few friends, I figure more than 6 guys and it would be to crowded, most of my friends are willing to pay no more than 500.00 each. It will probably go to a group from the detroit area. They dont care about the cost.
    That sucks, hope something works out for you. But like anything now days money talks Maybe he could find some city slickers to lease it for gun season only???? then maybe you could still bow hunt???
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Default Very nice gesture on your part

Honestly $1000.00 would be a good start. He would most likely appreciate that. Considering your the only hunter.

Often times landowners dont want the headaches of leasing.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by jimposten View Post
    Leases average from 10-20per acre around her... depending on the quanity, and quality... But beeing that it is familly... You should get treated better.

My main huting property is owned by my father and mother inlaw... and i have full rights to it as the only hunter, and they dont charge me a dime

I have never really heard of charging familly... when my daughter is old enough to get married, if I am lucky enough to have a hunter for a son in law... whats mine is his.

JIM
    Maybe Marcus would be interested in my daughter. Maybe we can arrange something in about 12 years. She's only 5 now, so maybe Max will be into an older chic! Assuming her father get's to partake in what's yours also! We could join forces and take the archery accesory world by storm!
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

The problem is that times are hard for alot of people in MI right now. So it may be hard to even lease it this year.

Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
    Maybe Marcus would be interested in my daughter. Maybe we can arrange something in about 12 years. She's only 5 now, so maybe Max will be into an older chic! Assuming her father get's to partake in what's yours also! We could join forces and take the archery accesory world by storm!
    We can work it out in 12 years... but for now... anytime you wanna come to any of my spots and show me how to kill deer, Im game. I havent been having very good luck and I could use the lesson

JIM