You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default mechanical broheads

How many FPS would one need, in order to get good performance out of amechanical broadhead? Thank you for your time, GOD BLESS!!!

it is not a matter of speed but of kinetic energy. It is recommended that you get at least 55 lbs of kinetic in order to use a mechincal.

Site Guru

I know you didn't ask for opions on Mech vs Fixed but I'll throw it in anyway

I used Mech's previously and then switched to Muzzy fixed blade. I definately perfer the Muzzy's. I had Mechs not open when they went through targets, had their blades bend and become unusable after goign through a deer, had their blades break when it stuck a tree limb. Overall I am much happier with fixed blades, plus I don't have to worry about if I have enough KE to open the blades or how much KE I'll have at different yardages to ensure the blades will open.

Just my .02, take it for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by cnorth View Post
    How many FPS would one need, in order to get good performance out of amechanical broadhead? Thank you for your time, GOD BLESS!!!
    Alot of mechaicals will open in flight above 290 fps, so speed isn't the answer.

Some mechanicals, Rocket brand for instance, recommend 2 rubber bands instead of 1 after a certain speed. I have taken plenty of deer and 1 wild boar with mechanicals. I definitely agree that the blades are weaker, but I have seen 75gr. and 85gr. Rocket mechanicals shot from Golden Eagle, Hoyt, Bowtech, Mathews, and AR bows at speeds ranging from 245fps to 313 fps. No additional tuning was ever needed. They hit where your field points do period.

You can't get something without giving something up in return. So you can buy fixed blade broadheads and pray they hit were your field points do( it's also OK if you have a shop nearby to help you tune them) or you can buy mechanical and have to worry about bent blades after the shot. Their pros and cons to everything. I would worry more about the arrow weight. Would you rather have a head on collision with a Geo or a dump truck?!
    Home-a-lite
    "Doing the best I can....AT ALL TIMES!"

Hunting:
    02 Mighty Mite 27'' 72lbs
    Beman Matrix 468gr. 255fps

Target:
    04 Protec 27.5'' 70lbs
    GT Pro22 349gr. 260fps