You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default New guy here - beginner's questions

Hi!

first of all, hello averybody, that's my first post on this place.

I'm a real beginner.
    Already shot a couple of arrows in vacation clubs, but I had never shot any compound bow before I got mine.

I've bought an 06 Elite E500 in pretty good condition, with Muzzy Rest and brand new string ($350).
    I'm still waiting for my sights (Apex 3rd plane) and some modules from Elite since the D/L of this bow is a little short for me.

This bow is a 70lbs. It's set up at the minimum but still very hard to pull. I'm doing push-ups every day and train me to develop the muscles I'm missing
    I know I should vave taken an easier one, but small money = small choice.

My first question is in regard with the muzzy rest. How am I suppose to arrange the 3 "wings" of the arrow? (English is not my language, I don't know the proper word).
    Should the vertical one be up or down?

Other question is for the peep sight. Where on the string am I supposed to install it? What distance from the loop?

Thanks!

Well first off your "wings" are called vanes and the odd vane should be facing down. You have 3 vanes 2 of which are the same color the single color or odd should be facing down. As far as setting up your peep sight, since you are new I highly suggest you bringing your bow to your local archery shop and have them install this for you.

Hope this helps.

Find an archery shop. They will be very helpful and have you doing things the right way. instead of guessing and getting things all wrong. There is nothing worse than having things wrong. It will just lead to frustration.
    GO TEAM 12

At least I admit Im Crazy Looney Bin's Avatar

Your wings are called "fletchings" Those flecthings can be either be vanes(which are plastic) or feathers. Sounds like you have vanes. As stated in one of the above posts the odd colored vane is the **** vane and it typically faces down. (Not always it depends on the arrow rest, but down it a great starting point.)

As for your peep height that can be a little complicated becasue there is no measurement from the nocking point up the string thats universal. Peep height has to take into consideration form,anchor point and type of sight you are using and what what you are using it for.(hunting or target)

I agree with they above go to a good shop have them help you set it up. Don't be afraid to ask them questions while they are doing it>

Ok,I do not want to add any confusion and I will start by saying that getting into a good shop is probably the best advice you have gotten.
    Having said that i will add this, I have shot the Muzzy rest on both my hunting bow and my 3D bow for the past 8 years and am very happy with them.
    As far as fletching orientation, since the Muzzy rest is a drop away ( falls away at the shot) fletching orientation is not as important as in some other types of rests. but there are a few things to watch for the most important being fletching clearance at your cables. The odd colored fletch is called the "****feather" or vane if they are plastic. On my bows the ****feather faces away from the bow handle (riser) since they fly very close to the cables. This position by the way is the traditional orientation for fletching. The ****feather down position was started with shoot through style rests which you do not need to concern yourself about right now.
    You can get information on setting up the rest at Muzzy's website here
    http://muzzy.com/muzzy_help/index.htm

As far as your peep is concerned all the talk of getting to a shop is the best advice you can follow to get your new bow setup and shooting well.

When i previewed this I found out that this site is too PRUDISH to allow you to call the feather what it actually is so maybe this will work, it's called a c-o-c-kfeather
    Rigs;
    Hunting
    1999 Mathews Z Max, 29" 65#, Extreme sight, Muzzy ZE rest, 12" B Stinger, STS, Custom gator jaw release
    Target/3D
    2000 Mathews Q2XL, 29" 65#, Muzzy ZE rest, Sure Loc 9" Challenger with Extreme center drilled Scope, Specialty Peep, STS, 30" Specialty stab, Tru ball Chappy Boss with talon head.

Smile

Thank you for all the precious advices.

I know that the best way is to start wih an archery shop but unfortunately I'm living in Mexico and the first archery shop I have is far far away.

So I will take it easy, and rely on the archery local community and you guys.

Thank you also for improving my vocabulary

I should be back very soon with some new questions (I receive my sight next week).

Smile feather's names

Well I've checked and I think there is no vulgarity in calling the feathers that way.

In french we call them "plume coq" and "plume poule" which can be translated by "rooster feather" and "hen feather".

It seems that you just use the british word to call a rooster.

Again, english is not my language. Was just to make conversation

Larry Wise has many publications made to help archer's learn to do their own tuning, sighting and developing good shooting form. If you search enough I believe you will find translated litterature that will help. Five years ago I came back to bowhunting after a 20 year lay off. I have collected all the tools and much of the knowlage I needed in that short time to do all my own tuning, bow work, arrow building and target practice. My shooting form is a long way from being perfect but I've become an efficient bowhunter with no misses for 2 years and no unrecovered animals, ever. I expect to fill all my kill tags again this year also. I am not a superstar. My biggest asset is my willingness to listen to and try suggestions. I hope to keep learning more untill I die. Determination (obsession) to keep at it untill I succeed while walking away untill my anger fades are important character traits that will help alot. Just remember to keep it fun. I hope to see more from you and read your learning experiences so you can help me learn also.

Thumbs up

Larry's book cost $14.
    I've ordered one. Thanks.

If you have a good internet connection. There are lots of good videos on youtube. You have to sort through the bogus ones though.

Default Sight thread

Hi there, I have one more question :
    I've order my sightst, but I have no screw to fix it on the riser.
    What kind of screw is it? (diameter and therad)
    Are there standard dimensions?
    Thanks!

Default Accessory Screws

Typically any accessories that you buy will come with the screws needed to mount them on your bow. If it doesn't I would contact your bow's manufacturer about what they tapped your particular bow for. and Yes I am sure they use a standard size and thread turn but I personally don't know what it is.
    CSAA Member

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document

Smile

You're correct.
    The sights came with the screws and everything fit perfectly.
    Thank you all, I close the thread.

Can anybody explain me how to close a thread???

I dont think we can do that here, but check under thread tools at the top.

...can only close a thread by leaving town.
    That which is infinite cannot be many

hi newarcher84

i`m from mexico and new to archery too, I hace the same problem. adjusting my bow, since here where I live there are no archery shops around that iam aware off...maybe we can help each other.. where are you from?

Hola,
    I'm from Cd Chihuahua. So far I've ordered my stuff in the US and recovered them when I went there. Pretty long process...

Now I have everything, I will be able to start.
    (bought a E500 Elite).

I've also received today the book from Larry wise. Not very expensive $19 shipped to Mexico and it looks helpful (I haven't read it so far)

Pascal

que ondas,
    Im from Hermosillo, sonora i buy mi stuff at ebay, i just have to go pick it up at my auntīs house in tucson, like 4hrs from here. i just bought a pse infinity bow i have to go pick up next weekend.