You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default How do deer act in the rain?

I'm a new hunter and still trying to learn the behavior of whitetails. I've heard that deer don't like to go out and about when it's windy, because they can't hear predators coming up on them. How about when it's raining? Same deal? BTW, it's supposed to rain here all day tomorrow.

I have never noticed any difference in deer movement when it is raining. Windy conditions will keep deer in there beds longer, but rain and light snow dont really effect them. IMHO. I think the biggest part about the rain is just a excuse for the hunter not to be out in it." im not going hunting today its raining and deer dont move when it rains"
    The only thing that worries me while bowhunting in the rain is bloodtrails.

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

A light rain won't bother them at all, but a big heavy down pour with drops the size of walnuts will keep them bedded down in thick cover. Their just like us, they don't want to get drenched to the bone either. If it rains for a long time, they have to move. They have to get up to eat and deer have to move every once in awhile, it aids in their digestion.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

In back to back years my good buddy sat through downpoors for hours while i sat in the cabin (being lazy)waiting for it to slow down or stop. Within a few minutes of the rain slowing he killed two very nice bucks a nine and a ten and said as soon as it slowed down the woods came alive. I have since bought a good set of rain gear and never miss a rainy sit.

shot a doe today in some of the nastiest weather I have ever hunted in.....

saw a total of about 20 deer total......all while the rain was coming down pretty steady......
    I cut things up and split them down!

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    shot a doe today in some of the nastiest weather I have ever hunted in.....

saw a total of about 20 deer total......all while the rain was coming down pretty steady......
    what time was the most movement

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

deer dont seem to mind a light rain or drizzle that I have noticed. Hard rain is another story. I notice that deer do tend to move a little later in the rain and seem to move most of the day in a light rain. I wish just once it would snow when I could hunt.
    GO TEAM 12

Big Lew

Default rain

In the mountians and plateaus where I hunt, rain doesn't really make much of a difference unless there's high wind with it, or there is lightning. I have seen really large bucks wandering around the edges of logging slashs frequently during downpours in the middle of the day. The main concern for bowhunters is following a blood trail in heavy rain.

I wouldn't know...because I don't hunt in the rain
    Hook 'Em Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    what time was the most movement
    4:00 pm roughly
    I cut things up and split them down!

Old Archer

Talking Rain

Many years ago while Hunting in Alcona Co. In a very Dense Cedar Swamp I watched a small group of deer bed down about 40 yards out from my location.
    I was in a tree with a small roof and sides to protect some what from the weather. The animals stayed there during the rain. If I had to guess I would say that it might just slow there movements because of the noise of rain and wind will happer there hearing and eye sight for safety reasons.

I also don't hunt in heavy rain or high winds, been there done that, not too fun. A light drizzle with my treestand umbrella is actually an enjoyable occasion and I look forward to those days. I've shot deer in light rain but have not really had gang buster days like you read in the books. So now I'm really picky.

By the way the weather was great this year, a little warm but I don't complain about warm and see plenty of deer when it's warm. Hot is another story. A lot of super nice days early november this past rut season.
    ORIGINAL SWITCHBACK

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood" - Emerson

Say what you want but big bucks love the rain..... and will move all day in it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingaling View Post
    Say what you want but big bucks love the rain..... and will move all day in it!!
    I hope you're right. Its supposed to warm up and rain here tomorrow, and I'll be out in it.
    Proud Member of the FBSA

3D for CP - www.archeryata.com/3dcp.html

Quote Originally Posted by MTColl28734 View Post
    I'm a new hunter and still trying to learn the behavior of whitetails. I've heard that deer don't like to go out and about when it's windy, because they can't hear predators coming up on them. How about when it's raining? Same deal? BTW, it's supposed to rain here all day tomorrow.
    I live on Jekyll Island, a Georgia State Park. We have many deer on the island and of course hunting is not permitted under normal circumstances. Sixty five percent of the island is undeveloped and therefore completely natural, so there are dense forests and extensive marsh areas. However, the deer see a lot of human activity and while they maintain a safe distance, they often allow you to approach on foot within 50 feet before they begin to move away. Still, any sudden movement will send them scampering. Every evening a herd of deer, (often 10 to 20), frolic in our front yard and look for scraps we often leave or an occasional tray of deer corn. We turn off the interior lights and enjoy watching them frolic and play late into the evening. Different groups seem to arrive at different times. Often groups of bucks, sometimes groups of does w/fawns, and sometimes mixed groups.

Since I have been observing their activities on a daily basis for years I think I have some insight on how weather affects their movements. The reader must bear in mind that while these deer live in the wild, none of them have ever been hunted by man, at least legally. When severe weather such as a hurricane or a tropical storm is forming out in the Atlantic, even though it may be a day or two away, I have noticed a significant decline in activity and when it is in the area and particularly headed our way, no deer at all, sometimes for several days. Heavy rain (downpour) which occurs here regularly, will keep them away until it slacks off, then they appear in numbers. Light rains do not seem to bother them much, especially following a period of heavy rain that has kept them bedded down.

I have concluded that deer have a very keen ability to detect severe weather and appear to dislike heavy wind and rain. They do not seem to be adverse to light wind or rain when it comes to feeding time.

Strong Winds seem to put them down

I've never seen deer movement like the tail end of a heavy shower in late summer

Dont matter what time the rain starts, be in the treestand when it stops...

Cool

i am an avid hunter in alabama, and i have shot deer in the rain. i have aiso gone days withoit seeing anything.so i think it depends on the deer if they wanna eat or move then they will