You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Compound bow for 13 yo

My shotgun-toting 13 yo wants a compound bow so he can go on more whitetail deer hunts with his grandfather. Neither I nor my son knows anything about bowhunting and while the grandfather shoots a bow, he isn't that familiar with what's good for a kid and isn't that up on the current models.

So, any suggestions on a good model to start with would be appreciated

Would this be a good bow?

http://www.joessports.com/product/in...ductId=2780698

What are some other ideas?

Thanks.

The Diamond Razor Edge bow is 10 times the bow you asked about above. There's no comparison. The Diamond is way way better.
    Plus it has 19-29" draw length adjustment at 30-60# draw weight adjustment built right on the bow.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

I agree, for the price range you are looking at here the diamond is a much better bow. Fred Bear makes good intermediate price range bows, but I wouldn't go with the odyssey. The best thing to do is to go to a pro shop and have them fit your son to a bow, but if that is not practical the diamond will give you what you are looking for.
    CSAA Member

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document

I have a brand new '08 Martin Leopard hanging on the rack that I need to move. The bow is camo and right handed. It comes with a set of draw modules to cover all draw lengths from 21" - 26". It draws from 35lb to 50lb.

I will let it go for $275 shipped. This is a new bow with the warranty.

Good luck with whatever you get him...
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

There is nothing wrong with an Odyssey II. My twins both have them they shoot great and are very flexible as they grow. I would go with the 50# model. They can be bought for less than $200. now because Bear has come out with a Truth 2 Young gun to replace it in 2009. My boy's have killed 3 deers this season and 1 turkey with the Odyssey II. They are only 12 years old. My 1 son finished 5th place at the R-100 this year shooting that bow.

If you're willing to spend more, check out the Hoyt Kobalt. Also, Whisper Creek makes a model as versatile as the diamond Chris mentioned.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Patriot till Death... monkybrainz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yzmuddereffer View Post
    My shotgun-toting 13 yo wants a compound bow so he can go on more whitetail deer hunts with his grandfather. Neither I nor my son knows anything about bowhunting and while the grandfather shoots a bow, he isn't that familiar with what's good for a kid and isn't that up on the current models.

So, any suggestions on a good model to start with would be appreciated

Would this be a good bow?

http://www.joessports.com/product/in...ductId=2780698

What are some other ideas?

Thanks.

Get him somthing that he can grow with so ya dont keep shelling out the cash for a bigger bow, was at cabellas and i forgot the brand, but they got a youth bow that will grow with him and last quite a few seasons for a 13 yo,,around 300 bucks, fully loaded and a big name brand, but well worth it... pluss get surgical tubing and mount it on your garage wall about shoulder height and work his arm pullin and holding, that will get him to a bigger pull quick..... p.s. they will size him up and show both of you all ya need to know to start in store, grandpa will show the rest im sure...
    happy shooting

Patriot till Death... monkybrainz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    I have a brand new '08 Martin Leopard hanging on the rack that I need to move. The bow is camo and right handed. It comes with a set of draw modules to cover all draw lengths from 21" - 26". It draws from 35lb to 50lb.

I will let it go for $275 shipped. This is a new bow with the warranty.

Good luck with whatever you get him...
    this sounds like a heck of a deal!

My first bow was a fred bear odyssey and you can get them for a good price on ebay and it is a good starter bow.

About all the manufactors have youth models. Some are very adjustable, and will last him a long time. My son has a Pearson Pathfinder It's adjustable 18 to 28 inches and is avalible in a wide range of wts. Good luck, and let everyone know how he does.

Thumbs up Don't forget about Mathews=

Mission Menace,it goes from 17=30 inch draw,from 18=52 lbs. as I (a Hoyt shooter ) brought one and it is priced fair.Check it out,as there may be someone else who may need it also . I got 8 grandkids to fit with just one bow so far !

Default Just a thought

Depending how big your 13 year old is, you may want to consider getting him an "adult" bow. Just set it at 50lbs and to his draw length, that way there it will still be good for him for years to come.

Then again that is depending on his physical capabilities.

Just to throw this out there, the PSE Chaos SI has been given the award for best starter bow according to the Outdoor Canada magazine. http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?k=135541&u=0908SI

Hope that helps,
    Paul.
    PSE Stinger, Mongoose arrow quiver, Top gun 3 pin sight, Whisker Biscuit arrow rest, Cobra 8 oz stabilizer, X weave 200 arrows, Tru-ball "stinger" release

Welcome to the site!
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000