You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first deer

Default My first deer

After I became so addicted to archery, my husband, Michael, became determined that I should now hunt as well. Now, I was raised in a family of hunters. Both my parents hunted and most of my siblings hunted, and of course I married a man whose career is hunting. For some reason, I've just never felt the urge to hunt. It never really appealed to me, but Michael was persistent and I finally agreed to at least try it. After Alpine added me to staff and I got the pink Alpine Sienna, I got a little more excited about hunting mostly because I just thought it would be hilarious to kill a deer with a pink bow! I've been out a few times in the last couple of weeks without success. This weekend a friend of ours invited us down to his land to go hunting. We quickly called Michael's mom in Texas and got her to meet us halfway so that she could take the girls for the weekend. We were now kid free and off to a good buddies house to hunt. Saturday did not bring any luck at all. All I saw all day was one young little fork horn buck. After reviewing some trail camera footage Saturday afternoon, Michael built me a ground blind out of cedar trees (I don't like to be off the ground!) near a feeder that was getting doe traffic like clock work in the mornings. The land owner had given us the go ahead to take a doe, but make darn sure that it wasn't a button buck.

It was freakin' cold here yesterday morning (for OK anyway)! It was 34 degrees with 20 mph winds, I knew it was my last chance to get a deer this weekend or else I might have wussed out and gone back to the warm bed, but I sucked it up and went anyway. Michael and I (I make him stay with me - he's been kind of a saint about all my girly ways) did not have long to wait. Michael and I were turned messing with one of the cedar trees trying to fix one that had shifted and created a rather large opening in my blind when I happened to turn my head - HOLY COW - there was a doe at the feeder. My body was turned the wrong way for the shot and Michael was stuck in a position I did not think that he could see if it was a button buck or not, so I got the binos up to glass her and as I was bringing them back down, she caught the movement and spooked. She didn't go very far, just to the tree line. She slowly made her way back in and I had been working my way into position in teeny tiny baby steps everytime her head was turned away. Something spooked her again and off she went to the tree line again. She finally just walked out of the area. Good news was she just left, she didn't blow at us and she didn't freak out and run, she just exited the area.

About 15 minutes later Michael whispers "deer" and I turn my head and no kidding it seemed like there were deer EVERYWHERE! I started shaking like a leaf all over! I could see them moving in the trees, I very quickly counted 4 before I decided I had better be getting ready to shoot! I turned and as the first ones came past me I drew back while they passed where I knew I had a tree between us to cover the movement of the draw. Well, I'm drawn back and aiming on this doe and Michael whispers "button buck", but there's two of them and I don't know which one he is talking about. By the time we get it straight the darn button buck has moved in between me and the doe. I am STILL holding at full draw! (thank god for 75% letoff right?) I am terrified to let down because I am afraid that my arrow will rattle on the rest and give me away. Then Michael says hang on here comes another doe. So as she came in I got on her and the second that she stopped moving I took aim and let that arrow fly! She was 25 yrds and quartering away. From competition, I've been trained to not watch the arrow so I don't move my bow until I hear the arrow hit the target. So I don't see where hit her or even if I hit her. I heard this loud WHACK! And I look at Michael and I am shaking and I am telling Michael I don't even know if I hit her (I was secretly afraid that I had hit a tree or something as loud as the whack was). He's laughing at me and high fiving me and telling me not only did I hit her it sounded like a great shot and he heard her run not very far at all and crash! We were waiting a few minutes to make sure that she was down before we went to look for her. I'm looking at the spot where she was standing when she was shot and I tell Michael to hand me the binos cuz I think I can see blood on the ground where I shot her. He says naw it's probably a red leaf on the ground. I looked through the binos and decided that he was probably right, it looked like a red leaf. When finally got over to spot to start looking for blood, I was saying HOLY COW! Look at that blood trail, the "red leaf" I had seen was red because it was covered in blood as well as most of the ground around it. We found my arrow and it was covered in bubbly blood so we were fairly certain that I had a good lung shot. She left a blood trail a mile wide. She only ran about 30 yards before she crashed into a small dry creek bed. I had hit her just barely behind the shoulder (a little farther forward than I would have hoped, but hey the results were still great right?) and the exit was through her front chest. I hit one lung and her heart before exiting! I was so proud to have actually killed the first deer I ever slung an arrow at! I'm so glad to have experienced this with my best friend and husband, it wouldn't have been the same without having him there with me when it happened. See pink bows can kill deer!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alpine Archery - factory staff shooter ** Coyote Bluff Archery - staff shooter ** Victory Arrows - advisory staff ** Bohning - staff shooter
    Equipment: Alpine Sienna (yep it's PINK!), Victory X-RingerHV 350, Bohning Blazer X2's, Trophy Taker, Scott's Little Bitty Goose

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

That smile 7 dancing eyes say it all
    that s a hot bow fo shor
    btw nice doe

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    That smile 7 dancing eyes say it all
    that s a hot bow fo shor
    btw nice doe
    Thanks! It was a blast. I went from not being sure that I wanted to kill one - to give me another arrow, I think that other doe is gonna come back in!
    Alpine Archery - factory staff shooter ** Coyote Bluff Archery - staff shooter ** Victory Arrows - advisory staff ** Bohning - staff shooter
    Equipment: Alpine Sienna (yep it's PINK!), Victory X-RingerHV 350, Bohning Blazer X2's, Trophy Taker, Scott's Little Bitty Goose

Default Woo Hoo you go girl

Hunting with a Pink Bow. Imagine that.

Congratulations on a nice harvest.

Alpine did good getting you on staff. Looking forward to whipping up on you in indoors some this year.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

What a great first harvest.
    GO TEAM 12

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Hunting with a Pink Bow. Imagine that.

Congratulations on a nice harvest.

Alpine did good getting you on staff. Looking forward to whipping up on you in indoors some this year.
    DB
    LOL Bring it brotha! There's an indoor tourney this Sat night at Coyote Bluff if you are interested. I'm trying to practice up for Kansas City. Thanks DB!

awesome!! Great job!!
    Hook 'Em Horns

Julie-

That is awesome, big congrats on the first bow kill. You have progressed a very long way as an archer. I'm sure Michael is very proud of you. Did he get the hunt on film?

Sophia's dad

congrats on a great deer!!!

congrats...........
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by ba3darcher View Post
    Julie-

That is awesome, big congrats on the first bow kill. You have progressed a very long way as an archer. I'm sure Michael is very proud of you. Did he get the hunt on film?
    Thanks David! Michael is crazy proud! He did not film it. He's kind of dissapointed about that now, but really I was glad. I figured I was having a hard enough time getting close to a deer, it just seemed like everytime Michael brought the camera with us we didn't see any deer! I was afraid it would jinx me! Maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by 1DevineShooter View Post
    Thanks David! Michael is crazy proud! He did not film it. He's kind of dissapointed about that now, but really I was glad. I figured I was having a hard enough time getting close to a deer, it just seemed like everytime Michael brought the camera with us we didn't see any deer! I was afraid it would jinx me! Maybe next time.
    Congrats Congrats girl!

I just talked to Mike last night on the phone! He sure is proud of ya!
    Victory National Shooting Staff!

Congratulations!!
    2008 Diamond Black Ice @ 65#/C.P. Oneida Extreme
    Easton Axis Carbon ST 340, Q.A.D. Ultra-Rest,
    G5 Optix SE Sight, G5 Meta Peep, Tru-Fire Excalibur II Release, NAP Thunderhead 100gr. BHs
    Great Sales and Service at www.oneidabows.net

nice story and congrats.......

Nice shot and congrats. May many more come to you.
    ORIGINAL SWITCHBACK

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood" - Emerson

Congrats Julie! All that work you put in last summer really paid off!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanH View Post
    Congrats Congrats girl!

I just talked to Mike last night on the phone! He sure is proud of ya!
    Hey stanger! Where you been hidin'? You gonna crawl out from under your rock and shoot with us again? Michael sure did miss having you around.

Shhhh.... don't tell him, but I think he's pretty awesome too!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
    Congrats Julie! All that work you put in last summer really paid off!
    Thanks! It sure did!

Congratulations again Julie!
    Can't believe Michael didn't film it. You'll need to make sure to burn his tenderloins for that flub lol!
    Crackerized '09 Rytera Alien-X, Easton ACC 3-49's, Sword Twilight Hunter, NAP Hellrazer 100gr
    Martin/Rytera Archery Pro Staff;Sword Acu-Site Shooting Staff
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff; Paradigm Archery Staff; Vapor Trail Pro Staff

Congrats!!!
    Hoyt Kobalt 57#
    26 Draw Length
    Sword Twilight Hunter
    Cobra DiamondBack
    Maxima 250`s