You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Site Guru

Default Good bow test...

Check this out guys...

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/featu...006headtohead/

Really good head to head tests. I was SHOCKED by the Fred Bear... the lowest priced bow at under 400.00 and it ranked 3rd overall? Very Very surprising...

As normal it looks like Mathews paid off the testers to give them a better score and my Bowtech came in second

Oh Yeah....I seen this a couple weeks ago. Yep, that XT is something special is'nt it. One heck of an arrow flinging boat anchor...huh.... Oh yeah and the Tribute is'nt bad either, although second place is just the first place loser J/K As for the Fred Bear Instinct does'nt surprise me any at all. They are coming back boys.

"HONDA"

I hope they do come back, then the top three will be:

Mathews
    Fred Bear
    PSE

With a close tie of all the rest in 4th
    I cut things up and split them down!

Site Guru

I was surprised to be honest. I have a fred bear TRX36 that is hanging from the wall... i haven't touched it in years because of various issues... examples: strings came off the cam, "string stopper" which is also the cable slide, snapped off, horrible handshock...

After that I was done with Fred Bear and all of NAAG but I felt a Browning Illusion today and was prety impressed... maybe in a few years I'll consider shooting one again.

I've got an 05' Illusion, and you'd have to pry that thing from my dead hand. This coming from a guy that shot a Mathews for the last two years. Don't get me wrong, I still love Mathews and IMHO they make one of the best bows out there but I have to work for my $$$ and there are bows out there that are very comparible for less money. I can deal with a tiny amount of handshock when compared to the XT when it's going to save me about $200.

My Illusion is 32" ATA (actually measures 31.5"), 7 1/4 brace height, very accurate if I do my part, one of the quietest bows I've shot and still spits them out there at 286 FPS shooting a 335 Gr. arrow at 63# and 29" draw. Everything I need and I get to keep some of that hard earned cash.
    "It's closer than it looks, but farther than it appears." - Yeah, I said that.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by NE1C_my_arrow
    I've got an 05' Illusion, and you'd have to pry that thing from my dead hand. This coming from a guy that shot a Mathews for the last two years. Don't get me wrong, I still love Mathews and IMHO they make one of the best bows out there but I have to work for my $$$ and there are bows out there that are very comparible for less money. I can deal with a tiny amount of handshock when compared to the XT when it's going to save me about $200.

My Illusion is 32" ATA (actually measures 31.5"), 7 1/4 brace height, very accurate if I do my part, one of the quietest bows I've shot and still spits them out there at 286 FPS shooting a 335 Gr. arrow at 63# and 29" draw. Everything I need and I get to keep some of that hard earned cash.
    how is the handshock? I didn't get to shoot the bow, i just held it (didn't draw it or anything) but I know that was my biggest complaint with the Fred bear bows before...

Handshock with the Illusion is pretty minimal.. even with the bare bow. I shot both the 06' and the 05' before I ended up buying the 05'. There was virtually no difference in the two, but the 05' won out because of the metal limb pocket (I like the added protection) and the cost. I bought mine in Georgia for $499 out the door, same guy sells them on Ebay for the same amount with $14 shipping. Still a great deal.

My Illusion is now set up with an STS and I shoot a DeVibe 24" stabilizer and a Toxonics Naildriver sight.. So, the added mass/weight of the sights, the STS and the longer stabilizer help to tame any of the handshock the bow had to begin with.. Which wasn't much. I've shot both the regular Switchback and the Switchback XT and I have to say that the XT was probably the most dead in your hand bow I've ever shot (the one I shot had an STS on it), but the Illusion isn't far behind. Also, this thing is cranking out that 286 FPS. with a larger Super Peep (threaded insert kind), loop and the factory string leaches on it... Not bad for that much weight on the string and it's very quiet. Can't imagine how quiet it'll be with heavier hunting arrows.

Worse bow I've shot lately for handshock and vibration was a Pearson.. Don't remember the model, but I think it was a Pride. Had the angled grip, solid limbs, cam 1/2, etc... A buddy of mine is sponsored by Pearson, and he kept trying to get me to shoot a Pearson so I tried his one day.. It was blazing fast, but tried to jump clear out of the county when I let go the shot! Didn't care for that one at all.. The Stealth isn't too bad but it's heavy, and the Illusion is better as far as handshock goes.

I've also got a Rytera Bullet X Vipro.. It's a great shooting bow, with minimal handshock but it's a bit slower than the Illusion and not as quiet. I've been trying to sell that one since I got the Illusion but it doesn't seem to be generating much interest.. I'll probably end up keeping it, and setting it up for pop-ups.
    "It's closer than it looks, but farther than it appears." - Yeah, I said that.