You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Recommendation for Thumb BTR

Being somewhat new to this sport, I may not be describing what I want properly, but here goes. I’m looking for a “thumb operated” back tension release. I do not want a trigger type BTR, only the type that you place your thumb ahead of a “friction slide (???)” that is pulled rearward by back tension which draws the thumb back through this slide to release the arrow. I’ve Googled up a number of BTR, but they seem to have triggers. I already have a trigger release and don’t want another

I would appreciate your recommendation. Thanks.
    "A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"
    2007/2008 Commander: 60lb/28" DL, HHA OL5519, Code Red, Choc Addiction, .400 Axis, Self-made Shoot-Thru
    2010 Elite GT500: 60lb/HHA DS5500, QAD UltraRest HD Pro Series, Victory VForce HV 400
    1965 Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve 50lb, 52", Original Bear Quiver & Cedar Arrows

Default Carter Evolution+

Give this one a look. I have average sized hands but prefer the Mini Evo+ myself. Great release. It takes a little adjustment to get the release weight to go off at the right time but once you get that set properly I think you'll like it.
    I used mine at the KC Pro/Am last year before I got the weight set correctly. I was often the last person on the line trying to get the release to go off. LOL!

Carter Enterprises would like to introduce the latest revolutionary idea from Jerry Carter to help you enjoy archery even more.

The Evolution is a fully adjustable triggerless back tension release that works by pulling through an amount of poundage greater than your holding weight at full draw.

Simply attach the Evolution to your loop, hold in on the safety and draw to your anchor. Let off the safety and continue to pull past your holding weight and experience the cleanest surprise release you’ve ever felt. The Evolution requires no rotation and is fully adjustable to your individual bows holding weight. Our revolutionary new safety system completely eliminates the chance of misfires while drawing. The short distance between the finger grooves and the jaw will not take away any precious draw length.

The newly incorporated Interchangeable Tension System allows you to change the adjustment spring to customize your Evolution to your individual bow set-up without taking the release apart to change springs.

Witness the latest “Evolution” in release aids from Carter Enterprises and evolve into the best archer you can be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RxBowhunterKS; 12-04-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    Crackerized '09 Rytera Alien-X, Easton ACC 3-49's, Sword Twilight Hunter, NAP Hellrazer 100gr
    Martin/Rytera Archery Pro Staff;Sword Acu-Site Shooting Staff
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff; Paradigm Archery Staff; Vapor Trail Pro Staff

RxBowhunterKS,
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Yesterday I checked out the Carter Evolution. Sure looks like a great release, but at $165 that's a lot of $$$ for someone that's been in the sport for less than a couple months. Will have to grow into that release as I find my way.
    "A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"
    2007/2008 Commander: 60lb/28" DL, HHA OL5519, Code Red, Choc Addiction, .400 Axis, Self-made Shoot-Thru
    2010 Elite GT500: 60lb/HHA DS5500, QAD UltraRest HD Pro Series, Victory VForce HV 400
    1965 Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve 50lb, 52", Original Bear Quiver & Cedar Arrows

not-so cagey veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bulls Eye View Post
    RxBowhunterKS,
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Yesterday I checked out the Carter Evolution. Sure looks like a great release, but at $165 that's a lot of $$$ for someone that's been in the sport for less than a couple months. Will have to grow into that release as I find my way.
    Check the classifieds either here or over on ArcheryTalk. Should be able to find one for less than a 100 bucks.

Dont matter how long youve been dong it, the addiction is all the same.

Unfortunately, the $165 is about what the Carter Releases are going for these days.

There are cheaper thumb trigger releases from a couple of different manufacturers, but Carter is the dominant player in that market. They do make good releases and customer servise is very good.

The Evolution is not strictly a thumb trigger release. On this release the trigger keeps it from firing.

Once you get to anchor. release pressure from the trigger and pull a little harder. It has a spring loaded sear that releases with the increased pressure.

Carter has a lot of different releases. My favorite is the Chocolate Addiction.

Try to find somewhere that will let you try several releases before you buy. As you noted it's a costly mistake if you don't like it.