You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So whats the deal with Oklahoma this year?

Seems like everybody here is killing nice bucks this year. I have seen 3 big deer while hunting this year. Just about more than I have seen in the past 10 years all together. Many of my friends are killing big bucks (way more than usual).

Was the low harvest last year due to some habitat/weather thing that allowed the deer to not have to move much and let some of these bucks grow older?

Or, is it the change of management direction by the ODWC is kicking in and this is something that might continue?

What do you guys think?

Default 48 down

Everyone Im talking to is not having the most successfull year. Most the bigger bucks were harvested in the early season.

Oklahoma doing a better job managing deer. Two buck limit might help in the next few years.

Im thinking the number will be down over all again. Whats your thoughts on that?

Mcalester buck is Managed buck in the army depot.

Western Oklahoma is getting a reputution for good deer management. Got to let them walk a few years to get large.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Everyone Im talking to is not having the most successfull year. Most the bigger bucks were harvested in the early season.

Oklahoma doing a better job managing deer. Two buck limit might help in the next few years.

Im thinking the number will be down over all again. Whats your thoughts on that?

Mcalester buck is Managed buck in the army depot.

Western Oklahoma is getting a reputution for good deer management. Got to let them walk a few years to get large.
    I would've thought the harvest would be more on track with 2006 numbers, but that's really just a guess based on the people I have talked to. My butcher has been pretty full compared to last year, but I haven't paid attention to how the check station numbers are compared to last year.

May be that me and all of my friends are just getting really lucky this year with the nice bucks.

Default I do feel you could be right

Quote Originally Posted by 48down View Post
    I would've thought the harvest would be more on track with 2006 numbers, but that's really just a guess based on the people I have talked to. My butcher has been pretty full compared to last year, but I haven't paid attention to how the check station numbers are compared to last year.

May be that me and all of my friends are just getting really lucky this year with the nice bucks.

I have often noticed after a few bad years you see some larger bucks. But the trend in Oklahoma over the last few years has been achieving some good bucks.

I was tild the Oklahoma youth hunts harvest were quite the success. My butcher got lots of deer this weekend. It will help the harvest numbers. My butcher says he got atleast what ht had last year. My lease has the least amount of harvest in the ten years I have ran it. Lots has to due with guy that works the cattle. He not working with the hunters at all. Clearing way to much cover for cattle pasture.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I've only seen a couple of nice bucks this year however what scares me is I saw very few young bucks. Does have been thicker than snot and I've been filling the freezer with them....................5 so far in fact and if I don't see a buck by the end of december I will make it 6 if I get the chance. Last year was my worst year ever..........I normally kill 3 does at least a year. Last year total of 0 deer. With wife in college and not working I'm more interested in backstrap and deersteaks than I am horns.

The only thing I know, is that Oklahoma benefitted from the Big 12 having stupid tie breaker rules that resulted in the better team getting screwed into playing Ohio State instead of Florida.

Go Gators

May Bob Stoops have his privates infested with the fleas of 1000 camels...was that off topic a bit?
    Hook 'Em Horns

Default Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
    The only thing I know, is that Oklahoma benefitted from the Big 12 having stupid tie breaker rules that resulted in the better team getting screwed into playing Ohio State instead of Florida.

Go Gators

May Bob Stoops have his privates infested with the fleas of 1000 camels...was that off topic a bit?

So Texas Tech didnt really beat the socks off you now did they? Didnt we score like 60 points. OU won it last five games by scoring 60 points or more. Now no other team in college has done that. Bob Stoops didnt make the rules for BCS. Now when Texas is playing for the championship. I pull for the Big 12 team. Its a full season and not one game. How bad did OU beat Texas Tech?
    DB
    Last edited by Daniel Boone; 12-08-2008 at 03:43 PM.

So Texas Tech didnt really beat the socks off you now did they? Didnt we score like 60 points. OU won it last five games by scoring 60 points or more. Now no other team in college has done that. Bob Stoops didnt make the rules for BCS. Now when Texas is playing for the championship. I pull for the Big 12 team. Its a full season and not one game. How bad did OU beat Texas Tech?
    DB
    We beat you...if we had the rules of the SEC or ACC, we would have played Missouri (again) and WE would be there playing Florida. Because we BEAT you...45-35. How bad did OU beat Texas Tech....who cares? How bad did OU beat Texas on a neutral field? ummmmmmmm.....45-35. And if our freshman satety would have caught that underhanded toss to him with .08 left against tech, we wouldn't even be talking about it.

It is a full season...but head to head matters and Mack (unlike Stoops) takes his foot off the gas and doesn't leave his starters in to score 60 points every game. The rules will be changed next year I guarantee, but that doesn't do us any good this year. I will never root for Stoops...ever.
    Hook 'Em Horns

you guys are arguing about who's gonna end up ranked second anyway.....

SEC Rules......

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    you guys are arguing about who's gonna end up ranked second anyway.....

SEC Rules......
    no...horns will finish 2nd. And I dislike the SEC because I think it is soooo overrated, but I must root for the gators. Although I think the sooners will still win, but I hope I am wrong.
    Hook 'Em Horns

Default Everyone doesnt want to follow the rules set

We beat you...if we had the rules of the SEC or ACC, we would have played Missouri (again) and WE would be there playing Florida. Because we BEAT you...45-35. How bad did OU beat Texas Tech....who cares? How bad did OU beat Texas on a neutral field? ummmmmmmm.....45-35. And if our freshman satety would have caught that underhanded toss to him with .08 left against tech, we wouldn't even be talking about it.

It is a full season...but head to head matters and Mack (unlike Stoops) takes his foot off the gas and doesn't leave his starters in to score 60 points every game. The rules will be changed next year I guarantee, but that doesn't do us any good this year. I will never root for Stoops...ever.
    Once again Stoops wants a play off and says he play by any rules set forth. Now Mack Brown knows the rules going into the season. You guys dropped the ball losing to Texas Tech. You know that and just dont want to admit it.
    We lost to a very good Texas team. We beat OSU alot worse than you guys did. Both teams are deserving of the trip to Florida. Its not a good system and I hope it does change. OU will have there hands full in Florida. But those two freshnman corners better get ready for alot better recievers than Bama had thats for sure.
    DB

Once again Stoops wants a play off and says he play by any rules set forth. Now Mack Brown knows the rules going into the season. You guys dropped the ball losing to Texas Tech. You know that and just dont want to admit it.We lost to a very good Texas team. We beat OSU alot worse than you guys did. Both teams are deserving of the trip to Florida. Its not a good system and I hope it does change. OU will have there hands full in Florida. But those two freshnman corners better get ready for alot better recievers than Bama had thats for sure.
    DB
    You lost to a very good Texas team....and had the same record...but you won the conference. Make sense to you? You would be just as upset if the shoe was on the other foot, but just don't want to admit it. Come on DB...it is total BS that OU finished ahead of Texas...it happened...it's ok, but don't try to say that OU deserved it over Texas, because that dog won't hunt.
    Hook 'Em Horns

Default Hookem

You lost to a very good Texas team....and had the same record...but you won the conference. Make sense to you? You would be just as upset if the shoe was on the other foot, but just don't want to admit it. Come on DB...it is total BS that OU finished ahead of Texas...it happened...it's ok, but don't try to say that OU deserved it over Texas, because that dog won't hunt.

I felt if we didnt win are last games very favorable that Texas would be the BCS Champion. Im not saying we are better. Im saying we won with the current BCS rules. If you dont think OU had a great season, your diffiantly wrong. Once again had you guys beat Texas Tech we wouldnt be talking about this. BCS rules were in place at the begginning of the season. Everyone knew the rules.
    DB

Lots of one loss teams in ever conference. Nothing fair about it. Time to set a playoff in college football.
    Last edited by Daniel Boone; 12-08-2008 at 04:12 PM.

I would like to see a playoff type situation also. Wish it was in place for this year because I think on most days this season OU would beat TX.

I felt if we didnt win are last games very favorable that Texas would be the BCS Champion. Im not saying we are better. Im saying we won with the current BCS rules. If you dont think OU had a great season, your diffiantly wrong. Once again had you guys beat Texas Tech we wouldnt be talking about this. BCS rules were in place at the begginning of the season. Everyone knew the rules.
    DB

Lots of one loss teams in ever conference. Nothing fair about it. Time to set a playoff in college football.
    We aren't talking about BCS rules DB...we are talking about big 12 rules. The rules that you yourself want changed. Yes DB, if Texas was undefeated there would be no argument of course. But the big 12 screwed this one up big time and it is just too bad that somebody had to get hosed to make them realize their mistake. Everyone knew the rules...except me and most other fans that couldn't believe head to head didn't mean anything if 3 teams were tied. If you agree we should change the rules like the ACC or SEC, then you are agreeing that Texas should have been the big 12 champs. Or maybe you think it should work some other way, which I would like to hear.

And of course the OU fans think that OU would win a rematch on most days (just not on the day it actuall counted)...I say bring em on, cause we would beat them again! Hook 'Em Horns
    Hook 'Em Horns

so did anyone get a friggen deer or not???
    I cut things up and split them down!

Default Hook em

We aren't talking about BCS rules DB...we are talking about big 12 rules. The rules that you yourself want changed. Yes DB, if Texas was undefeated there would be no argument of course. But the big 12 screwed this one up big time and it is just too bad that somebody had to get hosed to make them realize their mistake. Everyone knew the rules...except me and most other fans that couldn't believe head to head didn't mean anything if 3 teams were tied. If you agree we should change the rules like the ACC or SEC, then you are agreeing that Texas should have been the big 12 champs. Or maybe you think it should work some other way, which I would like to hear.

And of course the OU fans think that OU would win a rematch on most days (just not on the day it actuall counted)...I say bring em on, cause we would beat them again! Hook 'Em Horns
    Get over it. Rules were followed. Do you teach your kids that rules should not be followed? I have been a coach for many years. Not once do I make excuses for the kids I have taught in al sports if you dont win. Just like one bad call in a game, it happens and refs make mistakes. You guys lost it when you lost to Texas Tech, fact you cant seem to comprehend. Im not saying Texas is not worthy of making it. Im saying they lost it when they lost to Texas Tech. Remember we stomped Texas Tech and actually they werent as good as you guys made them out to be. Do you feel Texas Tech deserves to go they beat Texas. Its done. Let it go and move on. You would not see me here if Texas was selected by the BCS. Rules are made by coachs and members of the big 12. Regardless right or wrong the rules were followed to the TEE.
    DB

And of course you think TX would beat Tech if there was a rematch - just not on the day it counted. BTW I'm not a sooner fan and I have rooted against them more than once.
    Last edited by 48down; 12-08-2008 at 08:04 PM.

So, if you throw out the bcs and go with head to head for the 3 teams that were tied - how does that work out? You guys were beat by Tech. You guys beat us and we beat Tech. hmmm Why shouldn't Tech be champ? Not seeing the logic..

Oh also, thanks for hi-jacking my thread.
    Last edited by 48down; 12-08-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48down View Post
    So, if you throw out the bcs and go with head to head for the 3 teams that were tied - how does that work out? You guys were beat by Tech. You guys beat us and we beat Tech. hmmm Why shouldn't Tech be champ? Not seeing the logic..
    ACC and SEC take the top two ranked teams (3rd one gets thrown out...sorry Tech) and looks at head to head as the tie breaker.
    Hook 'Em Horns