You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Anyone draw length 30+

wondering if anyone shoots with a draw length over 30" ...My wingspand is 78 inches divided by 2.5 = 31.2 and i'm only 6 feet 2 inches... My dealer set me up with a 30.5 draw length + a d loop...

the reason i ask is because I have been reading forums for like a month now and very rarely ever see someone say they shoot over 30"...
    Drenalin LD *Mathews*

my wingspan is 77 or so. I think the math came out to 30.9"

I shoot 30" bows with a fairly open stance though. I've tried 30.5 and 31 and it just felt too long for me. I didnt feel as stable.

My wingspan in 78 and I shoot a 30.5 inch draw
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
    My wingspan in 78 and I shoot a 30.5 inch draw
    Oh good to know do u have a d loop or no?
    Drenalin LD *Mathews*

Talking

Glad to see that there are other 30+ draw length shooters out there.I for one know that if you shoot that length,you probity catch or bowfish some very large fish when telling your stories.

I know it works for me !

The wingspan formula works for most but is only a starting place.
    My suggested length would have been 28.8" but I shoot 30" (after 2 years of stuggling to get my form into a 28, 28.5, 29) I finally just went to a shop and started shooting different lengths till I found that a 30" or touch over actually fit me. There are to many out there that will tell you right off the hip that your DL is too long and the first shop was one of them.

I am a weird scenario though and most will benefit from using the wingspan formula.

Jerry Whittington

well...im not going to mention names...but a highly renowned archcery coach told me that I need a 30.5 draw...and my wingspan is only 72 inchs......

I tried it for a while,,,blisterd some local 3-D shoots, but when I shot my first national shoot last year....um not so good.... won't try that again.

Sophia's dad

very rarely ever see someone say they shoot over 30"...[/QUOTE]

I must be a freak or something!!!!!! I shoot a 32" DL. I think that the tall people are just in the minority. Not a big deal if you are comfortable.

It's not just your wingspan that matters, your overall build will have alot to do with it. And it may matter what your doing with the bow. Just for example, if it's indoor only or all flat ground, you might be able to get away with a longer draw lenth than someone who is primarily a treestand shooter or someone who frequently shoots in alot of clothing in cold weather. I happen to have long arms, but also a girafffe neck, kind of offsets the arms. I'm 6'1 with a 75" wing span and shoot a 29" cam (+loop) for target, but like a 28-28.5 from treestands to clear clothing and better handle those steep shots. You may also find using different releases changes how things feel. You'll have to experiment some to find what works best for you.
    Last edited by red44; 12-11-2008 at 09:13 PM.
    FBSA Member

i am 32 i shoot 31.5 with loop,not many of us around and when you say what draw length you are to the average draw guys ,the first thing they say your draw is too long man i get tired of that...

I used to shoot 29 Thought that was right for me until a couple of friends that are really good archers told me they wanted to lengthen my draw. Man I could not believe how much more comfortable it was. I shoot between 30 1/8 and 30 1/4 now and love it and my scores did actually improve
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I used to shoot 29 Thought that was right for me until a couple of friends that are really good archers told me they wanted to lengthen my draw. Man I could not believe how much more comfortable it was. I shoot between 30 1/8 and 30 1/4 now and love it and my scores did actually improve
    Yep it will help.

To many people follow that wingspan formula like it is the stone chisled rule.
    When I shot in the early 90's I was shooting 30" back when I was 15.
    Had been away from archery for 10 years and decided I would allow the proshop to se me up as I am sure things might be a little different.

Boy I should have gone with my gut.

They set me up with a 28" non adjustable draw length bow.

I tried and tried and tried to shoot that and was not comfortable.
    I swapped to a 29" cam and it was better just not as comfortable as I used to be. Groups tightened up and could shoot longer because I was not cramped up in a shorter DL.
    Finally swapped to a 30" cam and man oh man this is nice, groups tightened up and felt a lot better. Still just a touch short though. I plan on swapping into a 30.5" soon and gonna hope that it is the cats pajamas.

Never follow the wingspan formula as the set rule but merely a guideline to a starting point and play with it from there.

And never allow a proshop that you have not been to set you up, If I did not say something I would have been in a 27.5" instead of the 28" I walked out with.

Quote Originally Posted by archer05 View Post
    Oh good to know do u have a d loop or no?
    Yupper, I shoot with a small loop as well. Wingspan isnt everything. But I have long arms for my height. Im 6'3"
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER