You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Fletching question!

I am using a bohning jig and bohning platinum glue,i know iam prepping arrows right,getting all the old fletching and glue off then cleaning arrows with 91%isopropyl alcohol.
    It seems my vanes dont last long until they start comming off,is their a better glue to use than bohnings!
    Also when i glue my vanes on i hold them with pressure against the arrow for about 30sec then move on to the next one and let arrows dry over night.I put glue on tips of vanes too,does that sound right,thanks for any help..
    2010 PSE AXE 7

Quote Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
    I am using a bohning jig and bohning platinum glue,i know iam prepping arrows right,getting all the old fletching and glue off then cleaning arrows with 91%isopropyl alcohol.
    It seems my vanes dont last long until they start comming off,is their a better glue to use than bohnings!
    Also when i glue my vanes on i hold them with pressure against the arrow for about 30sec then move on to the next one and let arrows dry over night.I put glue on tips of vanes too,does that sound right,thanks for any help..
    sounds about right, I usually run a scotch brite pad over the shafts before cleaning with alcohol......

I know alot of people dont like the Platnum glue......
    I cut things up and split them down!

bowhunter, Pure-n-Simple harleyryder's Avatar

That glue is all I will use anymore,Don't remember the last time I had a vane(either plastic or feather) come off and this includes pass thrus on targets.And it cleans up nice when you remove it. Is your glue old? Has it been left out and froze? Wow, I am at a lost,your doing everything right so far After hold them down tight for your 30 seconds(I only hold mine down for 15 ????) try leaving them in the clamp for 5 minutes before moving on Worth a shot
    Hoyt Katera XL and Gold tip XT hunters arrows...Tipped with a thunderhead

I do the same thing, but also scotch brite the arrow first. I use bohning platinum and have had zero troubles with it.
    2008 MARQUIS
    2005 VICTORY
    HHA
    GOLDTIP XTs

WAL-MART loc-tight super glue GEL $2.00 a tube use it for everything arrow related.
    HOYT KATERA
    PRO ELITE
    ULTRA ELITE

Try Fast Fletch or Goat tuff.
    Be good or be good at it.

I have been using Bohning Platinum for a few years never have any vanes fall off.
    07 Hoyt 38Ultra 62# 27.5"
    06 Hoyt UltraElite 50# 27.5

I love the Platinum glue. I would say the guys are right I use a scotch brite and Ajax cleaner let them set overnight then wipe with Denatured Alchoal. And I give my vanes about 5 to 10 min in the jig before I go to the next one.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

I shoot flex fletch vanes and they say they are the hardest to make stick to the shaft. After lightly scraping off what I can I use acetone to clean the arrow shaft and the vanes. I then use Steel Force Beyond Bond glue. I have been using this glue even before I started using flex fletch and with this glue I have had no vanes come off. I have tried other glues with less luck. By the I use the bohning jig and I dont hold down anything. I just glue the vane, put it on the arrow shaft and make sure its firmly flat against the arrow and let it set about 30 seconds and then move on.

Default Check your jig

I've never used the Bohning jig, but I'm sure that with any jig, it's imperative that your vane sits absolutely flush on the shaft. Use a flashlight and shine it on the joint, both in front and behind the vane. You shouldn't see any light or any gaps in the vane's lip. I used a magnifying glass, but those with better eyesight probably won't have to get that drastic. I fletch right helical, and it was a bear to get the jig adjusted just right, but once it's done, it's done.

I've used three different glues: Bohning, Super Glue Gel, and Pine Ridge. The latter seems to hold the best. I use the edge of an old vane to clean up any glue that oozes out the side. The only time I have a problem is one the rare occasion when I shoot a vane off (my version of a Robin Hood).

I've never had good results using the 91% isopropyl alcohol. Whatever the 9% is seems to be the problem.

100% Acetone has given me the best results.

Be sure to get it off of your arrows as soon as possible. It will etch the finish on some brands of arrows if left on for a long time. As an experiment, I left a couple of busted up CXL2 shafts sitting in acetone for a week. The finish of the shafts was etched where they were sitting in the acetone. However, it didn't seem to cause any loss of strength.

I've never seen a problem just using it for final clean up and then wiping it off, even with several refletchings. It does a good job removing the old glue.

Don't mean to scare anyone away from acetone, just be careful using it and get it off your arrows as soon as possible.

Jerry Whittington

I agree with allen...Acetone works best...also try this...after cleaning your shafts with acetone,,, take your arrows to the sink,,run some water over them, then let them air dry.........

I use super glue gel I buy at the dollar store. 2 small tubes for $1. I have never had a vane come off that I didn't want to have come off.

I also use acetone to clean the shafts. You can get pure acetone at Wallyworld in the cosmetic section by the nail polish removers for about $2 for 32 ounces which will last you for years. Just read the labels and be sure you get 100% acetone and not the acetone with "nail conditioners" in it. The scotch brite pad also works great to get the last bit of glue residue off the shaft. Be careful about getting acetone on the nocks though since some nock material can be damaged (partially melted) by coming in contact with acetone.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Quote Originally Posted by PA.JAY View Post
    WAL-MART loc-tight super glue GEL $2.00 a tube use it for everything arrow related.
    +1

and also I clean the shafts with acetone. Haven't had a vane or feather come off since I started using loc-tight super glue GEL. You can find it in the 10g tubes also...

Hey thanks for all your reply"s i see i need to do few things different,these easton st epic arrows are super slick so i will try the scotch brite pad and use acetone and see what hsppens,thanks again all for your help.
    2010 PSE AXE 7

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I've never had good results using the 91% isopropyl alcohol. Whatever the 9% is seems to be the problem.

100% Acetone has given me the best results.

Be sure to get it off of your arrows as soon as possible. It will etch the finish on some brands of arrows if left on for a long time. As an experiment, I left a couple of busted up CXL2 shafts sitting in acetone for a week. The finish of the shafts was etched where they were sitting in the acetone. However, it didn't seem to cause any loss of strength.

I've never seen a problem just using it for final clean up and then wiping it off, even with several refletchings. It does a good job removing the old glue.

Don't mean to scare anyone away from acetone, just be careful using it and get it off your arrows as soon as possible.
    I agree. Or try Denatured Alcohol. It's safer for your shafts and cleans well. I put it on a rag and rub the shaft until it gives that high pitched squeak. I love fletch tite platinum, and have never had a problem with it.

Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
    I agree. Or try Denatured Alcohol. It's safer for your shafts and cleans well. I put it on a rag and rub the shaft until it gives that high pitched squeak. I love fletch tite platinum, and have never had a problem with it.

Ben
    X2,
    Dont soak your shafts in acetone, just rub em down. Acetone will errode the glue that bonds the carbon fibers toghther and lead to shafts being destroyed if they are left to soak.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

Rnt mentions, in passing, to clean the vanes with solvent - I second that.
    I can picture a bit of 'manufacturing slime' still on them.
    That which is infinite cannot be many

Quote Originally Posted by Lefteye View Post
    Rnt mentions, in passing, to clean the vanes with solvent - I second that.
    I can picture a bit of 'manufacturing slime' still on them.
    If your using Blazer Vanes don't clean them. They are pre treated with a primer from the factory.

Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member