You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Member OneMustFall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    796

    Default Fletching question!

    I am using a bohning jig and bohning platinum glue,i know iam prepping arrows right,getting all the old fletching and glue off then cleaning arrows with 91%isopropyl alcohol.
    It seems my vanes dont last long until they start comming off,is their a better glue to use than bohnings!
    Also when i glue my vanes on i hold them with pressure against the arrow for about 30sec then move on to the next one and let arrows dry over night.I put glue on tips of vanes too,does that sound right,thanks for any help..
    2010 PSE AXE 7

  2. #2
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
    I am using a bohning jig and bohning platinum glue,i know iam prepping arrows right,getting all the old fletching and glue off then cleaning arrows with 91%isopropyl alcohol.
    It seems my vanes dont last long until they start comming off,is their a better glue to use than bohnings!
    Also when i glue my vanes on i hold them with pressure against the arrow for about 30sec then move on to the next one and let arrows dry over night.I put glue on tips of vanes too,does that sound right,thanks for any help..
    sounds about right, I usually run a scotch brite pad over the shafts before cleaning with alcohol......

    I know alot of people dont like the Platnum glue......
    I cut things up and split them down!

  3. #3
    bowhunter, Pure-n-Simple harleyryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Blackhills of South Dakota
    Posts
    156

    Default

    That glue is all I will use anymore,Don't remember the last time I had a vane(either plastic or feather) come off and this includes pass thrus on targets.And it cleans up nice when you remove it. Is your glue old? Has it been left out and froze? Wow, I am at a lost,your doing everything right so far After hold them down tight for your 30 seconds(I only hold mine down for 15 ????) try leaving them in the clamp for 5 minutes before moving on Worth a shot
    Hoyt Katera XL and Gold tip XT hunters arrows...Tipped with a thunderhead

  4. #4

    Default

    I do the same thing, but also scotch brite the arrow first. I use bohning platinum and have had zero troubles with it.
    2008 MARQUIS
    2005 VICTORY
    HHA
    GOLDTIP XTs

  5. #5
    Senior Member PA.JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    GREENSBURG PA.
    Posts
    213

    Default

    WAL-MART loc-tight super glue GEL $2.00 a tube use it for everything arrow related.
    HOYT KATERA
    PRO ELITE
    ULTRA ELITE

  6. #6
    Super Member BuckeyeRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    Try Fast Fletch or Goat tuff.
    Be good or be good at it.

  7. #7
    Vote for Pedro UltraElite 06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Greene county N.Y.
    Posts
    281

    Default

    I have been using Bohning Platinum for a few years never have any vanes fall off.
    07 Hoyt 38Ultra 62# 27.5"
    06 Hoyt UltraElite 50# 27.5

  8. #8

    Default

    I love the Platinum glue. I would say the guys are right I use a scotch brite and Ajax cleaner let them set overnight then wipe with Denatured Alchoal. And I give my vanes about 5 to 10 min in the jig before I go to the next one.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I shoot flex fletch vanes and they say they are the hardest to make stick to the shaft. After lightly scraping off what I can I use acetone to clean the arrow shaft and the vanes. I then use Steel Force Beyond Bond glue. I have been using this glue even before I started using flex fletch and with this glue I have had no vanes come off. I have tried other glues with less luck. By the I use the bohning jig and I dont hold down anything. I just glue the vane, put it on the arrow shaft and make sure its firmly flat against the arrow and let it set about 30 seconds and then move on.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    137

    Default Check your jig

    I've never used the Bohning jig, but I'm sure that with any jig, it's imperative that your vane sits absolutely flush on the shaft. Use a flashlight and shine it on the joint, both in front and behind the vane. You shouldn't see any light or any gaps in the vane's lip. I used a magnifying glass, but those with better eyesight probably won't have to get that drastic. I fletch right helical, and it was a bear to get the jig adjusted just right, but once it's done, it's done.

    I've used three different glues: Bohning, Super Glue Gel, and Pine Ridge. The latter seems to hold the best. I use the edge of an old vane to clean up any glue that oozes out the side. The only time I have a problem is one the rare occasion when I shoot a vane off (my version of a Robin Hood).

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    532

    Default

    I've never had good results using the 91% isopropyl alcohol. Whatever the 9% is seems to be the problem.

    100% Acetone has given me the best results.

    Be sure to get it off of your arrows as soon as possible. It will etch the finish on some brands of arrows if left on for a long time. As an experiment, I left a couple of busted up CXL2 shafts sitting in acetone for a week. The finish of the shafts was etched where they were sitting in the acetone. However, it didn't seem to cause any loss of strength.

    I've never seen a problem just using it for final clean up and then wiping it off, even with several refletchings. It does a good job removing the old glue.

    Don't mean to scare anyone away from acetone, just be careful using it and get it off your arrows as soon as possible.

  12. #12
    Jerry Whittington
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hickory NC
    Posts
    276

    Default

    I agree with allen...Acetone works best...also try this...after cleaning your shafts with acetone,,, take your arrows to the sink,,run some water over them, then let them air dry.........

  13. #13
    RIP Ronhop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rock Island, IL
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    I use super glue gel I buy at the dollar store. 2 small tubes for $1. I have never had a vane come off that I didn't want to have come off.

    I also use acetone to clean the shafts. You can get pure acetone at Wallyworld in the cosmetic section by the nail polish removers for about $2 for 32 ounces which will last you for years. Just read the labels and be sure you get 100% acetone and not the acetone with "nail conditioners" in it. The scotch brite pad also works great to get the last bit of glue residue off the shaft. Be careful about getting acetone on the nocks though since some nock material can be damaged (partially melted) by coming in contact with acetone.

    Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

    Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

  14. #14
    Senior Member 48down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sapulpa, OK
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PA.JAY View Post
    WAL-MART loc-tight super glue GEL $2.00 a tube use it for everything arrow related.
    +1

    and also I clean the shafts with acetone. Haven't had a vane or feather come off since I started using loc-tight super glue GEL. You can find it in the 10g tubes also...

  15. #15
    Member OneMustFall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Hey thanks for all your reply"s i see i need to do few things different,these easton st epic arrows are super slick so i will try the scotch brite pad and use acetone and see what hsppens,thanks again all for your help.
    2010 PSE AXE 7

  16. #16
    Senior Member beenfarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Belleville, MI
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I've never had good results using the 91% isopropyl alcohol. Whatever the 9% is seems to be the problem.

    100% Acetone has given me the best results.

    Be sure to get it off of your arrows as soon as possible. It will etch the finish on some brands of arrows if left on for a long time. As an experiment, I left a couple of busted up CXL2 shafts sitting in acetone for a week. The finish of the shafts was etched where they were sitting in the acetone. However, it didn't seem to cause any loss of strength.

    I've never seen a problem just using it for final clean up and then wiping it off, even with several refletchings. It does a good job removing the old glue.

    Don't mean to scare anyone away from acetone, just be careful using it and get it off your arrows as soon as possible.
    I agree. Or try Denatured Alcohol. It's safer for your shafts and cleans well. I put it on a rag and rub the shaft until it gives that high pitched squeak. I love fletch tite platinum, and have never had a problem with it.

    Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

    FBSA Member

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
    I agree. Or try Denatured Alcohol. It's safer for your shafts and cleans well. I put it on a rag and rub the shaft until it gives that high pitched squeak. I love fletch tite platinum, and have never had a problem with it.

    Ben
    X2,
    Dont soak your shafts in acetone, just rub em down. Acetone will errode the glue that bonds the carbon fibers toghther and lead to shafts being destroyed if they are left to soak.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Key West FL
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Rnt mentions, in passing, to clean the vanes with solvent - I second that.
    I can picture a bit of 'manufacturing slime' still on them.
    That which is infinite cannot be many

  19. #19
    Senior Member beenfarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Belleville, MI
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lefteye View Post
    Rnt mentions, in passing, to clean the vanes with solvent - I second that.
    I can picture a bit of 'manufacturing slime' still on them.
    If your using Blazer Vanes don't clean them. They are pre treated with a primer from the factory.

    Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

    FBSA Member

Similar Threads

  1. Arrow Fletching Question?
    By Radar in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
  2. Fletching Question
    By Cloverwolf in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 10:26 AM
  3. Fletching Question, Helical numbers
    By vmabuck in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 11:37 AM
  4. Another fletching question HELP !
    By WML in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 11:23 PM
  5. Question about fletching glue.
    By 12ring4me in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-13-2006, 10:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •