You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bow suggestions, $500 or so, maybe a touch higher!

WHen my first kid was on the way, my wife said "you know, you're going to have to help out a bit more around the house when this baby comes..." and so I did, I gave up everything but my golf membership, and a couple years that vanished too! Slowly but surely, I'm back doing most of my activities, my boy and I were at Cabela's the other day, and I ordered him a left handed kids 30-40lb Parker Side-Kick XP Outfitter Bow Package, he shot it, he liked it, seemed nice to me & I liked that I could order the extra 40-50lb arms for it for $50. Most likely, I could have gotten him something better, but the deed is done now!

However, I have time to get something more appropriete for me. I was a Martin bow owner, 80s & early 90s. I see where some find various brands to their liking, and I think that the notion of having a bow that throughs off less vibrations would be something that would be appealing to me. Seems some think Mathews is good for this, but sounds like I can't afford one! Any other recommendations for this & any other reasons to pick a particular bow, would be great. I plan on doing some casual target practice with it at the club up the street & will likely do some deer hunting also, nothing super series either way.

And, any suggestions on where to purchase such a bow online would be killer too...

Thanks all...Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin2; 12-15-2008 at 09:56 PM.

If you want a new bow check out the Mission line by Mathews or The new Hoyt Superhawk and Powerhawk.

The Mission line is made by Mathews. They just don't have all the lateset, greatest "innovations". Still real nice bows for less money than the top dollar Mathews.

The Powerhawk and Superhawk are made along the same lines for Hoyt and the Mission line for Mathews.

Default My suggestion

Buy used. Lots of excellant buys from guys with good reputations for selling.

Check here and Archerytalk.com classifiads.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

i own a mission x5 that i picked up used. with rest sights and quiver for about 600. i recently shot a diamond edge by bowtech and it was smooth light weight and comfortable. and pretty much adjustable in every way. i plan on getting my wife one for christmas. you can get an 08 model with sights rest and quiver for 299 to 329 here. arrow are whats gonna cost you
    GT500 27.5/65= 284
    GT XT Hunter 7595
    Slick Trick 100gr Mags
    CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn

Used would be the way to go.

Cabelas has the Reflex Growler on sale online. It's $100 less than normal and it's a sweet bow. I bought one earlier this year and I love it. I think the price was $350 for a complete bow setup. IMO it's a great bow at a great price.
    I don't like you! Wanna go huntin'?

Like DB says, buy used. I got my bow used for about $275 including bow, new sight, and 6 broadheads. It's a Mathews Solocam MQ1, maybe 2001 technology. I never imagined I could afford a Mathews. I absolutely love this bow. It's light, fast, and quiet.

Go to a sporting goods store that specializes in hunting equipment. Stay away from chain sporting goods stores, because chances are you know more about bows than the high school kid behind the counter.

Bow suggestions, $500 or so, maybe a touch higher! - Bowhunting forum
    Mathews Solo Cam, CVA Optima, Savage 111 30-06.

If you have to ask, you'll never understand.

I found a good used gto from a good guy right in your price range just keep looking on these forums and you can find some great deals

Default Some deals out there

I don't know about other parts of the country, but I went to a shop about 30 miles from here, in North Georgia, and they had all their bows at about 50% off. They had a fully-equipped Reflex Growler for $450. I guess the economy is hitting the sporting goods market hard, too.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=797860

I'm selling this bow in the AT classifieds right now. It is not the same Martin bow as back in the 80's and 90's. I shot Martin throughout that entire time period myself and am pretty familiar with them. Let me know if you're interested.

John
    Crackerized '09 Rytera Alien-X, Easton ACC 3-49's, Sword Twilight Hunter, NAP Hellrazer 100gr
    Martin/Rytera Archery Pro Staff;Sword Acu-Site Shooting Staff
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff; Paradigm Archery Staff; Vapor Trail Pro Staff

I found a new 2007 Hoyt Vectrix for $425. Much less vibration than my 2004 Hoyt pre parallel limb bow. One very tough and nice shooting bow. Too many others to list. Shoot all you can before you buy. You'll figure out what you like. If you stick to parallel limb designs, the bow jump all but dissappears. Have fun, I do.

Shoot all you can because all bows feel different to different people. For that price though I would suggest a new Mission,Reflex,Diamond, or Bear. GOOD LUCK and have lots of fun.

"HONDA"

OK, I've shot all sorts of bows. And, to be honest, after a while I just can't tell any major differences from one bow to another. I do know that I like the single cam bows better, easier to pull back being the main reason. I did like the PSE Bow Madness XS today. Would have bought it, but want to give it a day or two and go back and shoot my favorite 3 bows again. A diamond, Mathews, and the PSE.

Is PSE a good bow? It seemed to be one of the softer sounding bows, but after a while it is hard to tell one from another too.

Kevin

Default Evaluate Used

Right now is a great opportunity to buy very good used equipment. Deer season is over and the economy down. I have owned the same PSE bow for 20 years. It has never let me down and they make very good products. I was long overdue for an upgrade. I recently purchase a Bowtech Diamond Black Ice that was virtually new and loaded for about $500.00 (sight, release, carbon arrows, rest, broadheads, etc.). This was close to a $1,000.00 package at retail. For comparison, I shot both a 2009 PSE Bow Madness and a 2009 Diamond Black Ice. To me the Black Ice shot smoother and felt better. The PSE was definately faster but speed is speed and both would be more than effective for the bow hunting I do. I also felt the PSE had a bit more vibration. With that said and to be fair to PSE it's possible the PSE set-up / tune may not have been as good as the Bowtech. After shooting both my decision was easy with the $500.00 Black Ice on the line. Narrow your choice to a couple of options and know you can buy more bow for your money going used. Find a shop willing to let you shoot those options side by side and see what feels best for you. I know the shop guys will hate this comment but they also need to remember that they can add value even to a used purchase. You can certainly get burned buying used but it's worth a look. I've probably purchased the last bow I will ever own and I'm amazed how far things have come in 20 years (think cars). I've increased my effective shooting range by a minimum of 15 yards.

I'm really not pushing hard to sell my baby, a Elite GTO-AT, but i may consider selling it with the fallaway rest for $500 plus transfer fees if you want a awesome bow at a great price.
    BLIND HUNTERS SUPPLY LLC
    PREDATOR TRAILCAM's - TUFF BLINDS- Double D arrow pullers
    ARTIC ARMOR- The warmest/ lightest suits period- and they float!
    ASAT Blinds and camo clothing Dealer
    2009 MONSTER PHOENIX-i'm not afraid of monsters!

On archerytalk there is some great bow going for low prices
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

i will sell you an 07 bowtech guardian for 400 with a cobra dropaway and u pay shipping

Quote Originally Posted by archerykid12 View Post
    i will sell you an 07 bowtech guardian for 400 with a cobra dropaway and u pay shipping
    you have no luck still have you posted it on AT yet
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Quote Originally Posted by hstubblefield View Post
    you have no luck still have you posted it on AT yet
    yep its been on there for a couple days and already it has gotten more offers over there than i have here in over a month

i have no luck over here either put my C3 on AT and it sold in a day
    Bad Boys Bowfishing