You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default '08 Guardian vs. '09 Captin vs. '09 Admiral

Okay I am in a bit of corner on this one. I have shot the Captin and absolutely loved it considering the fact taht the only thing I had to compare it to was my buddies buddies old bow (don't remember which one) and the old bow that I use to shoot (an OLD Browning Nomad II). Anyways the bow shops around me do not have an '08 Guardian nor do any of them have an Admiral, at least not right now. I have heard nothing but great things about all three of these bows so I am unsure of which direction to go with my choice. I have some time before I have to pull the trigger but am continually keeping my eyes open just in case.

Anyways I was wondering if you guys who have had the chance to shoot all three wouldn't mind comparing both the guardian and admiral against the captin for me? I would greatly appreciate it.

I can't really comment on the new 09 models since I really haven't shot them either. My shop should get them in this week or next.

I can tell you that the Guardian is an awesome bow. I just recently sold mine and kinda wished I hadn't. There is absolutely no hand shock or vibration after the shot and it is still the quietest bow I have ever owned. The drawback that I never liked is that there is about 16 e-clips to keep track of on the Guardian that won't be on the newer bows, plus I shoot with a STS or string suppressor on all my bows, which comes stock on the newer bows. The Guardian has a cable rod and on my BowTech's with the cable rod I always swapped the stock cable slide for a Saunders cable slide, which seemed to perform better.

You probably won't notice a whole lot of difference between the Admiral and the Captain so your real comparision will be between the Guardian and the 2009 models. If you can find a good deal on the 08 Guardian then I would consider it but if not I think you will find more pros than cons with the newer models. No e-clips, no limb caps, no cable rod or slide, and the string suppressor is stock.

Have fun shooting them all and deciding!

Richard
    Archery Outpost
    Tulsa, OK
    Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite & Mission Bows

Shot the '09 Admiral, ' 09 Captain and the General...the Admiral seemed a bit quieter and felt better in my hand than the Captain but there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the two...

i have shot the captian and admiral both alsome shock free bows just like they allways make i dont think that bowtech will ever make something that i dont like i have allways liked them and like them still.

the new 09's are really really nice they have a all 1 piece riser
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Default bowtech

Well I've shot all bows you mentioned. I like the longer bows compared to shorter bows. Question is do you hunt from a tree stand or ground blind or something of that situation. 3D target or whatever. If hunting go short and if you do target stuff go longer. Haven't shot the sentienel yet. I'm kinda partial to constitution and waiting for brigiadier at our shop. They all shot nice and agree with the clips and pins stuff on older bows.

Quote Originally Posted by wyoming4x4 View Post
    Well I've shot all bows you mentioned. I like the longer bows compared to shorter bows. Question is do you hunt from a tree stand or ground blind or something of that situation. 3D target or whatever. If hunting go short and if you do target stuff go longer. Haven't shot the sentienel yet. I'm kinda partial to constitution and waiting for brigiadier at our shop. They all shot nice and agree with the clips and pins stuff on older bows.
    I have typically like the longer bows as well, the previous bows that I have shot that were typically shorter ATA have all felt like toys in my hands. I do most of my hunting out of a tree stand and a ground blind, but I will do some spot and stalk, along with some 3d just for kicks.

Default spot and stalk

Quote Originally Posted by scmelik View Post
    I have typically like the longer bows as well, the previous bows that I have shot that were typically shorter ATA have all felt like toys in my hands. I do most of my hunting out of a tree stand and a ground blind, but I will do some spot and stalk, along with some 3d just for kicks.
    Well I prefer the spot and stalk but do treestand every once in a while and usually get my critter when I do stand. But to take one on the ground 1 on 1 with a deer or elk is awesome. It usually doesn't work out but when it does those are memoriable hunts for a lifetime. I bought the marquis because its 34" and its long enough and shoots well and short enough to do stands and ground blinds if wanted.

I can't compare the Captain to the Admiral, but I bought a Captain 2 weeks ago. Compared to my PSE Dream Season............The Dream Season has a smoother draw. The Captain has a better back wall. If you let the Dream Season creep at all, it wants to let go. I have the Captain set at 70# with 65% letoff and I can hold it all day.
    If you're gonna use the bow for ground hunting or 3D, I'd go with the Captain.
    The PSE is 33 ATA, the Captain is 34 ATA, while the Admiral is 32 ATA. If you don't need the short ATA I'd go with the Captain. Either way they're both great bows.

The Captain and Admiral are a fair bit lighter. The Admiral and Captain shoot very similarly, IMO. I felt the Captain drew more smoothly. I chose the Captain as I like a 34-36" bow. The loss of the E-clips is a big plus, too.
    "Could you guys be quiet. My dad's trying to shoot."
    BowTech........Refuse To Follow.